Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 92 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1252728283848586878889909192939495969798 LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 2439

Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

Lifer

Re: Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

Quote Originally Posted by tucktuvak View Post
    Did my first JDay on Sunday, so fun! Racing C250, we were the first ones out in the hill climb section of the course. The difference in the condition of the woods section from the first lap to last lap was crazy and I can't imagine what the course looked like by the end of the day, or what it would take to rehabilitate that trail to something 'fun and flowy'.
    I'm not sure they make much rehab effort on the stuff we rode. Forget it exists and come back to it several years from now, or cut new sections in next time. A lot of that is just sheer volume over such a compressed amount of time. And with that kind of race format, many riders use the 'twist it and hope' technique to get through some stuff, where a trail ride you have more time to pick another line or make a couple attempts.

By the way, if you even remotely enjoyed that, check out a NETRA hare scramble as soon as they're able to put one on. 100% woods, 1.5-2hrs, and a little less 'ride at 10 out of 10 every second of the race' because it's not sustainable. That might just sound longer and less exciting, but it isn't.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Most that ride have no clue how much time and effort it is to maintain a decent trail system. I have almost 8 miles on my property and I no sooner get done with winter storm clean up, now they are a mess again from the recent tropical storm. I was only able to host one ride while the trails were all passable this year.

As for the bike vs ATV and ripping up the trails, as a rider of both, and an owner of my own trails, I can say with certainty that dirt bikes to far more environmental damage than the ATV. The bikes trench and cut into the root line causing erosion, where most of the ATVs do not cut into the root line.
    Yeah. Was more a comment on the lack of spending reg money on trails. It does make what's there more challenging anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

As for the bike vs ATV and ripping up the trails, as a rider of both, and an owner of my own trails, I can say with certainty that dirt bikes to far more environmental damage than the ATV. The bikes trench and cut into the root line causing erosion, where most of the ATVs do not cut into the root line.
    I'm not going to disagree with that viewpoint however what I see out on the trails that I ride is there is a small subset of the ATV crowd that insists on going off trail to test the capabilities of the 4X4 systems of the ATVs that they have purchased, as any of us would like to do I am sure, and the damage they do to the area around the trails is massive. If I see an area that a dirtbike has gone off trail due to some mishap it is sometimes difficult to see where they went once off trail and where they came back on.

Thinking about the singletrack trails I ride the majority of the singletrack is just that, nothing too much worse then hikers do walking in the woods. When it comes to the more difficult sections then yes I can see where the 2 wheeled traffic has torn up the landscape quite a bit trying to hamfist it to the top of climbs that can be climbed with throttle control rather than polishing roots if so desired. This may be related to the amount of years these trails have been in use as well as some of the trail users riding habits. I would hate to see what the 4X4 utility quads would do to the landscape on some of the rougher sections of the singletrack.

I missed the last one, but jday is at nhmx again this weekend. Never been there, but looks fun. Running in C Vet.
    Anyone else going?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post
    I missed the last one, but jday is at nhmx again this weekend. Never been there, but looks fun. Running in C Vet.
    Anyone else going?
    I'm preregistered. I really enjoyed the course at the previous round. Track had nice berms and good dirt. Woods bit was a little more technical than I'd expect from a Jday, but nothing you haven't seen before.

nedirtriders.com

Well, didnt have a chance to come find you Alden. Day didn't go as planned.
    F'd up on the track on the first lap, and separated my shoulder (ac joint separation). Not going to lie, it's painful and there's nothing to really do for it other than let it heal. Going to see an orthopedic in a couple days so they can check it out though.

Lifer

F'd up on the track on the first lap, and separated my shoulder (ac joint separation). Not going to lie, it's painful and there's nothing to really do for it other than let it heal. Going to see an orthopedic in a couple days so they can check it out though.
    That sucks. You do that on the moto track, or in the woods? Some surprisingly square edge hits had already formed by my first round. I looked you up on the live results and didn't see anything so I figured you bailed due to the rain. I almost did myself. Was quite surprised how dry the place was all things considered. I felt like I rode strong, but pretty meh on the results. I guess it could be worse - my limbs all still work Hopefully that doesn't take long to heal : https://mudslinger.org/adv-2020/

Not sure if you got to see the hill climb, but it had some spectating value.

nedirtriders.com

weather yesterday was dreamy .. .

