Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

dirtbike for 'bubs

Lifer

Re: dirtbike for 'bubs

I have over 200 lbs of mass to put behind the kicker. I suspect leverage is not a firm requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleTaco View Post
    No DR350 ever came with both e-start and kick start, unless you find an SE model that someone has added the kicker to.
    Thaaats the bit of the puzzle I was missing. Thanks man.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 10-16-13 at 08:09 AM.

Did I say before that there's been a few dr350's at some fishtail days with just streetish ds tires? Because there has. Just saying.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Buy the vapor and be done with it. Covers both speedo and odometer, and as long you have a horn (kids bike squeakers do count), you'll be set. I use air horns on my bike, and I have been pulled over by both local constables and the Green Police, they both says its a great idea cuz it's so much louder than a stock horn. Think Stebel horn.

Regarding the DR350, it's a great bike, but most E models are just that electric. I'm not sure, but some of the older S models are both. My buddy has one lemme check.

Regarding WR's, thus is my second one, maintenance is not much at all. Oil changes, and usual wear items. They are tuned to perform, think what you see at the track re: SM. Depends on how you ride them, beat em, gotta rebuild the motors sooner. Simple.

My guy noted the state cracking down, but that's because of idiots on Motards pulling 70mph wheelies on the highway with barely legal bikes. If the bike is legal being pulled into the shop, it can be made illegal 20 minutes later. Rider responsibility, that's all.

XR400 is a very forgiving bike and will let you ride the roads at speed. Adjust the gearing a bit. If class six/fire roads are more your deal, I'd recommend an XR650L. More than 200lbs light than your DL, street legal, too. Suspension work remains the same.

Took a second, but you'll find a few nesr celebs in here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...565315&page=24

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

For XR650L money, it looks like I could buy a nice clean DRZ-SM.

XR400 has my attention though. Seems worth reading more about: http://nh.craigslist.org/sno/4112547049.html

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Twin View Post
    Rider responsibility, that's all.
    I agree entirely. But I would prefer to not put the guy in a position where he even has to pause. For the cost of a vapor.. just seems like the path of least resistance.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post

Oh hell yes. I dig his plate.

And the yearning for a real woodsy weapon that will come isn't a "problem". You'll need to keep the dr for beer and beef jerky runs, and pick up a smoker by next fall. It's a pretty well established pattern.
    What he said.

Lifer

You guys and your fucking established patterns.

As Phat suggested the XR250/400 with a street reg might be a candidate as well. Ive never ridden one but it looks good, at least on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I love dirt roads on the 'strom. So signs say I might have a problem. Hopefully not a problem of KTM proportions.
    If you like the dirt roads on the strom, I suspect your going to really enjoy a DR350(or similar DS). Like I mentioned, I love bombing the dirt roads and jeep trails jeep trails with mine. It some of the most fun Ive had riding. Now whether you like riding it like a real dirt bike (gnarly stuff, single track ect) is maybe unknown for now, for that stuff I keep the KTM 200.

The DRZ is a great bike too(ive got some seat time). I think you'll find it takes just a little more cash for buy in than the DR though. All DRZ400's are e-start only except a few year 2000 models (DRZ400K). And like the DR any of the e-start models can be fitted with the kicker hardware, as the clutch covers retain the hole for the kick lever.

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Twin View Post
    Regarding the DR350, it's a great bike, but most E models are just that electric. I'm not sure, but some of the older S models are both. My buddy has one lemme check.
    I was pretty sure 90-93 street models are kick only and 94-99 street models are E-start only. If you've got other info i'm open to it though. I think for a "real" dirt bike it's probably pretty important to have the kicker as a back up to the e-start, but for more mild dual sporting e-start alone probably isn't an issue. It sounds like thats more bubbs intentions here...at least to start.

'96 DR350SE
    '00 KTM 200exc

'07 Speed Triple - sold
    '98 YZ125 - sold

You guys and your fucking established patterns.
    He's right. But, I just buy the beer ahead of time and bring it with me in my camel back for emergency uses only, and yes, I did buy, rehab and do regularly use a smoker. Best invention ever.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TripleTaco View Post
    It sounds like thats more bubbs intentions here...at least to start.
    I'm open to kick only. I believe it can't be that bad. But open to e-start too. I find the kick starter novel and think it would be cool to have (another) bike with a kick starter. But I would pay more for a bike with an electric start. Although I suspect skipping the e-start and going for a dirt only non-S that has been converted to get a sticker is closer to what my objective was; a much lighter bike than my DL650.

That Chip posts photos of a DR350 ass-deep in T6 @ NHMS is definitely a turn-on.

Re-reading Gregp's DR350 fanboi-isms, I think an early non-S would be the lightest, most different than my DL650 option running. ... And a giggle to own.

Right on, being open to kick only opens up some good options, early dr350, XR400, early WR ect. I just meant that if you were to go with one of the e-start variants and it didn't have a backup kicker it wouldn't necessarily be an issue for your intended purpose, dirt roads/fire roads ect.

I think the DR350(dirt model) with street reg is a solid plan. All dirt models 90-99 are nearly identical, except the last couple years had the better suspension. You get the pumper carb with the dirt model too!

'96 DR350SE
    '00 KTM 200exc

'07 Speed Triple - sold
    '98 YZ125 - sold

Kicking a big bore single over isn't hard at all. Pull in the decomp lever kick it through twice slowly, Bring it up to TDC and kick it like a rented mule. Should start 1st or 2nd kick. I've done XR600's and my old YZ426 that way, never had an issue. I've been tossing the idea of a DR350 around too.. hmmm we could have like our own gang or something. Patches and vests !!!

