Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 91 of 98 FirstFirst ... 115171818283848586878889909192939495969798 LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 2439

Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

Re: Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    So, this was a good time. Class was limited to 20 people, we had NHMX to ourselves to make custom loops on for running various drills. AJ's theory of operation was to get everyone standing on the bike, in the right 'attack' position and then let everything flow from there. For me, he filled in a couple holes in the standing position that finally made it 'click' and got my confidence on track way up. Throw in rut/berm riding drills where brakes were off limits, and often clutch hand was off the bars and again, confidence increased. Towards the end we worked a couple jumps, I didn't 'clear' any properly but 4th tapped did happen. If Dave arranges another I'll be sure to post up, AJ should be running more classes in New England this year.

Now, if you need me I'll be flopped on the floor likely drooling while trying to recover from school and racing in a short time frame.
    Awesome!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    Where was that? Just picked up a TE150
    Oh nice - how's it compare to the husaberg? I bet you'll enjoy the lighter bike.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Oh nice - how's it compare to the husaberg? I bet you'll enjoy the lighter bike.
    Haven’t used it yet. Just picked it up last week. Nursing a shoulder right now will hopefully try it out next week.

I am sure I will like a lighter bike when I have to pick it up for the 75th time in one day! Let's get dirty...check here for rides.Let's get dirty...check here for rides.Let's get dirty...check here for rides.Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd definitely be down for an MX school day. Post up if you see another come available please.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Anyone done their OHV reg by mail since everything shut down?

Yup, took about 2.5 weeks to get it done.

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14

2018 Beta 390 RR-S

Cool. Hopefully won’t be long then, I sent mine in a week+ ago.

The check I wrote for the reg cleared overnight, so I should be seeing stickers in the mail next week. Cool!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs up to the Commonwealth, reg was sitting in my mailbox postmarked 7/15. Pretty sure I put it in the mail on 7/9.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Thumbs up to the Commonwealth, reg was sitting in my mailbox postmarked 7/15. Pretty sure I put it in the mail on 7/9.
    Ya there's been some other reports on FB that their response rates have been decent. At least for a straight forward check-cashing routine.

nedirtriders.com

Lifer

Not sure if anyone else here races much, but pre-signups are open for this Sunday's JDay at NHMX. I'll be there.

nedirtriders.com

Not sure if anyone else here races much, but pre-signups are open for this Sunday's JDay at NHMX. I'll be there.
    I hadn't planned to, but now I'm considering it. How intense are these for a novice rider? Looks like 2 30 minute motos, but this would be my first ever dirt race so trying to get a sense for what it's like.

Last edited by tucktuvak; 08-12-20 at 11:15 AM.
    YouTube: The Motorcycle Room 2015 R1 - 2009 KX250f

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by tucktuvak View Post
    I hadn't planned to, but now I'm considering it. How intense are these for a novice rider? How long are the races?
    30min race (~10mi), and you do two. One in the morning, one in the afternoon. Typically first half the lap is part of a moto track, then it heads in to the woods for a bit, eventually merging back on to the track.

Physically, they're very demanding no matter what level of rider. In terms of technical skill, I wouldn't say they require a ton to bring up the rear of novice class. If you can do a full lap on a moto track without struggling, you've got half a Jday course covered. The woods stuff I've seen is usually fairly tame. If you're a very inexperienced rider, it may not be ideal. Like if you usually struggle to get over roots. Most novice trail riders will do alright. There's an 'extreme' section, usually with endurocross features like log crossings or a rock garden. There's also an 'easy' go-around that's a bit longer as the trade-off.

Youtube highlight reels mostly feature the top level of rider, but novice class has plenty of less experienced riders bumbling around. The scramble in to the first turn can be a bit of a clusterfuck. That's easy to avoid by being slow off the line if you're trying to keep the risk down. If you don't like faster riders getting by you, then you'll have some shouty folks breathing down your neck a lot. But also easy to fix.

At their last race, guy parked near me was riding a TM. The race format welcomes spectators too. The starting line can be busy, but there's plenty of places elsewhere around the course if you want to keep your distance.

nedirtriders.com

Hmm sounds good. I checked out some of the videos/course preview and it looks fun. I've done enough practice days to get around a mx track without too much trouble, especially if it's relatively hard packed, though I did struggle on the deep sand sections of Wareham MX. I can get over roots fine, and have been going woods riding pretty much weekly for the last couple months. I registered for a membership so if I can get a pre-reg I'll give it a shot and see you there!