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    That sucks. You do that on the moto track, or in the woods?
    Never even made it into the woods...
    The little jump just before the left into the woods is where I bit it. I came into it, the lip was bigger than i expected and panicked. But trying to think about it, I don't know if I chopped and went over the bike, or whiskeyed it and supermanned.

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    weather yesterday was dreamy ..
    I know! Was perfect weather wise.

I had the same injury, ended up having it fixed surgically. It sucked, I should have just let it heal and dealt with having a low shoulder.

I sprained my other AC joint Friday at the track, I had almost forgotten how much fun shoulder pain is.

Dang, lots of injuries all around this weekend. Hope everyone has a good outcome. Heal up.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Never even made it into the woods...
    About 20min south of the track on the way up, I passed a wrangler with moto hitch carrier that looked like it had t-boned a car that pulled out in front of them at a 4-way intersection. Never even made it to the track. So..... it could be worse. Which I'm sure makes your shoulder feel so much better.
    The little jump just before the left into the woods is where I bit it. I came into it, the lip was bigger than i expected and panicked. But trying to think about it, I don't know if I chopped and went over the bike, or whiskeyed it and supermanned.
    Ya the right side was quite a bit bigger than the middle/left and had a bit of a pop to it. Felt more like the kinda jump where you can land wrong, the whole bike rebounds and bounces up, followed by getting shitwhipped in to the ground. Especially since the landing was soft-ish sand and variable surface.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    I had the same injury, ended up having it fixed surgically. It sucked, I should have just let it heal and dealt with having a low shoulder.

I sprained my other AC joint Friday at the track, I had almost forgotten how much fun shoulder pain is.
    Yeah, it sucks. I managed to pick my dirt bike up myself, then realized things were popping and hurt like hell. Laid the bike against the bank and stepped off track. Almost blacked out in the emt buggy.
    As superficial as it is, I thought I had nice square shoulders before, and now I'm going to have a low one. Womp, womp. We'll see what the ortho says, but if it can heal non-surgically, I plan to just go that route.
    Any bad arthritis or pain come from it after?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Hope everyone has a good outcome. Heal up.
    Thanks. Never even broken a bone before, so I didnt know what to think with the pain. Knew something was bad though. Haha.

man, bummer to hear on the injuries! +1 to the heal up wishes ... sucks right before prime dirty season

Beta 200RR

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

I had an AC joint issue years back and my shoulders are still square. At least I think they are. Thought the shoulder slump was mostly from broken collar bones?

Forgot to check in here, but got a couple hours in at HVD this morning. Super pumped with the CRF, it’s starting to click a lot better now. I’ve been thinking of selling it because I wasn’t sure it was the right bike, I think the truth is EVERYTHING at my house is so tight I just have the bike bottled up the whole time. Fitness is lacking a bit because I’ve been super lazy for safer at home, but I had some really nice moments towards the end of the ride.

Had a weird issue that ended up being tire pressure, but I was getting an oscillating feeling from the rear of the bike when the speed would get up, and it would get worse as I went faster. Thought I had a flat at first, then I was convinced the rear wheel was crooked. I thought I had myself set to 12/12 but when I checked again I had 14 psi in the rear. Dropped it to 12 and the oscillating went almost entirely away. Could probably stand to drop it another pound.

Big thanks to Clinton for towing me around, dude knows his way around and can link some really nice loops together. He should start an HVD guided tour side business.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

depending one the stiffness of the tire you run, i was always pretty happy at 10psi out back. I ran the front a little stiffer at 14 on the 4t, but a few less on ye old 300.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Running 110/100-18 MT-16’s, you’re probably spot on with 10 psi. I may give the Ibex a try, checked them out on Clinton’s whip and the treads are like gummy bears, cheaper than the Pirelli’s too. May also go for a 120 width next time as well.

