Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

dirtbike for 'bubs

Re: dirtbike for 'bubs

It'd have to see more than one session to justify a set if tires. You're on a setup sv now. While the dr will be a hoot to screw around with, expect it to feel like a wallowing mess. And with the lack of adjustability, there's little you can do about that. If you accept that, you'll have fun.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    It'd have to see more than one session to justify a set if tires. You're on a setup sv now. While the dr will be a hoot to screw around with, expect it to feel like a wallowing mess. And with the lack of adjustability, there's little you can do about that. If you accept that, you'll have fun.
    Chip is right. I took my DL1000 off road just to see what it could do a few times, and it definitely showed its weight, especially when I compare it to my 250lb dirt bike. Whoops, stream crossings, hills, berms. It did fine, but its just big. I always take a few dirt roads home each night to keep my comfort level moving at speed on the DL, but she's a big girl. Suspension sucks off road. DL loves to please me, but you'll have a lot more fun on true dual sport. I've ridden a 1200GS off road as well, too, and their all just big pigs. They can do what you ask, but you have to accept the limitations, like Chip said.

Biggest hassle with the DL will be the clearance, I was worried I was going to rip the collector off on more than one occasion, as the weight make the DL sag mid beam. Big time. Honestly, an XR400 would be great, just buy a vapor or an old 250/650L speedo unit. It will still bolt right up and use the front worm gear to give you what you want for inspection. Buy red, beat it, wash it occasionally, put gas in it. The smoker comes next.

Lifer

...you'll have fun.
    That's about all I'm looking for in life.

Tires would primarily be for local street use. But if it got tires, it would get dragged to a TD. If nothing else, just for shitzngiggles. Poor mans motard, right?

Although the SV isn't perfectly setup either. It's close, but still not feeling right. I need to throw some big-boy springs at it this winter.

I really would like to have a backup street bike on hand. I swear the best 2 weeks of the summer were the 2 the V-Strom was down with its fubar'ed stator.

Phat. I already have a DL650. I am intimately familiar with the off-road shortcomings you mention. My lineup would extend to:

DL650 for touring, commuting, sporting street rides
    SV650 for track, track, and more track - but sadly, nothing but the track
    DR350 for dirt, backup street use, and generally for goofing off

And if I ever get off my ass and put my CB back together I'd have a 'vintage' CB400 in the mix too. Damn, how'd my life get so good?!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    DR350 for dirt, backup street use, and generally for goofing off
    Good luck with that. I bought a "dual-sport" KTM for that purpose and because of how much fun I've been having with it, I've done nothing but make it more dirt focused. It's fully plated and 50 state legal but anything more than a couple of miles on the asphalt starts to get old.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

Yeah. And none of these things is going to cut it for my commute anyway. But I'm considering buying a motorcycle. There is no room for logic here damn-it!

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Good luck with that. I bought a "dual-sport" KTM for that purpose and because of how much fun I've been having with it, I've done nothing but make it more dirt focused. It's fully plated and 50 state legal but anything more than a couple of miles on the asphalt starts to get old.
    True. Every dual sport I have ridden was no fun on pavement. Even the husky 510 was more fun off road (but one hell of a hooligan machine for a 1/2 hr or so on road).

As much as I love Suzuki's just skip the DR and pick up an XR400. You will love it.

what we're afraid of, is that you'll buy it, drop a few hundred bucks into putting street rubber on the 21/18" rims, have fun the first few times, then get bored with it on the street because of its limited capability...better yet, if you can, go ride one first

but you seem pretty determined...so just buy what you want because you know your needs best. Get the street rubber, and you can poop around town, and if it's fast enough, do a lap or two around a TD...doctor's orders told me to get a full size dual sport, but I went with a 3/4 size dr200se, and I love the thing to death. I'm just a happy camper with smaller, air-cooled, 4t bikes.

I even did a (supermoto) track day with it!

You would've made it up that hill were you not riding a moped.
    that is incorrect...I tried a 2nd time with more momentum, and picked a better line and made it up!

casual riding on your days off, who cares? didn't realize it was pissing contest over bike size...just go out & have fun!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-17-13 at 11:12 AM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    but you seem pretty determined...so just buy what you want because you know your needs best.
    Is this in response to me being ready to piss away $100-150 in street tires I may never completely burn up? Or buying the machine at all?

It's like I say, this is a motorcycle; a thing pursued out of passion, not logic.

No, more of him wanting you to get an underpowered undersuspended underbraked minimalist low HP bike. That's just his schtick, he likes to ride those style of bikes. I'm sure he is 100% honest when he says it is a blast to ride. But, everyone is different and I wouldn't consider a DR200 for myself in a similar situation.

You and him are very different sized individuals. I wouldn't recommend you on a DR200 or XR80.

