Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

dirtbike for 'bubs

Re: dirtbike for 'bubs

So if I start a turbo 'busa for bubs thread will that come to fruition after a few pages? I almost feel culpable here. You enjoy that bike!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Nah. 'Bub's is all about the ZX14R. Go big or go broke .

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

No. But please don't start an "upgraded sport-tourer for bubs" thread. 'Cause that is next on my hit list. Hopefully two plus years next. But at the rate I'm going lately..

Wait.. can you get a Givi luggage setup for a turbo 'busa?

Actually, please start a "lets see bubs finish a fuckin' project or two" thread.

If a cheap street legal 1st gen SV happened to jump out at me, I would have a very hard time not giving everyone I know (home-made) cards for xmas this year.

Last edited by nhbubba; 10-24-13 at 10:22 PM.

Lifer

Shit. This thread was started in July of this year. I thought I held out longer than that.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

this shit worked on me

in the words of the Joker - (dirtbike fun) is like gravity...sometimes you just need a little push

I'd imagine someone will make a thread you might might end up at stimilon next year with Kurlon in the headlight class...Kurlon made a thread for me, and that shit worked on me too...

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-25-13 at 01:00 AM.

Lifer

New tires and various other goodies will be mounted up this weekend. I need a chain guard to pass inspection, although I'm not sweating it.

School me on gear. How serious do I need to go? I have pretty good boots in the form of a pair of Sidi Adventure boots. These have a good sole and some serious support up to about 3/4 of the way up the shin. WTF is the rest of this crap you guys wear when riding 'dirty'?!?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    WTF is the rest of this crap you guys wear when riding 'dirty'?!?
    after last falls 'get off' I wont ride with out padded undershorts ! My hip took a good shot and it took months to get better.
    Chest/shoulder/back protector
    Knee guards
    Good Boots
    I also wear a tooth/mouth guard. (think soft football kind)

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Lifer

Are the funny looking helmets with no visor where you wear goggles instead worth investing in? Or is my street lid good 'nuf. I'm guessing goggles just don't fog up as much when you are panting like a dog staring at a ten on a hot day. Other than that, I don't see the difference. Although they are short money compared to a quality street lid.

Lifer

I usually wear the bare minimum, depending mostly on the seriousness/expected duration of the ride. Helmet, and boots are the 2 most important items, IMO, although I have been known to take 20 minute romps in my sneakers/work shoes. Gloves are nice, if you are going to be out for more than 20 minutes. Eye protection - I wear glasses, and they usually suffice. I have riding pants, jersey, a jacket, and a chest protector, but I do not wear them often. The chest protector is rarely taken off of the hanger.
    If you get boots, some pants, gloves, a helmet, and some goggles, the next thing would be some cheap knee pads. If/when you fall, your knee's hit the ground first, most of the time, which is fine if you are in decent shape, and the ground is soft - but if you hit a rock with your knee, you are going to be miserable.

Lifer

Some people wear street helmets for putting around on their dual sports in town. For the most part, you will look like a dork, and be referred to as a "Bullet-Head" if you wear your street bike helmet at any kind of event. The new Dual-Sport specific helmets work pretty well for riding pretty much any bike.
    Personally, I couldn't care less how I look, and I usually wear a plain white, open face helmet all the time. I swap the visor from a short street visor to a longer, more squared off vented dirt visor for dirt.
    The thing about flip down shields is, you will probably be working much harder in the dirt, and a shield will fog up in 30 seconds, and remain useless for the duration of the ride.
    In the end, it is nice to have several different helmet styles to pick from. I even have a MX style downhill mountain bike helmet for summer events. It has big vent holes all over it that work great for catching bee's.

Oh sorry I guess I wasn't complete... standard dirt lid and goggles, MX in the boot pants, ( some prefer over the boot ) and a underarmor shirt under the chect protector and then what ever I feel like for a shirt over that, MX or Wilson sweatshirt, MX boots and gloves .

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Since you're a larger individual like myself, you will probably like over the boot riding pants. Most of the in the boot pants wouldn't fit over my thighs despite having the correct waist.

I still think you will focus more and more on dirt riding than you realize. For that you need quality boots. I was talked into stiff MX boots and while I questioned it at first, I'm glad I went that route. You don't realize how much stress you put on your foot and ankle when you plant it down mid turn or to catch yourself when the bike hits something and becomes unstable. My knee pads have paid for themselves already. When you crash, your knees hit first and there are lots of rocks and roots in the New England woods. If you think you'll be on narrow or over grown trails, a chest protector takes the bite out of branches slapping you. If you're riding in groups with throttle happy people, they also deflect the roost that will inevitably be thrown at you. I've punished my hips and forearms in the woods but haven't picked up elbow pads or padded shorts yet. I'll probably do so over the winter.

Don't wear your street lid in the woods. You'll be too hot and the first time a branch hits your shield, you'll be out $30+ for a new one. MX goggle lenses are under $10 and take abuse better.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I like the pressure fit suits...covers your chest/back/elbows/shoulders/kidney belt and they stay in place better without cutting circulation to the rest of your body (*cough* elbow guards *cough*)

everyone else already covered 'met, boots, gloves, pants/hip/knee protection...that's it

then just don't crash

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

One other thing I wear that You might want is a kidney belt.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Don't forget the duct tape for your nipples. You do NOT want chafed and bloody nips.
    Yes, I'm 100% serious.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Don't forget the duct tape for your nipples. You do NOT want chafed and bloody nips.
    Yes, I'm 100% serious.

I'll second this!

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Helmets are cheap. You can get a fiberglass helmet for under 2hundred. I like oakly goggles or fly. The padded jacket with full protection is not noticeable to me when riding. A jersey and then a camel back pack over it. For the bottom I have alpinestarts free ride shorts and knee/shin gaurds plus boots all covered by riding pants. I feel awkward and naked if I wear any less than that.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

the pressure jacket thing comes with a kidney belt...I don't know if you'd trust cyclegear, but I got the bilt charger pressure jacket for about $60 IIRC...I know most people wouldn't trust a baseball in bilt gear, but I've crashed in it at least 6 times so far...wiping out on MX tracks and tumbling down hill climbs and it held together...works totally fine for the 5-6x/year I do a day trip of dirt riding in the desert or mountains. However, if I rode MX/trails weekly...I'd invest in better quality gear because you fall so much with dirty rides

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

What size is yo head? I have an XL HJC CS-X2, I think. Don't use it anymore, you can have it if you want it. Functional, but its about 5 years old, I think. Try it, if you like the style, put up the cash for a new one.

Let me know. You can take a ride, or I can take a ride your way, and deliver it.

Last edited by Phat Twin; 11-03-13 at 09:33 AM.

Lifer

Thanks man. XL is too large for me. I'm a medium or large at best. I wore an XL HJC for a long time but now realize that's way too big. I'm in a medium Shoei street lid now. I think I'd rather plunk down $70 for a new helmet that fits well than risk bouncing the noggen around in an oversided helmet. But that's a helluva solid offer. Thanks!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...o-glory-helmet
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...voltage-helmet
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...x-fx-17-helmet

This last one is kind of awesome.

Some of these are poly helmets. Which I am generally opposed to.

Just my opinion, on this. Take it for what its worth.

I bought an AFX to use for a trip to California, didn't want to drop the coin on an Arai/Shoei DS right off the bat. The helmet fits ok, but due to its structure and components, it really loud (wind noise). Also the foam and other components are not comfortable (read: sandpaper like), and the strap sits really far back, digging into the jaw and neck. I read that review many times before I bought in, but I bought it anyways and suffered with it for 2K miles. Sold it right away when I returned.

Get an HJC in your size, or, try a Vega helmet. I had Vega in a street version, super light, really comfortable, minimal buffeting, and about the same price point. DOT approved, but the same as the AFX.

Good Luck.

Lifer

Vega okay. HJC okay. AFX sucky.
    How about Scott? MSR?

Last edited by nhbubba; 11-03-13 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Nah. 'Bub's is all about the ZX14R. Go big or go broke .
    No way, I see a Beemer Boy in the making.

Lifer

<Looks in garage> Suzuki or bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Yes, I'm 100% serious.
    Chipper is such a generous guy that if your wife or gf rides, he will apply the tape personally, remove it and perform a safety inspection, all at no charge.