Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which Dirt bike

Which Dirt bike

Hey I want to get into dirt bike riding but I'm not sure what bike to get. I'm 5'10, 235 lbs. I know their are different styles of dirt bike for motocross, doing jumps and shit but I just want one to trail ride. If I was looking to buy new what bikes should I be looking at. KTM, HONDA, YAMAHA etc.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jay-

2007 Ducati 1098S

Re: Which Dirt bike

Brand doesnt really matter. They will all do the same for you. I have a 125 stroke which is more then capable to ride trails and motocross. They can be a little tricky if youre not used to sliding the clutch and hearing a bike scream all the time. A 250 four stroke might be a bit easier and a little more forgiving for a newb to the dirt. More power and you can burp it over obsticles instead of always having to have it lit up. This is assuming you already know how to ride.

James

wr250

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Brand doesnt really matter. They will all do the same for you. I have a 125 stroke which is more then capable to ride trails and motocross. They can be a little tricky if youre not used to sliding the clutch and hearing a bike scream all the time. A 250 four stroke might be a bit easier and a little more forgiving for a newb to the dirt. More power and you can burp it over obsticles instead of always having to have it lit up. This is assuming you already know how to ride.

I have ridden before just not recently. I was asking because when i was on the KTM site they have the SX, EXC, XC, and XC-W classes which means squat to me. I see some are two and four stroke but that is about it. Thanks for the info.

-Jay-

2007 Ducati 1098S

Quote Originally Posted by 600rr0504 View Post
    I have ridden before just not recently. I was asking because when i was on the KTM site they have the SX, EXC, XC, and XC-W classes which means squat to me. I see some are two and four stroke but that is about it. Thanks for the info.
    KTM offers many different models, SX=Motocross, EXC=average trail rider, some even street legal, XC= Cross country, XC-W= Cross country-Woods.

If you're set on KTM, go with the EXC line. At 235lbs, I'd think about a 450exc 4-stroke with a street plate.
    I know where I live, having a street plate is the most valuable thing to have on a dirtbike as it opens up several areas to ride.
    The Yamaha WR250 as Kitt mentioned would be my choice if I wanted a jap bike, though I think the orange direction you are heading in, is the better option

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    KTM offers many different models, SX=Motocross, EXC=average trail rider, some even street legal, XC= Cross country, XC-W= Cross country-Woods.

If you're set on KTM, go with the EXC line. At 235lbs, I'd think about a 450exc 4-stroke with a street plate.
    I know where I live, having a street plate is the most valuable thing to have on a dirtbike as it opens up several areas to ride.
    The Yamaha WR250 as Kitt mentioned would be my choice if I wanted a jap bike, though I think the orange direction you are heading in, is the better option

I'm not set on anything I was just using their site as an example. That is the exact kind info I was looking for. Thanks alot man.

-Jay-

2007 Ducati 1098S

I see your over in Newton, I'm in Hampstead. When my wrist heals you could come riding with us some time. In our area, get something you can get a street plate on, it opens up much more local riding. That narrows it down quite a bit. If you want a plate, and are looking used, only buy something with a State title. You won't get it plated with a cert of origin, that was made out to someone else from the dealer. Cert of origins are not transferable, don't let any seller tell you otherwise. The exception, is if the bike is 15yrs or older, no title needed at that point. A ktm or husky 250 fourstroke sounds like it would fit your needs pretty well. They will be buzzy on road stretches though. If you want to try something bigger, come by and you can try my 09 KX450 and my husky 610. I have been racing the 450 and am plating the 610, and am going to dual sport it.

Quote Originally Posted by netra709 View Post
    I see your over in Newton, I'm in Hampstead. When my wrist heals you could come riding with us some time. In our area, get something you can get a street plate on, it opens up much more local riding. That narrows it down quite a bit. If you want a plate, and are looking used, only buy something with a State title. You won't get it plated with a cert of origin, that was made out to someone else from the dealer. Cert of origins are not transferable, don't let any seller tell you otherwise. The exception, is if the bike is 15yrs or older, no title needed at that point. A ktm or husky 250 fourstroke sounds like it would fit your needs pretty well. They will be buzzy on road stretches though. If you want to try something bigger, come by and you can try my 09 KX450 and my husky 610. I have been racing the 450 and am plating the 610, and am going to dual sport it.

Sweet man thanks alot. I honestly don't have a clue when I would be buying one. I have alot of bills right now so who knows. I usually research the shit out of things so when the time does come I have some idea what I am buying. My wife sees me build and price things out online and she says I am spending my monopoly money lol. Atleast now I know a local rider though.

-Jay-

2007 Ducati 1098S

No problem, my dirtbikes just sit now and I seem to only ride the VFR. Plating the 610 though may change that.

Nice still trying to get my bike on the road.

Last edited by 600rr0504; 08-10-09 at 06:57 PM.
    -Jay-

2007 Ducati 1098S

Littering and........

I started on a Kawasaki KDX220, which I still have.

Its a terrific starter bike for a number of reasons - its very light, it kick starts super easy (never more than a kick or two), and it has lots of useable power all over (especially for a 2 stroker).

Personally, I'll never own a dirt bike without a street plate. Its too much of a pain in the ass to load on a truck when you want to ride. Just throw your gear on, hop on the bike, and go.

If you want to try out the KDX sometime and feel like making the trip to VT, I'll take you riding.

