Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

first dirt bike.....

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

first dirt bike.....

I had posted a botu a 18 months ago for suggestions and just getting to buying one now.

Found a few listing.. based on some reccomendations

2003 Honda CRF 230 about 1500 ( issue with won't stay running unless u give it gas)

Kawasaki KLX 250 '03 about 1500

Yamaha TTR 225 2003, about 1200

Any other ones i should keep an eye out for?
    I like the idea of electric start....

but an xr 20 or 250 doesnt have it but also has the street legal possibility
    XR 250?

Any of those prices i should jump on?

thanks for any insight

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: first dirt bike.....

steal the 230 for 900 and then clean the pilot jets and enjoy.

Paul_E_D

those aren't giveaway prices...

i'd try to stick to the ttr230 if you go yami, the 225 is really gutless.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    those aren't giveaway prices...

i'd try to stick to the ttr230 if you go yami, the 225 is really gutless.
    2 years ago I picked up a very clean used 2006 TT-R230 for my nephew for $1,100. The 225 is much heavier and more of a parts bin type bike from Yamaha.

What type of riding do you plan on doing is the big question?

Yamaha

Had the pleasure of riding a 225 for a little while. It is a dog. Slow and heavy. The seat has more suspension than the suspension. Nonetheless, I had fun riding it.

Steve
    Work Hard---Play Harder

When you go to look at a bike, expect it to be cherry. There are people out there that don't really use their bike, or take really good care of them and sell them for the same price as those that sell junk boxes.

Go in with high expectations, and don't fall in love and end up settling for less. In the end you'll spend a lot more money to get it up to spec. Check out a few ads and a few bikes and you'll start to get a feel of what to look for...glaring defects will stand out on some bikes, so you'll know to look out for them on other bikes.

I don't know a lot about the KLX250, but as others mentioned, the TTR225 is a heavy, slug of a bike. I know it's tempting because you can typically get an early 2000's model for ~$800 on a good day, but unless you are confident in riding within its limitation,s it might be good to pass. The Honda CRF230 is a good starter bike, and it replaced the rider/woods friendly XR200R...while that price isn't something to jump on, I would look around and try to find a 230 that's in top shape, at a good price, and pick that up.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-23-10 at 03:57 PM.

For what it's worth, the TT-R 225, TT-R 230, and the CRF 230 all have about the same power. The biggest change is the lighter weight and more friendly suspesion on the 230 models.

Yamaha

If you can swing the extra cash for the street legal KLX250, it's definitely worth it.

The power is not intimidating, but the suspension is very capable... worlds above the crf230 and ttr's (both of which my wife owned before getting the KLX)

Having said that... the CRF and TTR's are both fine playbikes.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

good input here.. thanks...

I'm looking to sue this bike as a trails bike really. no MX yet..
    It is my first dirt bike but not first bike by any means.

I was hoping mondo's xr was stil for sale but it isnt.

The KLX would be my first choice but I'd rather not pay more than 1500 for a bike and I"m looking for a good deal.

hmmmm......

Lifer

The KLX is the better bike of all you have listed here, IMO. But, if it is a KLX*250*, it must be a '94-95 version, or else it would be a 300, or it might be a KL*R* 250. Be careful, that is a completely different bike, and not nearly as competent as the KLX250-300. Look for inverted forks.
    The newer ('08-10) KLX250's have directionals and are street legal out of the box. If you find one of those for $1500 - buy it.
    My 1994 KLX 250 had a TM-33 pumper carb, a Thumper racing 300 kit, and Race Tech gold valves in both ends, and was one of my favorite trail bikes of all I have owned. I wore out the cam chain after many, many hours of off road abuse, but it was easy to replace and cost me $80. Weak peg mounts, and the low position of the pegs were that bike's only issue. Radiator shrouds are kind of hard to come by for the 250's, but not for the 300's.
    My KLX had a street plate, and the 6 speed tranny made it perform well as a commuter.
    Edit: I see that you have listed the KLX 250 as an '03 - It must be either a KLX300, or a KLR250.

Last edited by gregp; 03-24-10 at 03:49 PM.

Just something to add, someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

Making the jump from an xr200 to an xr250 or from a crf230 to a crf250 are huge differences. Only looks like a few ccs, but the size/power delivery are a lot different.

I'm sure the other brands have the same sort of thing going on, but I am just aware of the honda instances. Again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Just something to add, someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

Making the jump from an xr200 to an xr250 or from a crf230 to a crf250 are huge differences. Only looks like a few ccs, but the size/power delivery are a lot different.

I'm sure the other brands have the same sort of thing going on, but I am just aware of the honda instances. Again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I have had both a xr200 and a crf230 and have ridden an xr250 and a crf250. The CRF250 motor is faster revving and higher revving, especially in the R model. The XR200 and the CRF230 are comparable. But 4 stroke power is really nothing to be scared of.

