Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Dirt bike s tire spikes!

Dirt bike s tire spikes!

Advise?

I have a pair of old tires just at the wear bars and was thinking of installing some spikes or screws from home depot.

Prices for machined screws specially for dirt bikes are around $300 and up in price. I was thinking I could get something from home depot and save at least $200.

Any suggestions on what would work well, and is there a product that could coat the head of the bolt so it will not wear the inner tube???

mike

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Dirt bike s tire spikes!

Ice screws are about 50-60 bucks for 1000, if you know someone with a stud gun,a box of 1000 studs is about 30 or 40 bucks. Screws are better for ice, studs for the trails.

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Dirt bike s tire spikes!

I was told when you spike or stud a bike tire that it should be new. Not too sure why but the prson said all you have is problems with using old tires.

I think it might have to do with the length of the screws needed in the tire so they don't come flying out.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Dirt bike s tire spikes!

Originally posted by PinHead
    I was told when you spike or stud a bike tire that it should be new. Not too sure why but the prson said all you have is problems with using old tires.

I think it might have to do with the length of the screws needed in the tire so they don't come flying out.
    There is plenty of meat left in these tires still. If that is true or not, beats me I say fuck it, I am gonna try it on old tires before I go and wreck new ones..

www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Dirt bike s tire spikes!

I'm gonna do the extra set of tires for my quad with some 1/2" tech screws with a hex head. $6 for 5lbs or free if i find them on a jobsite first
    A friend of mine has a swampy pond in his front yard, we're gonna make a ice track on it once it freezes over with 3-4" of ice

Yamaha

Dirt bike s tire spikes!

Mark, you'll rip through 3 or 4 inches of ice in about 5 laps, wait for 8-10 inches thick ,or bring a snorkel.

Dirt bike s tire spikes!

So will i chew throught the 8-10" of ice in 10 laps? May try it with no studs at all at first, could make it fun and interesting. Snow ice actually has some good traction

Yamaha

Dirt bike s tire spikes!

A buddy of mine said the spikes I nee just d I can order at Performance Cycles, they may even have them in stock ( I bet they dont) But they only cost $25 for a thousand! They are easy to install and work great he said. I will be going probably on the way to Wachusett one might this week to order/ or pick some up!

www.tailofthedragon.com

Dirt bike s tire spikes!

Well I spent more than $25 that I thought, but the guy working there Is a friend of a friend,and he swore by these as did another friend, so I will give them a go.. He said he is on his second winter season with them and only rounded off about 1/2 dozen or so from last years riding. So whens the first ice race?? or a trail ride prior to the spikes going in???

www.tailofthedragon.com