Man you guys are too damn nice. I know it is a dirt bike but I have never met anyone who would let me or anyone ride their bike. Maybe it is because I am from the city and have grown up not to trust anyone but when I sold my CBR 600RR I made the guy put the 5000k in cash in my hand before he could ride it.

Deffinalty good people on this site.

-Jay-

2007 Ducati 1098S

Quote Originally Posted by 600rr0504 View Post
    Man you guys are too damn nice. I know it is a dirt bike but I have never met anyone who would let me or anyone ride their bike. Deffinalty good people on this site.
    Yeah, I got news for you though, you don't know highsider to well, he's got a goat!!

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by highsider View Post
    it kick starts super easy (never more than a kick or two),
    Which brings up another good point...get something with E-start. Off road riding takes a LOT of energy, especially for a newer rider. You'll be surprised how much energy will be used just to try and kickstart your bike when it's in an odd possition. And trust me when I tell you, you and your bike will find some odd locations to rest
    If you want to try a KTM big bore, let me know, I've got the bike and the trails

Yamaha

Lol good to know.

-Jay-

2007 Ducati 1098S

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Which brings up another good point...get something with E-start. Off road riding takes a LOT of energy, especially for a newer rider. You'll be surprised how much energy will be used just to try and kickstart your bike when it's in an odd possition. And trust me when I tell you, you and your bike will find some odd locations to rest
    If you want to try a KTM big bore, let me know, I've got the bike and the trails
    If I remember corredtly the new KTM 125SX are also going to be electric start. VERY NICE. Its a really nice feature to have especially if you get stuck on a hill.

James

That stuff is why I started this thread. I had no idea what I should even be looking for like a plated bike and an e start. Great info guys.

-Jay-

2007 Ducati 1098S

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    If I remember corredtly the new KTM 125SX are also going to be electric start. VERY NICE. Its a really nice feature to have especially if you get stuck on a hill.
    e-start 2-stroke?

I've ridden xr250, xr400, and I own a yz250.

I ride trails.

The 250, is a blast. Ligther than the 400, more than enough torque and power to get you up any hill, and the suspension is set up for trails. 1st gear is pretty short, but it is still a fun bike, and you would be able to get one cheaper, and they're rock solid. I don't think you can make this road legal in mass though.

The 400, is a heavier xr250 with more power. 1st gear is way more useable, its got great torque, the offroad suspension such as the 250, and rock solid like the 250 as well. I know in mass you can make an xr400 road legal, but i dont think its that easy.

My yz250 is like nothing else. It's completely stock. I've ridden some other 250s before, and none have been as reliable as mine. First kick, everytime. Only time it doesn't go first kick is if i fall and it sits on its side for awhile. Then its 2 kicks. It idles perfectly. The power is like nothing else, but it can be a bit tricky climbing hills and in the technical parts of the trails, cause you gotta keep it in the revs. Gears are short, and its an on or off power band. Your either going no where, or you're having trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground.

Its way more fun than the 4 strokes, but not as comfortable in the woods, but its something to get used to. The pre-load of the suspension will send you flying with a blip of the throttle off a rock. Thats something that can be tuned down, but why would you It will have more problems down the line. The 4 strokes is pretty much change the oil, clean the air filter, bikes gonna run great. With 2 strokes you gotta deal with top end rebuilds, mixing gas, and all the other issues that come along with.

Can't make it street legal in MA either.

I bought this bike to sell it and buy a 4stroker for the woods....now after riding it, I can't part with it, its just way way way way way way too much fun.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    e-start 2-stroke?
    The 250 and 300 EXC-E's are already available, I believe. The 200's and 125's did not get the e-start system for '09. 2010? I have not heard anything yet.
    To the OP, just be truthful to yourself about what kind of riding you want to do. I have to agree with many here who advise you to get a street plated bike if you are going to be trail riding. MY DRZ is just too heavy for anything serious in the tight stuff.
    I do have a KDX200 with a street title that I am looking forward to getting finished up.
    If the majority of the trails you will be riding are tight, you will not need a 450 4-stroke bike. Most bone stock MX bikes will beat you up pretty badly with their stiff suspension and violent power delivery.
    Check out the NEDB classifieds for a plated enduro or dual sport bike that has already been set up for woods riding.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Can't make it street legal in MA either.
    Sure you can! All it takes is money and effort! I have had street plated (MA) CR250's, 500's, KDX's, KTM's, etc.. There is no reason you can not get your YZ on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Sure you can! All it takes is money and effort! I have had street plated (MA) CR250's, 500's, KDX's, KTM's, etc.. There is no reason you can not get your YZ on the road.
    I might start a new thread, but...how do you get a title? I live just a few miles away from (shhh ) trails and would rather get a plate than a trailer

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    To the OP, just be truthful to yourself about what kind of riding you want to do. I have to agree with many here who advise you to get a street plated bike if you are going to be trail riding. MY DRZ is just too heavy for anything serious in the tight stuff.

I really don't know what type of trail I will be riding. If I could get a bike that is pretty good in the tight stuff and open trails but not great in either that would be fine by me. I won't be out to set land speed records just have a good time.

-Jay-

2007 Ducati 1098S

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    I might start a new thread, but...how do you get a title? I live just a few miles away from (shhh ) trails and would rather get a plate than a trailer
    Need a real title. Can be a bitch to get if previous owners cant prove that they paid sales tax.

Need lights with receipts to show they are dot legal.

Need to dick around with the DMV.

James

Lifer

Eh. That's the *hard* way to do it, but you can go about it that way.
    PM for the easy way.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast