Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

dirtbike for 'bubs

Lifer

Re: dirtbike for 'bubs

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    If it's a plated Klx400r, that's the same as an e.
    It's an SR, same as the DRZ-S. I think I'd rather an E/R. But whatdafaq.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 10-19-13 at 09:50 AM.

The a is a little heavier, with a SLIGHTLY milder engine. I'm pretty positive the difference (aside from the weight, mostly from the street stuff) is negligible. That bike is still a great buy if it's mechanically solid.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Milder cams. CV carb vs 'pumper'. Metal tank vs being plastic. Has a rear sub-frame vs the E/R not having one. Passenger pegs. Gauges vs odo only. DOT lights all around. The early E's had better forks than the rest, but I think they are the same by '03.

I want the carb, someday. (~four bills via fleabay!) The cams .. maybe. The rest I could go either way on. Seems NH will inspect an E with lights bolted to it. Some states will not. This thing WILL get a luggage rack. And the sub-frame seems to make that easier.

Just got off the phone. Battery is dead, but he said his sons friend rode it all summer. Few nicks and dings from off-road use. And he does have some goodies installed.

I told him his price was fair and he could consider it sold. I told him I was coming from NH and he almost shit a brick right there on the phone. Current plan is to head down tomorrow.

Jason, I have no idea why you'd want to come for a 5 hour drive with me. But lemme know. Prolly gonna miss the pats game..

Hey bubba I got some pics of my xr but looks a little late. If things fall through look me up.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

You're doing it all wrong.

dirtbike for 'bubs-xr_1500r_1-jpg

bump start it...did he say how many miles?

and I'm assuming the title is clean, and in his name?

and "his friends' son rode it all last summer" - sort of sketchy description

I can't tell in the picture if there's a kicker on the right side...is that an e-start only?

and if you get it started, and it doesn't idle, are you able to tell if the pilot is clogged through the throttle response?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-20-13 at 01:00 PM.

The ship has sailed, Bhavesh.

Edit: but these before you ride it anywhere you might drop it.
    http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/s...combo-pack/519

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 10-20-13 at 12:59 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

so he bought it already!!

Lifer

It's mine.

Seller was pretty cool. We rap'ed by phone a couple times yesterday. Once while I was out on the 'strom. (BT intercom FTW!) I got a really good vibe from the guy and wanted to buy the bike from him. Buying from NESR-ites has spoiled me; I'm sick of dealing with the standard CL no-title/not as advertised/run-around clown show.

He told me to hold off until he could get the thing started. I almost told him I didn't give a damn about the battery, but he basically insisted. Late yesterday he told me he'd got a charge into the battery and the bike was starting and running fine.

I showed up this AM and it fired right up. I did not ride it, but whatever. He was pretty straight up about the condition-or so I thought-and I wasn't gonna bust his nuts at that price. He had the BOS and title already filled out and ready to rock. Bike came with all the manuals, including the service manual, and a bunch of fluids and filters. It's got a washable filter (meh) and there's a box of crap for taking care of that. First oil change is on him.

Couple goodies on the bike too. Real aluminum type lever guards, I think they are bark busters?! I dunno. But I want 'em. Has a beefy looking aluminum skid plate.

He said he had a couple calls after me. "I'll be by in 5 min and take it right now." Type things. He said he waived them off. Solid, IMO.

Got it home. He was guilty of a few lies of omissions. I asked him about damage. He neglected to tell me the bars were tweaked. And they are tweaked pretty good. I dunno if this photo shows it completely. But the bike feels weird to ride.

Fortunately, netra709 hooked me up with a nice set of bars a couple weeks ago. At the time I was wondering why I was jumping in to take the bars off him. Now I know.

Feels meant to be. Meant to be boys.

Carb looks a little sad panda. They are leaking fuel. Looks like the seal on the bowl to me.

I ripped it around the block. It runs okay I think. The 21 front is frickin' weird. He has geared it down and it tops out at like 70 indicated. Not suitable for my super-slab commute. But I'm totally riding this thing to any local stuff I have for a while.

Poor V-Strom. The 'zuki twins (my DL and the SV) looked rather disappointingly at the Kawi badge. I keep telling them it's really a suzi too.

There are some fasteners missing here and there. Nothing zip-ties can't fix. Not sure about the tires, especially the front. And I'll need a chain guard to get a sticker.

Overall I think it was a damned good pickup.

Another big thanks to NESR-ites for BS'ing with me about these things. Some quality advice, I appreciate it.

Also a big thanks to bstnsboy for offering up his XR400. If I weren't so hot for a DRZ, I think that might have been a helluva buy. Good luck man.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

It's a dirt bike...bars being tweaked isn't a big deal at all and neither is the carb. Looks like a solid bike. Enjoy it! Yeah that tire looks done.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

The bars are definitely bent, but put it up on a milk crate, loosen the triple pinch bolts, and the axle pinch bolts, and the axle, then re tighten in reverse order to straighten the lower stuff out.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Are the bars tweaked, or are the mounts twisted in their bushings?

On the carb, seems like the leak is from higher up than the bowl seal?

Lifer

Photos don't show it right. The right hand grip is bent forward. The support bar crosses the top triple at an angle because of this. I think the bars are forked, but I think the rest is okay. I bet the thing will ride like money once I just swap the bars. I have fancy aluminum bars anyway, might as well use 'em.

You're right. Leak may be from higher up. I am now thinking I should just throw the whole thing out and replace with one of those flat slide things. I hear they are the shit.

Last edited by nhbubba; 10-20-13 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    It's mine.
    Hmm. Your condition might be worse than I thought. Perhaps you should get some ice tires for it!

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Perhaps you should get some ice tires for it!
    Show me the way homes, show me the way. It's like I say, I'll try anything ... once.

So I may have morned the pats loss by going out to the garage, starting this thing, and then romping around my own back yard for 15 minutes. I predict neighbors calling the cops one day. Giggidy.

Also, the skid plate works.

a buddy and a long length of pipe will straighten those bars

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

She needs tires stat!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Alright! I take take my attention off NESR for a couple days and look what happens. Awesome.

'96 DR350SE
    '00 KTM 200exc

'07 Speed Triple - sold
    '98 YZ125 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    She needs tires stat!
    Truth. Let's talk for a second about what you're intended dirt/street ratio is going to be and we'll go from there, Bubs.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

Are the tires really that bad? They feel hard/old to the touch. The rubber feels like shit.. and I don't trust 'em. ... I feel like I'm answering my own questions here sometimes.

Intended riding ratio? FuctifIknow.

Spending way too much time reading about SM conversions, "hooligan mod", scouring fleabay etc.

What I'm currently thinking:

This setup, geared as is for 50/50 on/off road use. Local street riding mostly just to get to a dirt/class 6 unmaintained road and do dumb things in relative seclusion. Maybe trailer it to a far-away place and try "real" dirt riding with some of you clowns. Definitely something knobby.

I'll keep shopping over the winter for some 17" wheels to swap on with sticky summer tires on 'em once summer comes. That set of wheels would get geared for the street. Cross that bridge later. In the meantime, anything I put on this thing will need to be legal to get me inspected.

Okay, okay. Sell me some DOT knobbies. I knew you guys would continue to be here for me as I empty my bank account.

Pirelli mt21 for a little more road bias, Dunlop 606 for dirt bias.

And Clayton will chime in with the shinko tire of choice for more of a road bias too (the one with the big block pattern, streetish tire, I WOULD run it myself)

The 606 will wear quickly on the street if you like to stretch the throttle cable. If you're gentle with it on the street, it'll reward you offroad. That's not to say you can't go fast on the street with it (it'll do WAY more than you think it should) you just will lose life quickly with hard acceleration.
    Edit: I'm talking about either a 1500-3500 mile lifespan depending on how you ride the tire.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 10-21-13 at 10:34 AM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

Heard good things about the Pirelli mt21. Seems like the ticket for me. Tires are <$100 ea.

Teach me about tubes. Never, ever had a motorcycle that needed 'em.

Tubes hold air. They sit inside the tire. If you have a 19" rim, get a 19" tube. That's all there is to know.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Alrighty then. 'Cept I don't have a 19" rim.

Don't have to tape the rims or something?
    Is there anything to these 'heavy duty' tubes vs whatever the hell I can find on amazon/etc?

I'll go with no.

Your rims should have a 'rim strip' which is a loop of rubber with hole(s) as needed for valve stems, etc.