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Just my opinion, but xr400>dr350. It's bigger and scarier, but it's more of a dirtbike. The ds dr350 certainly has more creature comforts (6 speed is the true seller, e start secondary).
    Just be aware that if you stall any thumper 350 or bigger when hot, you're either gonna wait a few minutes or get in shape.
    I SUSPECT the dr is easier to start hot. And both should be easier to kick over hot than my old xr600 (don't bother), but it still might wear yo ass out.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

Sounds like I need to read up on XR400's and add them to my CL searchin'.

I've never owned a 'pumper' carb. Sounds like fun.

Why are these things such a bitch to re-start hot? I sometimes get clumsy with the clutch and stall things.

Ultimately I figure I could use the exercise. As Jason keeps pointing out, I am in a shape: round!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    Patches and vests !!!
    Right on. Beware, my vest is high-viz. That's cool with you for our club, right?

Last edited by nhbubba; 10-16-13 at 09:36 AM.

It's just the nature of the bikes. Trail lugging makes the bikes hotter, and the big 4 strokes running hot lean out the bikes too much. Hot start is a great way to restart the bike, but you have to be quick to turn it off as well.

Nature of the beast with a hot stall.

350-400 shouldn't be THAT bad, like I said before, it's a learned technique.

And a pumper is absolutely better than a cv for almost anything, but certainly for a thumper. My lc4 had a cv, and I'd have to mail it a letter when I planned to whack the throttle. (Easily modded, I just never got around to it)
    Just the same pumper=better.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I'm open to kick only. I believe it can't be that bad. But open to e-start too. I find the kick starter novel and think it would be cool to have (another) bike with a kick starter.
    If you get into woods riding, a kick starter is essential. While riding some single track in the Hop/Ev riding area (over two miles from any road), I came across a guy who couldn't start his bike. He was e-start only and had an auto-clutch so we couldn't bump start it. We swapped batteries in the woods and his bike fired right up using mine. His battery was just enough to run my fuel pump and ECU and 3 kicks later I was up and running too. Mine is a 500 with an auto decompression valve and it wasn't too difficult to kick in the woods.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 10-16-13 at 09:49 AM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I got an Orange Vest will it do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dirtbike for 'bubs-orangevest-jpg  

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Lifer

Congrats, your application has been : APPROVED!

I was just scanning through those, that's me on the black/blue GSXR in the series of shots with you coming out of 10(?) bottom of the hill...

Unfortunately that was my one and only track day since I got that GSXR, I was hoping to get out there last month but couldn't. Maybe next year.

No shit, eh!

Hopefully we'll see ya again soon, I'm on a silver sv now.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

e-start not completely necessary...but I have one on my 200se, and it's pretty bitchin...

especially when you attempt the rutted incline single track WOT in 2nd gear...

then downshift to first...start digging the rear tire...and stall in a run...as the bike slides downhill (with the brakes on)

But like I said...not completely necessary...I used kick only bikes before. And after doing it a few times I found the sweet spot for TDC and could get her going everytime

Kick only dr350 seems like the right choice, but I say pick a budget instead of picking a specific model. Then while searching, take the best mechanically sound bike you can find. If you see a ratted dr350se or a solid condition street plated ktm exc/xr400/wr400/husky...buy the latter. Hoard craigslist for "enduro" "plated" "titled" "dual sport" or model specific (dr350, dr 350, dr350s, dr350se, et.c) until you find it...xr400's are the balls, but everyone knows it, so when she's street plated it usually carries a premium

And the appeal to make a pseudo supermoto - forget it...that thrill wears off after a few months of riding it stock because you realize it's a great trail bike for trails and you'd rather enjoy it out in the woods...so by then you will split the duties to your street and dirt bike; the exception being if you're 95% on the street with your dirt bike, then you can wrap some sport tires on the 21/18" rims

supermoto *can* do mild dirt duty (= mostly fire roads with elevation changes...too slippery for mud or cornering hard)

I took the top two pics today...dirtbikes are fun, now get one already

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-17-13 at 01:10 AM.

You would've made it up that hill were you not riding a moped.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

Budget is picked.

I bet sport-y-ish tires wrapped around the factory 21/18" wheels would be good 'nuf for me. Or at least I am more than willing to try it. If this happens, I'm going to be very open to tire suggestions. And I really would like to set this thing up with 2 sets of wheels. Ebay searches tell me that may be a tall order.

I have my position on e-start vs not; not required for this purchase, but I would pay a few bux more for it. My question was if the SE models were both, or just electric. TripleTaco came through with the answer I was looking for there.

Read up on XR400's a bit last night. Yep, more badass. Certainly more badass than the early DR350's. But badass is not a requirement for this excursion. Low buck is. And you guys have it re: the XR carrying a premium. IMO all Hondas do. Guess that's why I keep buying 'zukis.

Speaking of my affliction for 'zukis. I discovered these machines use a cartridge style oil filter instead of the screw ons every other 'zuk I've owned has. No sharing supplies with the SV or DL. Bummah.

By the way, I really like that the DR350 is air cooled.

If this happens then it sounds like I'd need to invest in some more gear too.

And I'd have to convert my trailer to a 2-spot. This'd have to see at least one session at a track day.

Last edited by nhbubba; 10-17-13 at 06:07 AM.