Anyway, super pumped about the ride today. Finally having a tight bike with suspension that really works is really confidence inspiring. Started pushing harder towards the end of the day and it seems like the harder I push it, the better it feels.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Big thanks to Clinton for towing me around, dude knows his way around and can link some really nice loops together. He should start an HVD guided tour side business.
    great to see you, man! amazed the place was empty with weather like that ... thanks again for letting me take the 450 for a quick ride, i'm still shocked how manageable it was. and that suspension, still jealous. i gotta give C-Cycle a call and see if they have done any work to Lucky/Sachs before. man that was some supple stuff.

pumped you got out, we'll do the full loop next time

Beta 200RR

Let's get dirty...check here for rides.-119140761_2128047290669608_7635875265991135911_o-jpg

Waiting for paint to dry and some parts to come in before I finish assembly and give it a try in the woods.

I’ve been running the Maxis rear that’s a combo of trials and enduro, it’s the standard tire that comes on the KTM FreeRide 250. Works really well with the roots and rocks around my place.

We had a good ride Saturday, maybe 25 total miles. The conditions were the best I have ever had here, not a spec of mud, but just enough moisture in the ground to keep the dust low.

I’ll probably host a ride Columbus weekend again if interested

Let's get dirty...check here for rides.-470ba15b-143a-4a0c-b7e7-55c2b6bfa532

Yamaha

I’ll probably host a ride Columbus weekend again if interested
    Yep, definitely post up for that.

Bit of clear and ride last night behind the house. I have a TON of dink and duck riding back there, not a lot of places where I can stay in the throttle for long, working on improving that. There was one particular section that has a decent straight on either side of the corner, but the corner itself was a bitchass little hitch. I was able to clear out a more sweeping inside line that is the tits now. Before you'd have to shed a ton of speed, then point and shoot through the gap. Now you can back it in and throttle through the corner.

It used to go to the left of the skinny tree in the middle:
    Let's get dirty...check here for rides.-newcorner1-jpg

You can see the old line pretty well looking at it from the flip side:
    Let's get dirty...check here for rides.-newcorner2-jpg

Anyway, it's a hoot to ride now. Gotta keep working on areas similar to this. Some sections I think I just need to widen the trail to let a natural line develop, some will be a new cut.

Did some switching up on my cockpit this weekend. On my KDX (which is like a 7/8 scale dirt bike) I needed to run 2" risers to get my hands in a comfortable position. When I had the CRF built I just dumbly defaulted ordering a set of those PLUS running a high bend woods bar. Hands have definitely been riding too high so I swapped out to a standard height riser. Also got my ergos fixed up a bit; moved the clutch and brake perch in line 1.5". I was operating the clutch pretty much on the nook by the fulcrum, my clutch hand/forearm would be smoked in an hour of riding. Got those inboard and now I'm out near the ball of the lever, a quick 40 minutes session last night was much better. Set of EE bark busters is on the way, I've come too close several times.

Also, I'm really not looking forward to giving Leatt $600 for a neck brace and chest protector....but that needs to happen real soon.

Did a bit more cutting last night, finding some alternate lines that are going to flow much better than the original layout of whoever cut the quad trails way back when. Honestly I'm just chasing more time with the throttle open, more to come on that and I think I'll head out tonight for some more cutting.

Lastly, a hearty shout out to Devol Engineering! When I bought the bike it came with one of their skid plates, but it had been on so long I had to cut the mounting hardware and brackets to get it off. I called them this morning to get a complete hardware kit, they were super helpful and it only cost me $19.50 for the parts.

There will be a very early morning session at Freetown this Sunday, meeting a buddy at the trail head at 6:30 AM. Planning on riding til lunch.

Lifer

Set of EE bark busters is on the way, I've come too close several times.
    I tested mine yesterday, for roughly the 376th time.

At one point I was tempted to put some risers on, but glad I didn't. Think it would have been a handicap in the turns. I don't like a bar in my lap, but I think you want it as low as you can tolerate. A bar with a lot of sweep back also feels lower than it is.
    Honestly I'm just chasing more time with the throttle open, more to come on that and I think I'll head out tonight for some more cutting.
    Don't forget you may eventually scratch the itch on wide-open and start wishing for some tight stuff. I did the harecramble in CT yesterday and there is something incredible about being out over the bars, slicing between tight trees, using the rear brake to collapse the front end to tighten up the turns because you won't make it if you don't.

nedirtriders.com