I'd look for an XR400 or DR350. If you find a good deal on a DRZ400, jump on it. Otherwise, enjoy the XR or DR.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 10-17-13 at 12:08 PM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post

As much as I love Suzuki's just skip the DR and pick up an XR400. You will love it.
    Bingo. Better suspension, string motor for the speed you are looking for, too. DR seems like a good package, but having owned an XR250 and also ridden an XR400 as well, that would be my first choice over the DR. Personal preference obviously, but I might argue that Honda's technology, especially regarding suspension should be better than a street oriented DR.

no way, don't get a 200se! the point of that is - buy whatever you want (myself being an example)...everyone's going to give their input, but they won't know what you really want, and in the end it's your money and you riding it

my response was more in response to other people steering you away from your plans

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-17-13 at 12:35 PM.

Lifer

I may very well be talking out of my ass, but I don't think I'd be happy with an air-cooled 200. Given my 'fun size', an air cooled 350/400 is kind of where I draw the little bike line. A DR200 is a non-starter.

Read a little more on XR's. Seems the 5-speed has a pretty good spread, maybe as far as the 6-speed on the DR350. This ADV thread suggests the overall spreads aren't that different. You just get to stir the 6-speed DR's more. ... Trying to remember why I gave a damn about how many cogs the trans had.

<shakes head>

Maybe I need to stand back and figure out wtf I want out of life here.

Fortunately all the prospective $1k SV650's have momentarily disappeared from CL. 'Cause my attention could easily wander back in that direction.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    my response was more in response to other people steering you away from your plans
    No worries man. Nobody's steering me anywhere.. except maybe where I wanted to be steered.
    I asked for input and some friendly BS, not a decision. I know that as well as anyone.

That said, I have no plan!

Come down and rip my 125 Bubs, then you'll know what an MX bike setup for woods is like.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

You around this weekend?

At least part of it, i'll let you know.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

I'll have to limber up for the 2-frickin' hour drive; 1-hour to Peterborough and another hour off the end of civilization from there..

You know google did street view of your road?!

Wow. That was right before they paved it a few years back. My neighbor Ron is splitting wood with my other neighbor in front of his house down the street. Wacky stuff!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

I'm off the XR400 kick. Too dirt, not enough street for me.

Let's reset some expectations:
    - I want a backup street reg-able bike
    - I want a bike that is lighter and more nimble than my DL650 (not hard!)
    - Naked or nearly-naked, no plastics
    - Max budget is ... fuck-it, let's call it $2k all in, ready to ride
    - Would not mind something more mild off-road friendly than the DL650 (not hard!)

I'm not actually looking to buy anything like a real dirt bike. This discussion probably doesn't even belong in this thread.

Options:
    - Convert the SV650 track toy for street use.. has been discussed, (mostly) ruled out
    - Buy a street legal SM, buy off-road friendly spares
    - Buy a legal dual-sport and convert spares to SM or at least 'sportsman'

DR350 aftermarket seems to be pretty minimal. DRZ400 aftermarket is gigantic.

Most regard the Z a substantial upgrade over the older 350, particularly the pre 98/99 350's. You get moar powah, better suspension, brakes, and a more modern motorcycle in exchange for ~30 lbs curb weight, the 6-speed, and some $$ up front. Oh, and they're all easy starting e-start. Although you can add a kick assembly to .. you know, impress chicks 'n stuff.

How dumb is a DRZ400E plus a "sportsman" conversion? That'd be sticky-ish 21/18" rubber mounted up on spare stock wheels with a larger front disk, a caliper relocation bracket, and a different rear sprocket.

Looks like $500 could net me a spare set of 400E wheels via fleabay all day. Used DR350 wheels are few and far between. I hear they are not interchangeable with the 400. But all 400 wheels are interchangeable, with the exception of the SM due to caliper complications. Everyone makes caliper relocation brackets for the Z that accommodate big calipers.

The DR350 seems like a bottomless pit should I feel like tweaking suspension or brakes. (I will, it happens.) Basically my read is the best option for the 350 would be a full fork swap with an RM or DRZ. At which point, why bother?

Mabye just bite the bullet, buy a DRZ400SM and call it a day. Maybe think about 400E wheels + knobbies + extra SM front disk down the road.

Last edited by nhbubba; 10-18-13 at 03:46 PM.

I'd go DRZ400, non SM and enjoy it for a while. Then later on you can look into getting a set of SM wheels for it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

RJ's in Nashua has a DRZ 400 E for $3000.00

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    RJ's in Nashua has a DRZ 400 E for $3000.00
    Seen it. It's on CL. Price seems high. (From a dealer, say it isn't so!)

There are a couple S/E models listed on CL for $1800-2500.

Make sure you can bring it to the Gap next year

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Like I said earlier, looks like I'll need to extend the trailer to be a 2-spot. $30 via HF should take care of that.

We could have wedged an extra ~300lbs DRZ onto that trailer of yours, no?

Beta 200RR