Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

dirtbike for 'bubs

Lifer

Re: dirtbike for 'bubs

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    on the leak - is it on the carb, from hoses dripping onto the crankcases, or on the petcock?
    Honestly can't figure it out. Yesterday I cleaned the bike and tried to clean the carb area hoping I'd be able to tell the new fuel stains from the old.

I also tightened the bowl drain screw. It was the slightest bit loose. But no frickin' way is that the only place it is leaking.

I don't think it is the petcock. The petcock is forward of the carb and that area is clean and dry.

Looks like it might only leak when the bike is running. I think that means the petcock is working correctly.

So yeah, efftifIknow. I'll get it figured out eventually. It isn't pee on on the ground leak, it is a very slow drip leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Cooooooool!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Pick this up Saturday in Maine.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

That looks cleeeeeeean.

pulled the carb checked the float?

usually people don't adjust the float, so I'd go to the float valve next and make sure it stops the flow of gas when the float is pushed upwards

does it cold start easy? or do you have to crank it a bunch while the bike stinks of gas?

garandman!!!! welcome to the dirty bastards!!!

Lifer

I haven't done shit! I haven't even figured out how you get the carb out of there.

It starts fine. Needs full choke at first, but then you have to back it off almost immediately. 5 min later you are good to go with the choke off.

It idles a little low. I think I need to screw with the idle adjustment. I see the knob, but couldn't reach it while riding the other night. Other than that it runs pretty solid.. I think.

Maybe it is the float. Is the drain connected to a hose that goes someplace? Or does it just drip on the block? Hmm... lemme go look at that.

yeah, it's a sit-down-and-tinker sort of experience...especially the first time

find an hour or two when you're going into the carb the first time

and for the hoses, I'll defer to a drz/klx owner...I've had dirtybikes where the drain hose from the float bowl runs back and drains under the swingarm, to others that land on the block, to those that had no drain hoses at all

when you start sitting down and tinkering with the bike you'll find out where the hose goes no sweat

but if it's not the float valve, then check that all the bowl screws are appropriately tightened, and that the bowl sits flush against the carb (which I also think is unlikely...I've owned 2 mx bikes, 3 XR's from 80-200cc, 2 vintage bikes, and a mini dual sport...and IIRC, none of them ever leaked between the carb and the bowl)

Lifer

It looks like there is no hose for either the drain or any overflow.

I cracked the drain screw. Fuel comes out, as expected, and eventually stops, as expected. I think that the fuel stops confirms my petcock (vacuum operated) is okay.

I took a rag to the carb, cleaned it as best I could, tightened the drain, and then set the petcock to 'pri'. No fuel immediately visible anywhere and no leak that I can see. Although I swear I see the seam between the carb and the bowl starting to get wet. But it isn't anything obvious.

Whatever the leak is, it is slow.

It doesn't help that the manual shows all the photographs and illustrations of a different carb. Something for the european markets or something. It has a totally different bowl and some sort of 'joint pipe' going from the bowl to the top of the diaphragm assembly. My carb is supposed to have a type stamping on its side, but doesn't.

If the float is set wrong and/or the float valve is junk, wouldn't the thing run like poop? I had a stuck open float valve on my Bandit once. It would flood the case with fuel. I can't tell if that is happening here as the filler for the oil is way up on the frame neck and there is no inspection port.

Bottom line is that it seems to be relatively minor. I am of the mindset to run it as is until winter, then either take the carb apart and do a full clean and rebuild... or toss it and get a flat slide kit. That is reportedly a very substantial perf improvement for these things.

Fcr increases hp and throttle response at the expense of steady throttle performance. Cv carbs perform better under a constant load.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

The stock CV is 36mm. The FCR is much larger @ 39mm. That plus some airbox mods really open things up.. says the interwebz.

Suzuki lists the float needle assembly alone at >$50! They do not appear to have a rebuild kit.

Ebay and others do though. For $40.

Be cautious of aftermarket kits. At least reuse your old jets. My nephew bought a Moose kit for his Raptor 660 and once installed it would only run on choke or with the airbox inlet half blocked off. I pulled it back apart and used the stock jets and all was well.

Jeff

Sudco can get you parts.

Yeah, Zuki oem needle valves are ridiculously overpriced, but they're the only ones that work Reliably.

I'm not convinced it's not an ethanol rotted vacuum line (or any other gasket along the way) somewhere dripping. Of course, I haven't seen anything with mine own eyes yet .

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

How bad of an idea is it to just run the fuggin' thing this way until spring?

Can't be the float needle. Bike would flood and run like poop if it was, wouldn't it?
    But bowl gaskets NEVER leak.. right?

Maybe I'll pull it apart and run it though the ultrasonic cleaner without investing in a rebuild kit.

Oh, bowl gaskets leak alright. Did the guy clean the carb to prep the bike for the next victim?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

just replace the bowl gasket. ( if it is getting wet ) and ride the friggin thing. Leave it outside or in a shed if the ole lady bitches too loudly. Check all the lines that GS I had had a dry rotted line when I first got it and it stunk too. Replacing all the fuel lines isn't a bad thing either for little $

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Lifer

Maybe. Parts of the bike look like they've never seen contact from anything but mud. (The guy never cleaned it, ever!)
    But the pilot plug has been drilled (but not removed). I've never seen a carb where anyone fucked with the pilot. But then I've not seen that many carbs, really.

Almost to the point where I've spent more on this thing than the SV. Almost.

On that note, school me on dirty bike stands. My milk crate isn't tall enough for this thing. Lifting it is a PITA anyway.

http://www.harborfreight.com/350-lb-...and-66552.html
    http://www.discountramps.com/dirtbike-stand.htm
    http://www.discountramps.com/motocross-bike-stand.htm
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...o-x-lift-stand

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    just ... ride the friggin thing. Leave it outside...
    I think this what I'll be doing.

Replacing fuel lines is probably a decent though. All the rubber on this thing is stiff. As you might imagine.

Where do you guys source quality fuel and vac hose around here? NAPA is about all I know. Can I do better?

I had a bowl gasket leak. This one was leaking enough to be pretty obvious but yours could just be weeping.

The harbor freight stand cant be beat for $30. Ive had one for a couple years.

'96 DR350SE
    '00 KTM 200exc

'07 Speed Triple - sold
    '98 YZ125 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I think this what I'll be doing.

Replacing fuel lines is probably a decent though. All the rubber on this thing is stiff. As you might imagine.

Where do you guys source quality fuel and vac hose around here? NAPA is about all I know. Can I do better?
    any MC or small engine repair shop. ~1.00 a foot +/- get extra... and clamps. Even Home Depot or Lowe's in a pinch.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

I run MotionPro clear blue fuel line. You can buy 10' sections of it from Dennis Kirk and other places. I always have some on hand and am perpetually glad I did. It stays flexible in the cold and you can see when fuel is flowing.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Get the hf one, drill the rivets and pull the rubber, bolt a piece of 3/4 plywood or king starboard on and enjoy. Blue loctite the shitty lock nuts that hold the thing together.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I've got close to 20' of clear motion pro floating around the garage somewhere.

It was almost the same price for 25' as it was for a couple feet. You're welcome to half of it.

Lifer

Ooooo, bling bling handle bars. And they are strangely straight too..

Needs more orange so it better coordinates with your avatar pictah .

Lifer

This one goes with my helmet. Kinda.