Remember, trails are open at my place, I have a dirty bike again. Ping me whenever you feel like going for a rip, I can usually fit one in after work.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by tucktuvak View Post
    Hmm sounds good. I checked out some of the videos/course preview and it looks fun. I've done enough practice days to get around a mx track without too much trouble, especially if it's relatively hard packed, though I did struggle on the deep sand sections of Wareham MX. I can get over roots fine, and have been going woods riding pretty much weekly for the last couple months. I registered for a membership so if I can get a pre-reg I'll give it a shot and see you there!
    Awesome. If you qualify for the age classes (30+), they're a little less rowdy. Rule of thumb be there 2hrs before first race. Pace yourself on the first lap - easy to get caught up in the action and tire yourself out. Make sure under your visor is clean and not oily for the RFID sticker transponder.
    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Remember, trails are open at my place, I have a dirty bike again. Ping me whenever you feel like going for a rip, I can usually fit one in after work.
    Past month's flown right by! Hope you've been putting some hours on the bike. I gotta make some time and get over there.

nedirtriders.com

Anyone riding Sunday that's not the jday event?

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14

2018 Beta 390 RR-S

Ended up riding at Franklin for the first time with a local fast guy. Place is like all other legal riding areas in MA. Sacked out boneyard. Not to say it still isn't fun, but they do zero trail maintenance in this state. Our money is just being taken from us. They need a lesson from the people who manage clough in NH.

We did ride some other great stuff too. a little hard enduro detour into an impassable jungle right as the rain started...

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Ended up riding at Franklin for the first time with a local fast guy. Place is like all other legal riding areas in MA. Sacked out boneyard. Not to say it still isn't fun, but they do zero trail maintenance in this state. Our money is just being taken from us. They need a lesson from the people who manage clough in NH.

We did ride some other great stuff too. a little hard enduro detour into an impassable jungle right as the rain started...
    did you cross the tracks?

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    did you cross the tracks?
    It wasn't pretty, but yes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Wrentham is better maintained, and probably a little less boney. But it's well ridden and generally rocky terrain. However - as I understand it much of the trail-work done there is by volunteers from the local NETRA club - KPTR. And aren't the people who actually do the heavy lifting at Clough another NETRA club of volunteers?

The last time I rode the long side of Freetown I was a little annoyed to see the brush is growing in on the trail quite a bit, and several downed trees that have been down for a while. Yet seems like half the times I'm there, the sticker patrol is rolling around the parking lot. I have no problem with the sticker, but feels like 100% enforcement and 0% of what they claim the sticker is for.

nedirtriders.com

Lifer

There are (or were) at least three clubs that did trail work at Clough; two ATV clubs and MVTR, a NETRA affiliate. Naturally the ATV clubs are not particularly motivated to work on the single track. That falls entirely to the motorcycle club.

I believe Clough is also maintained in part by paid NH fish & game staff. The one cat I met that did this work had a fairly low opinion of dirt bikes. "You guys really tear that place up! It's a shame." Something like that. He was pretty vocal that it should be shut down except for "sleds".

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    There are (or were) at least three clubs that did trail work at Clough; two ATV clubs and MVTR, a NETRA affiliate. Naturally the ATV clubs are not particularly motivated to work on the single track. That falls entirely to the motorcycle club.

I believe Clough is also maintained in part by paid NH fish & game staff. The one cat I met that did this work had a fairly low opinion of dirt bikes. "You guys really tear that place up! It's a shame." Something like that. He was pretty vocal that it should be shut down except for "sleds".

Most that ride have no clue how much time and effort it is to maintain a decent trail system. I have almost 8 miles on my property and I no sooner get done with winter storm clean up, now they are a mess again from the recent tropical storm. I was only able to host one ride while the trails were all passable this year.

As for the bike vs ATV and ripping up the trails, as a rider of both, and an owner of my own trails, I can say with certainty that dirt bikes to far more environmental damage than the ATV. The bikes trench and cut into the root line causing erosion, where most of the ATVs do not cut into the root line.

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Most that ride have no clue how much time and effort it is to maintain a decent trail system. I have almost 8 miles on my property and I no sooner get done with winter storm clean up, now they are a mess again from the recent tropical storm. I was only able to host one ride while the trails were all passable this year.

As for the bike vs ATV and ripping up the trails, as a rider of both, and an owner of my own trails, I can say with certainty that dirt bikes to far more environmental damage than the ATV. The bikes trench and cut into the root line causing erosion, where most of the ATVs do not cut into the root line.
    Did my first JDay on Sunday, so fun! Racing C250, we were the first ones out in the hill climb section of the course. The difference in the condition of the woods section from the first lap to last lap was crazy and I can't imagine what the course looked like by the end of the day, or what it would take to rehabilitate that trail to something 'fun and flowy'.

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post

Speaking of rides at your place....

Also, you should come by and check out the Rehoboth proving ground sometime! Sundays have been good lately with the GP season running consecutive weekends. TV setup outside (with plenty of space) to watch Moto2 and GP, then turn some damn laps in the woods.