Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Dirt bike...............Which one?

Thinkin bout tradin my VFR for a dirt bike. Which one is the best and why.

wayne

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yamaha YZ450F...Lots of POWER in a light frame/chassis

KTM 525MXC...MORE POWER!!!!!!

Honda CRF250X...FUN and easy to handle!!!

I, personally, would stay away from two-strokes because they are(generally) not well suited for trail riding.

I guess those are the three that rise to the top of my personal list. Maybe one of these days, I'll get rid of the KLX300R and get a newer trail/motocross bike.

I'd get a WR450 And it just so happens i have one for sale that is still like brand new AND has a street legal title BTW it's a 2004

Yamaha

Wayne,

My solitary riding buddy is lookin to part with his 1998 Kawasaki KDX220. He bought it brand new as a leftover in 2000. It's pretty mint (he doesn't even like to get it dirty) with an aftermarket pipe and thats about it. Everything else is original (including rings!). Not many hours on it, maybe 30 tops. Thing rides like a dream and it isn't as peaky as most two strokes.

Had I not just gotten an apartment, I'd be all over that like stink on shit, but alas I can't swing another toy right now.

He's lookin to get around $2000 for it. Definitly a good "trail" bike compared to a moto-crosser. Kickstand too!

Always been kept inside and he is rediculous about not "beating" on his bike (even after being out of dirt riding for 9 years, first time out I went out with him on an '82 YZ250 and I thought he was puttin' REALLY slow). It's not officially for sale, but he is lookin to buy another house soon and wants to get some extra cash. If you are interested, shoot me a PM.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Wayne Have I got a deal 4 U !!! WR426!!! Huh Huh!!! It's got BIG Balls!!!!!

Go Big or Go Home !!!!!

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Just Registered

Not a YZ450, not in the woods, not if you're sane at least...see my sig if you're curious as to why I know this

Off the top I'd say Yamaha WR, but the rest of those digits are up to you

The Yam's are solid rides and dominate the 400cc+ F market right now for trailbikes IMO. Honda has an awesome ride with the 250Fx right now, but not a 400+ flavor yet, their CRf can be made trail worthy but much like the YZ it needs some taming. No trail version of the new Suzi/Kawi. F bikes for awhile yet, though the DR-z does make a good dual-purp bike if that's the direction you're going, they do offer a trail-only flavor which is sweet but not on par with the other offerings of the day. KTM is like the Aprilia of the dirty world their stuff costs a little more, and they seem to be a bit more finicky partswise but they make up about 30% of what I see when trailriding, even when I'm not riding because its -20°f outside.

The 250's are sweet in either flavor (MX or Trail versions) but depends what kind of trails you're gonna be on. If doing much more technical stuff and rockhopping, mud bogging, and 1/2 gear stuff over quagmire with some work in 3/4, a 250f may be the better way to go. Though lower power output, it's alot easier to control which means more time riding because you're not spending all your time picking it up from the side of the trail, or expending all your energy trying to corral the beast

If you think you'll be riding mostly (less gnarly) single-track just want to do fireroads, pits, etc., or are a bigger dude the 400+ machines are fun. The 250's can hang with the 400's in many tight spots but it's a different story altogether in the bigger stuff.

Though I should point out now that if you have never ridden dirt, it kicks ass and you should

The bigger bikes weigh a little more and have a smaller window of usable traction, but will climb a redwood if asked. The smaller bikes are lighter + more nimble, and typically as such when combined with the lower power output and less-torquey delivery means allows you a greater window of traction. This comes at the expense of maybe not making it up the giant sandhill (the first time). But that stuff is typically the rider not the bike anyhow

I've had some seat time on the WR426 above and though intimidating it's a pretty posh trailride and will more then fill your needs. You might hear some rambling about the older F bikes being a bear to start but that specific 426 to the best of my knowledge has always been a 2 kicker at most.

The WR450 is of course its newer sibling, more power, more toys, but I need to stop talking about it because it makes me have WR envy (I have the YZ version). Can't talk about kicking this one though cause it has a little gray button that takes care of all that for you .

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Still ussually only takes 2 kicks for the baby! 5 at the most when it has been sitting for a bit, like now. I really should get her out for a rip some weekend soon....

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

I bought a Duke S4R instead. Thanks everyone.