Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The way of the dirt...

The way of the dirt...

I'm looking at picking up a 2005 WR250F from my uncle. It has about 190 miles on it and is bone stock. I'm looking to add dirt riding to my resume and figured this would be a good way to get started. He's asking $3k for the bike, but I know I can get it for less. I'm seeing them go for around $2200-$2500 on the web. Chain is good, tires good, no rust, no broken bits, just bone stock.

What do I need to look for with the 250F? any problem areas, things that go wrong, etc...that I need to know about before I drop the cash.

Second, I've never ridden dirt before. I'm lower than a noob when it comes to offroad riding on a bike. My first (and only) experience was with my pitbike last weekend in my dad's pit. What gear is the bare minimum (outside of helmet and gloves), what should I do to the bike. I'm looking to go trail riding, not so much MX type stuff with jumping etc... I'm going to try and plate it so I can just drive it to and from a couple local pits/trails near my place.

any insight, advice, riding partners, would be appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: The way of the dirt...

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post
    I'm looking at picking up a 2005 WR250F from my uncle. It has about 190 miles on it and is bone stock. I'm looking to add dirt riding to my resume and figured this would be a good way to get started. He's asking $3k for the bike, but I know I can get it for less. I'm seeing them go for around $2200-$2500 on the web. Chain is good, tires good, no rust, no broken bits, just bone stock.

What do I need to look for with the 250F? any problem areas, things that go wrong, etc...that I need to know about before I drop the cash.

Second, I've never ridden dirt before. I'm lower than a noob when it comes to offroad riding on a bike. My first (and only) experience was with my pitbike last weekend in my dad's pit. What gear is the bare minimum (outside of helmet and gloves), what should I do to the bike. I'm looking to go trail riding, not so much MX type stuff with jumping etc... I'm going to try and plate it so I can just drive it to and from a couple local pits/trails near my place.

any insight, advice, riding partners, would be appreciated.
    I'm game to try pretty much anything on the XT, especially if you are just doing trail stuff. No guarantee I can keep up, but I figure my experience will offset your bike, and your experience will offset my bike.

For gear, I would get a good pair of dirty boots, and a roost guard of some sort (I got a ballistic jacket that gives me chest, back, shoulder, upper arm, and forearm protection for around $160 as a reference, you can get something for cheaper).

Any plans to make it street legal?

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Thats about $1000 to much for that bike. For reference I bought an 06 YZ250F 2 years ago for $2600.00

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

... I'm going to try and plate it so I can just drive it to and from a couple local pits/trails near my place.

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Street, 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 - track

Quote Originally Posted by Baggey22 View Post
    I can't be expected to actually READ what he wrote, jeez.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Dirty boots are an absolute must. And barkbusters. Then add gas and go.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I knew 3k was a bit much. I have to talk him down before anything happens.

Alpinestars boots ok for dirt? I like their stuff for street/track, does it hold up in dirt though?

It already has a headlight and tail light. I found a street kit for like $150. Blinkers, horn, and plate light mostly. I'm not going to bother with a speedo.

What kind of bark busters? Acerbis?

I'll let you know how I feel about a* boots after I steal bhavesh's tomorrow...as far as bb's are concerned, any with aluminum bars is cool. If you want something real snazzy check out highway dirtbikes' ones. Mirrors fold in and stuff.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Alpinestars boots ok for dirt? I like their stuff for street/track, does it hold up in dirt though?

It already has a headlight and tail light. I found a street kit for like $150. Blinkers, horn, and plate light mostly. I'm not going to bother with a speedo.

I have a pair of dirty boots you can try. They really are a must! I tried riding in combat boots and it didn't feel right until I got dirty boots.

Last edited by Doc; 06-03-11 at 07:39 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I have a pair of dirty boots you can try. They really are a must! I tried riding in combat boots and it didn't feel right until I go dirty boots.
    You non gear wearing sonofa...

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

3k is a bit much, but one with as low miles as you say..and knowing the history of it is worth more IMO than buying something off craigslist or the like. The 05 has E-start if I remember correctly?
    Other than the usual chain/sprockets, tires, overall condition, there's really not much to look for. They are very solid bikes and the motors have proven to be the most reliable 4-stroke.

A* IMO are one of the top offroad boots out there. if you're gonna go new, Tech7 or Tech8. The nice thing about the Tech8 is they have removable booties inside, so you can clean them after a ride. It won't take you long to realize how nice of a feature this is. I have a pair of Tech 10 but I don't like them, there's no feel because they are so stiff and no tread on the soles so they don't grip the shifter, rear brake and kickstarter all that well...so I wouldn't look into the Tech10, unless you want to buy mine But i'm not a good salesman, and they really do suck

With the bark busters, I've always used a probend type with the drop. I read somewhere a few years ago that you're less likely to get a wrist injury with the probend type vs the straight bark buster if you crash. True or not, I don't know, but it is something to think about. I've crash tested the Cycra probends a few hundred times and have yet to have a set brake

Yamaha

Worked it out with my Uncle tonight. He's family so we decided on fair price that is less than the $3k he was asking. I'm happy and he's happy. I should pick it up next week..I can't wait to give dirt a try.

Now I have the gear to pick up. Helmet, goggles, boots, busters, oil change, carb clean, and I should be ready to give it a try.

Lifer

I believe this bike may be one that benefits from the highly touted "Grey Wire Mod"...

great bike, congrats. come out to crow hill with us...

Paul_E_D

What size shoe are ya?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Grey wire mod?

Crow hill is a ways away. It's a possibility though, or maybe next year.

Chip, I run about a 43 eu size in A*. Anywhere from a 9, 9.5, or 10 depending on the brand.

Littering and........

Give me a call, I have a few hundred thousand acres out behind the house and need an excuse to get the WR400 running again.

dude. pm me your new number. we will def ride this summer.

Lifer

Grey wire mod?
    IIRC - There is a gray wire somewhere under the seat that has to be clipped to unleash the beast within that motor. Google?

Lifer

Lifer

You may also need the YZ throttle stop mod.... or you can cut the one you have....if these things have not already been done to your new bike.

Last edited by gregp; 06-10-11 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    You may also need the YZ throttle stop mod.... or you can cut the one you have....if these things have not already been done to your new bike.
    You have to use caution when you cut the throttle stop, it has to be perfect in order to work properly. If you don't cut it enough, you don't get full throttle, if you cut to much, the butterfly thingy starts to close the other way

Yamaha

I have a pair of crappy oneal boots size 10 if you want em. They suck, don't get me wrong, but they're free, and better than workboots. Lemme know, and I can make arrangements to get em to the track next weekend.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Chip - can you give them to Brett or John? They will probably be pitted in T1A area. I'll grab you a 6 pack of any VT beer that you want next time I come to the track.

Going to pick it up tomorrow and take it for it's first ride. I just have to figure out how the fuck I'm going to get up on the seat. My inseam is about 30" on a good day. Seat on the WR is listed as 38". This should be interesting lol

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    IIRC - There is a gray wire somewhere under the seat that has to be clipped to unleash the beast within that motor. Google?
    Thanks man. I had no idea that there was a little more beast under the seat of that thing. I'll have to give this a go once I get used to the bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast