Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 87 of 98 FirstFirst ... 74767777879808182838485868788899091929394959697 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 2439

Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

Re: Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

I am indeed sore from the weekend, but mostly bruises. Crow hill was pretty intimidating with the better riders literally flying over my head on the jumps. Body position is totally different from 'knee out' road riding and i'm still working on the 'foot out' style. WVRC was much less intimidating and although I took a few tumbles it was a lot of fun! The knobbies tore up the track a lot and I could see how it might be even more fun/consistent if everyone was on dirt track tires. This weekend has left me thinking I should have bought a much smaller dirt bike for my first time as the power put me on the ground quite a few times this weekend. And I want to try to get some more time in the woods and see what that's all about, maybe try out some of these enduro races.

Let's get dirty...check here for rides.-img_1067-jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by tucktuvak; 08-26-19 at 12:13 PM.
    YouTube: The Motorcycle Room 2015 R1 - 2009 KX250f

Quote Originally Posted by tucktuvak View Post
    WVRC was much less intimidating and although I took a few tumbles it was a lot of fun! The knobbies tore up the track a lot and I could see how it might be even more fun/consistent if everyone was on dirt track tires. This weekend has left me thinking I should have bought a much smaller dirt bike for my first time as the power put me on the ground quite a few times this weekend. And I want to try to get some more time in the woods and see what that's all about, maybe try out some of these enduro races.
    Another more wallet friendly option is to try and find a set of used wheels for you bike and shod them with Bridgestone TrailWings. The TW's are really good enough for most of us, particularly if you're just going to do fun days. True dirt track tires for full sized bikes are 19" front and rear, which of course requires a pricey wheel purchase.

Another VERY fun option if you want to play some more; pick up a CRF/XR100, TTR125, etc and mount a set of TrailWings on there. Flat tracking a little bike is a hell of a lot of fun, plus they make a sweet pit bike.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Ha! yeah, what is that? YZ250? THat's a lot of bike and the power will put you on the ground many more times before it beats you into submission, or you are rippin fast.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Ha! yeah, what is that? YZ250? THat's a lot of bike and the power will put you on the ground many more times before it beats you into submission, or you are rippin fast.
    wait fer it...

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    It's a TM Racing EN 250, in my sig. Unique, fun bike but makes the prospect of finding "a set of used wheels" or any other last minute parts pretty daunting. My prius dirt bike carrier hogs all the attention too.
    Let's get dirty...check here for rides.-inkedimg_20190824_115524_li-jpg

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

How's the ride quality? Some airbags next to the rear springs might make it a lot more tolerable.

Does that TM borrow parts/specifications from another major bike, like a Yamaha or Honda? I feel like it'd have been silly for them to go design their own hub and fork mounts.

If you like the idea of an Enduro, there's a Turkey Run coming up between now and the next Enduro. Pretty much the same thing - minus the start/finish line. That and the Turkey Run's label the hard sections with routes to skip them, while the Enduros do not.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    How's the ride quality? Some airbags next to the rear springs might make it a lot more tolerable.

Does that TM borrow parts/specifications from another major bike, like a Yamaha or Honda? I feel like it'd have been silly for them to go design their own hub and fork mounts.

If you like the idea of an Enduro, there's a Turkey Run coming up between now and the next Enduro. Pretty much the same thing - minus the start/finish line. That and the Turkey Run's label the hard sections with routes to skip them, while the Enduros do not.
    The Ammonoosuc turkey run? Looks fun and sounds like just what I'm looking for to get my feet wet. I don't notice a difference in ride quality up front, but I definitely do need to get some sort of airbag or heavy springs to help out with all the weight.

It has a marzocchi fork so it probably shares a lot of front end parts with the BMW 450x, I remember reading somewhere that with custom spacers a honda front and ktm rear with custom spacers, but I don't currently have access to a lathe and I'm not sure where I could buy the spacers!

It's a TM Racing EN 250, in my sig. Unique, fun bike but makes the prospect of finding "a set of used wheels" or any other last minute parts pretty daunting. My prius dirt bike carrier hogs all the attention too.
    i've heard those TM motors are animals, mostly MX-focused guts with a bit of 'enduro' tuning here and there ... how's the power delivery? if you need help with any TM parts or info, talk to Steve at AfterHoursCycle / PlusOnePerformance ... he sells factory-build TM flat-trackers too so might have a bunch of woods and flattrack info for you.

pretty sure i've ridden some of those N. Reading trails with Jay a while back, would love to venture out there again sometime if you need a partner.

Beta 200RR

A turkey run is a great way to see if you will like an enduro. It's usually a very similar course with a much more laid back environment. I'd like to race some enduro this year, hopefully in the fall when the other racing is over. I haven't ridden off road since I decided to give my femur an extra joint this spring, but I don't think it will be too bad.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Lifer

The Ammonoosuc turkey run? Looks fun and sounds like just what I'm looking for to get my feet wet. I don't notice a difference in ride quality up front, but I definitely do need to get some sort of airbag or heavy springs to help out with all the weight.
    Not sure what your trail experience and physical fitness level is, but if it's minimal, the Ammonoosuc might be a bold choice. As long as you're good with that, I think you should still do it. At least one of the days. Worst case scenario you're only half way through when the trail sweep riders catch up to you and will divert you back to the road. But you'll still have had plenty of seat time by that point. Plan to be one of the first out the gate in the morning to give yourself the most time.

A lower commitment option is one of the several 'Fun rides' coming up later this year. They'll have trail loops laid out comparable to sections you'll see on an enduro/turkey run/hare scramble. See bottom left corner: https://www.netra.org/wp-content/upl...RASchedule.pdf I'll be at the Ammo ride both days, and then probably the Woodchopper fun-ride.

nedirtriders.com

A lower commitment option is one of the several 'Fun rides' coming up later this year. They'll have trail loops laid out comparable to sections you'll see on an enduro/turkey run/hare scramble. See bottom left corner: https://www.netra.org/wp-content/upl...RASchedule.pdf I'll be at the Ammo ride both days, and then probably the Woodchopper fun-ride.
    i'd like to try and hit the Woodchopper Fun Run, haven't done that one yet, but i'll def be at Jack Frost

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    i'd like to try and hit the Woodchopper Fun Run, haven't done that one yet, but i'll def be at Jack Frost
    Ya I'll probably be at the Jack Frost too. I think this might be the first time they've done the Woodchopper fun run. But I did the woodchoppoer hare scramble and it was amazing. Done a turkey run over some of that property too and it was great terrain. The harescramble course itself was a little whooped out after the fast guys were done with it though.

nedirtriders.com

Ya I'll probably be at the Jack Frost too. I think this might be the first time they've done the Woodchopper fun run. But I did the woodchoppoer hare scramble and it was amazing. Done a turkey run over some of that property too and it was great terrain. The harescramble course itself was a little whooped out after the fast guys were done with it though.
    cool, will drop a line when both get close ... i'm thinking my 6 y/o could do the Woodchopper Pee Wee Scramble the 14th then both of us could ride the 15th. not sure the 5 y/o can hack it just yet.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    i've heard those TM motors are animals, mostly MX-focused guts with a bit of 'enduro' tuning here and there ... how's the power delivery? if you need help with any TM parts or info, talk to Steve at AfterHoursCycle / PlusOnePerformance ... he sells factory-build TM flat-trackers too so might have a bunch of woods and flattrack info for you.

pretty sure i've ridden some of those N. Reading trails with Jay a while back, would love to venture out there again sometime if you need a partner.
    Closest thing I have to compare it to is a Subaru WRX as far as power delivery, haven't ridden any other two strokes. It's hard to keep the front wheel down when the power hits in the first few gears.

I'll definitely take you up on that offer, though not sure when I'll be hitting them next.

Regarding the turkey runs and fun rides I'll try my best, physical fitness is generally good, trail experience is somewhat limited but I grew up mountain biking so the trails feel pretty comfortable. Hope to meet up with some of you guys at these events!

i know its a long shot, but me and Drinkingmymilk are going to be riding the Thomaston Dam in CT on Friday morning. looking to get there around 8 and be riding about 830, wrapping up around 12.

the Dam requires a CT ATV plate (CT Money Grab) or ANY OTHER STATE ROAD plate. they have never checked paperwork, so you can take an old MC plate or current one, and zip tie it to your triples and you'll be good to go.

If anyone is interested in joining us let me know.

Lifer

Post-ride review: Rocktoberfast Enduro lives up to the name. That's the first time I've ever ridden October Mountain. Kinda glad I've never ventured out there for a trail ride day, though I did enjoy the enduro. Challenging for sure. And I'm really glad I got to see it mostly dry. If that had been post-rain, it would have been brutal.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

Post-ride review: Rocktoberfast Enduro lives up to the name. That's the first time I've ever ridden October Mountain. Kinda glad I've never ventured out there for a trail ride day, though I did enjoy the enduro. Challenging for sure. And I'm really glad I got to see it mostly dry. If that had been post-rain, it would have been brutal.
    sweet you made it! if you tracked GPS i'd love to see it, curious how they linked the areas together. we try to get out there a few times a season, finally getting a proper loop in my head.

Beta 200RR

last year after a week of rain was just ridiculous.
    Ive ridden that event a couple times in the dry and (obviously) had way more fun.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Beta 200RR

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

That whole, when people are all trying to get up a stopper of some sort and it is seemingly accepted practice to smash into other riders, while you are trying to get past them on the stopper, would completely ruin this type of event for me.

Probably why I don't do this type of riding.

Don't get me wrong, if a rider ahead of you falls over mid attack on an obstacle and you are behind them at pace if you can't avoid bumping them or their bike then that is one thing but when both riders are stopped on an obstacle and the passing rider has no hope of getting by the rider being passed without hitting them.......where does the line get drawn at what is acceptable and what isn't?

Lifer

None of the photos or videos do that section of trail justice. It was tough, it only has a small rock-filled creek as run-up, and it was kinda U-shaped like a half-pipe. As a result, it caused everyone to bunch up. C-riders were given a shorter route sheet that went around this section. Our camera man is riding A-class and still on the struggle bus Most of the event you're riding pretty much alone or with the occasional rider near-by, kinda like what's seen in the rest of the clip.

I'd say walking pace, getting real tight with someone or even slightly making soft contact is tolerated. Smashing is to be avoided, but sometimes shit happens. At 0:37 the guy in black comes blasting through. He had momentum. Arguably better to keep moving and help clear things up than it is to stop for the sake of being friendly. As for some of the other moves, with all the 'steps' of rocks it's a little tougher to predict exactly how close you're going to be to someone if you finally hop the tire over the lip. Sometimes we need the context too. If you've spent the past 2 miles trying to get around some guy who rides wide, it makes more sense to stick your nose past him in a rock garden just to close the door.

I've seen a few moves where it feels like the other rider is a robot - 'go go go' with no real plan of action. They're the minority. I don't like being on top of people, or fighting it out. But the bulk of the day is still pretty much like a trail ride.

nedirtriders.com

Trying to get some more dirt riding in before the season ends! Looking at either MX101 or trying to do some trail riding at a TBD location this Saturday if anyone wants to meet up and show me around some spots, preferably within a 1.5 hour radius of Boston.

No 101 for me this weekend, MAYBE 207 on Sunday but I suspect the weather will veto that option.

None of the photos or videos do that section of trail justice. It was tough, it only has a small rock-filled creek as run-up, and it was kinda U-shaped like a half-pipe. As a result, it caused everyone to bunch up. C-riders were given a shorter route sheet that went around this section. Our camera man is riding A-class and still on the struggle bus Most of the event you're riding pretty much alone or with the occasional rider near-by, kinda like what's seen in the rest of the clip.
    we were back out there weekend before last, lots of big blowdowns from the previous storm which kinda sucked but so pretty with all the yellow leaves. i miss living out there this time of year. it was wet but traction was decent. got about 40mi in.

Trying to get some more dirt riding in before the season ends! Looking at either MX101 or trying to do some trail riding at a TBD location this Saturday if anyone wants to meet up and show me around some spots, preferably within a 1.5 hour radius of Boston.
    can't ride Saturday but was thinking of hitting Hodges Village Dam on Sunday. haven't been in awhile ... if you haven't been there yet you should check it out. excellent mix of flow + tech.

Beta 200RR

I thought the video bike was Clinton for a while. My MX type setup would NOT be happy on that trail, but it does look pretty fun with the exception of the washout. I didn't see any overly aggressive riding there?

Paul_E_D