You should just get the KTM200EXC with a plate...now you might have to be scared of that power haha.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    But 4 stroke power is really nothing to be scared of.

Believe me I know that, thats why I ride a 2-smoke.

I just didn't want him to expect to the two to be really similar, he might be dissapointed with the power of the 230 or 200, but seeing as it will be his first dirtbike, probably not.

But again, another comparison. KDX220, 2-stoke just 30ccs less then a kx250....HUGE difference in power. Something I didn't know about til I rode a kdx and was expecting to be holding on tight.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 03-24-10 at 04:58 PM.

Believe me I know that, thats why I ride a 2-smoke.

I just didn't want him to expect to the two to be really similar, he might be dissapointed with the power of the 230 or 200, but seeing as it will be his first dirtbike, probably not.

But again, another comparison. KDX220, 2-stoke just 30ccs less then a kx250....HUGE difference in power. Something I didn't know about til I rode a kdx and was expecting to be holding on tight.
    Yea I also had a KDX200. Great bike..I just sunk it in the river too many times and got sick of replating and buying pistons haha. My last 2 stroke was a RM250..and yea...it went pretty damn good. There is nothing like hitting that powerband with a tree in front of you. God I miss having a 2 stroke.

Yea I also had a KDX200. Great bike..I just sunk it in the river too many times and got sick of replating and buying pistons haha. My last 2 stroke was a RM250..and yea...it went pretty damn good. There is nothing like hitting that powerband with a tree in front of you. God I miss having a 2 stroke.
    Yeah, I seldom have a ride where I don't say one of these lines to whoever was behind me, "you see me almost die back there" or "you see me die back there?"

If I don't say either, then I didn't ride hard enough. I can't even imagine what its like for the mx guys.

But done with the thread jack, hope the OP got at least some useful info from me.

I'm still pretty new too, and that's more than I know, but I'd say you're correct.

I have an XR200R and the suspension travel is (literally) half of what the 250 has, the engine is tuned down to gutless, and the frame and wheel base could seat a prepubescent 12-year old. The design is entirely different from the 250; so there is a pretty vast difference in addition to that 50cc deficit. If the successor CRF230 is anything like that, then I'm sure the CRF250's would be a step up as you said, but with that being said, I'd say they're still very good at what they're made for.

XR400's are great first bikes!

And if it's titled, you're golden!

They are kick start, but mine always started easily. If you're not doing MX, and XR400 will take you just about anywhere.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

so an xr 400 wil be good for the woods not to heavy or such?

hmmmm......

Yep, the XR400 will be just fine. (assuming you're at least 5'8" and 160lbs?)

Good suspension, good power.

Don't get sucked into the "latest and greatest" thing. Just like with streetbikes... people will say that a 1997 CBR600 is "ancient"... yet I remember racing one and going faster than I do now on my 2008 CBR600.

On 90% of the trails I went just as fast on my XR400 as on my newer bikes... and on some of them the XR was easier.

From 1998 on, they didn't change much (if any). The 96 and 97 were a little different, but nothing crazy.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    Yep, the XR400 will be just fine. (assuming you're at least 5'8" and 160lbs?)

Good suspension, good power.

Don't get sucked into the "latest and greatest" thing. Just like with streetbikes... people will say that a 1997 CBR600 is "ancient"... yet I remember racing one and going faster than I do now on my 2008 CBR600.

On 90% of the trails I went just as fast on my XR400 as on my newer bikes... and on some of them the XR was easier.

From 1998 on, they didn't change much (if any). The 96 and 97 were a little different, but nothing crazy.

That will be a great first bike. You won't be able to throw it around, but it will get you into dirty riding.

That will be a great first bike. You won't be able to throw it around, but it will get you into dirty riding.
    Agreed.

My normal dirbiking partner rides an xr400 so I have had a good amount of time on one, unreal trail bike. Heavier bike, but that weight gets traction. It has PLENTY of tourque throuough the powerband to get the front wheel up over whatever, whenever....or to just hang a wheelie.

Gears are long, plenty of power thats always there, but very manageable and smooth as a 4-stroke should be.

Lifer

XR-400's are very nice. They have great seats, decent range, and great reliability. Plus, they are air cooled, so there are no radiators or water pumps (some people, like me, consider that a good thing).
    On the negative side, they are tall, heavy, and the spark plug is a bear to get at (not that you have to get at it often, though).
    I know a very fast "A" Enduro rider who swears by the XR400's. He even bought a last years edition so he would have a new one when his finally wore out. He is still sitting on it, in brand new condition, waiting...
    So, they can be made to perform at top level racing conditions.

lots of good info here guys.,... really..

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    I was hoping mondo's xr was stil for sale but it isnt.
    PM scottie ducati he is the one who bought it and told me last night he is looking to unload it.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N