Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 41 of 98 FirstFirst ... 213132333435363738394041424344454647484950516181 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 2439

Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

Re: Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Are you doing anything tomorrow?
    I could be down for a hurricane ride.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Let's get dirty...check here for rides.-img_4469-jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

^ sounds like a good time, thnx for the heads up. pretty sure i'm in.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Let's get dirty...check here for rides.-img_4469-jpg
    IN!

bumparama ... anyone else doing the PSTR event ? i'm def in and think i have a +2 coming with . looking forward to scoping new trail

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Riding the Tri-State Extreme Turkey Run instead...

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    bumparama ... anyone else doing the PSTR event ? i'm def in and think i have a +2 coming with . looking forward to scoping new trail
    I was supposed to work it and help the club. Instead i have to do real work

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Anyone riding on the weekend of the 1st-2nd of October?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Ehhh I drove up and rode crow hill yesterday. Hardly any berms. They were watering it and it was slick as shit.

Beautiful day, but truth is, I sucked at riding my dirtbike. No hard crashes or anything, just discombobulated, slow, and almost some bad crashes even though I was just trying to take it easy.

Thinking back on it now, I remember an older guy who's opinion on dirt riding I respect, telling me once that "the most dangerous time on a dirtbike is when you ARENT trying to go almost as fast as you can. THAT'S when you get hurt." Dirtbikes don't work like they want to unless you are hard on the gas, or hard on the brakes, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    I was supposed to work it and help the club. Instead i have to do real work
    bummer. one of my buds just bailed and the other is on the fence. if Aria is out i might just ride local instead. not cheap at $70+ for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Anyone riding on the weekend of the 1st-2nd of October?
    yup, most likely. you looking to do woods or MX?

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Ehhh I drove up and rode crow hill yesterday. Hardly any berms. They were watering it and it was slick as shit.

Beautiful day, but truth is, I sucked at riding my dirtbike. No hard crashes or anything, just discombobulated, slow, and almost some bad crashes even though I was just trying to take it easy.

Thinking back on it now, I remember an older guy who's opinion on dirt riding I respect, telling me once that "the most dangerous time on a dirtbike is when you ARENT trying to go almost as fast as you can. THAT'S when you get hurt." Dirtbikes don't work like they want to unless you are hard on the gas, or hard on the brakes, I guess.
    i kinda felt like that last weekend, just couldn't get my flow going, looking down too much, etc. it's totally true that if you aren't riding somewhat aggressive, no matter your skill level, you're going to have a worse time and most likely eat it a few times. really need to work on my endurance because of this. once you start to let off everything goes south.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    "the most dangerous time on a dirtbike is when you ARENT trying to go almost as fast as you can. THAT'S when you get hurt." Dirtbikes don't work like they want to unless you are hard on the gas, or hard on the brakes, I guess.
    Holy shit, how have I survived this long?? I've been going with the smooth inputs combined with the death grip.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Lifer

I'm probably going to head out to Clough tomorrow. Will be on the double tracks if alone.

Crap, I am out too, for some reason I thought it was saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    bummer. one of my buds just bailed and the other is on the fence. if Aria is out i might just ride local instead. not cheap at $70+ for the day.

yup, most likely. you looking to do woods or MX?

i kinda felt like that last weekend, just couldn't get my flow going, looking down too much, etc. it's totally true that if you aren't riding somewhat aggressive, no matter your skill level, you're going to have a worse time and most likely eat it a few times. really need to work on my endurance because of this. once you start to let off everything goes south.

everyone bailed on the Fun Run so we jammed out to Pittsfield SF instead...

man, i haven't ridden out there in sooo long, they deleted half the trail system (!) still had a good time. super duper fall weather, what a gorgeous day. ended up doing the only two 'loops' left at PSF/Balance Rock then continued north up the back side of Jiminy Peak to the summit. my GPS took a dump so we turned back. clocked 30 miles or so total. would like to head back and explore all the stuff above Potter Mtn Road. it's all double track but was more fun than the PSF marked trails. if we can zig zag that back down to Balance Rock it would be sweet. one trail went out to Greylock from Jiminy but we were afraid to run out of fuel.

ran a 5k yesterday and stood navigating rocks all day today ... knees are BLOWN weekend = success.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Saturday I did 2 loops of Clough double tracks plus the two short rocky single track climbs that are the start of BT. Was alone, so I wasn't going to do the bulk of the single track. But I was anxious to practice the dry river bed climbs. Worked on going slow picking my way through using a lot of clutch and some hops instead of railing through relying on momentum. Some success, some not. I still make some really poor line choices. Still manage to flame out that poor 200.

One solid crash caught me way off guard. Front just doesn't have the traction I think it should. I think I'm ready for a new set of tires front and back. Definitely before the WV swordfest.

Spent Sunday standing on the concrete in the garage maintaining the fleet. Orange SV winterized and tucked in. DRZ is cleaned, back in beater street-mode. KTM is 50% prep'ed for the trip. Knees are killing me today.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

i still need to ride the singletrack at Clough . maybe before the season wraps (?) super jealous of you southern-bound riders

Beta 200RR

Lifer

I'm hoping there will be another NESR pow-wow timed inline with the LRRS banquet. Gets a lot of people not normally in the area into the picture.
    The Clough singletrack has been relatively easy this year because of how dry it has been. Makes me look like I can almost handle a bike. Almost.

Edit: Just realized this may not happen with the Banquet in Braintree, MA and involving go-karting all day. Bummah.

You cats want to ride all hungover like the next day, right?

Last edited by nhbubba; 09-26-16 at 09:40 AM.

So jealous. Been getting bit by the Clough bug lately. Could ride that single track for days.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Saturday I did 2 loops of Clough double tracks plus the two short rocky single track climbs that are the start of BT...
    Worked on going slow picking my way through using a lot of clutch and some hops instead of railing through relying on momentum...
    I think I'm ready for a new set of tires front and back.
    You should consider trying out a trials tire on the rear. For crawling over rocks they are fantastic and do a great overall job in the woods around here. You'll still want a knobby if you go MXing although I saw a few people at Stimilon running a trials tire on the track.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

I think a trials is a bit too dedicated to me. I turn into a real fucktard as soon as I hit mud and need the help of a more aggressive, mud friendly tire there. I think.

I think I'm leaning Pirelli MT-16, just like everyone else. I think Motorbikes plus can sell me one on the spot.
    Really want to try this Fatty front everyone is oohing over. But local availability is a problem.

if you're going to the Oct 8/9 Stimilon event at NHMX, Golden Tyre will prob be there again (confirm with Davo), they sell at reduced pricing and mounting is Fa'REE. maybe see if they'll have the Fatty ahead of time ? def still my favorite tire. felt awesome in the sharp rocks and ledge out west yesterday. 13psi.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Unfortunately I can't make it out there.
    I should just buck up and pay for one to be shipped to me.

You won't be disappointed. It's a borderline game changer.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I think a trials is a bit too dedicated to me. I turn into a real fucktard as soon as I hit mud and need the help of a more aggressive, mud friendly tire there. I think.
    I had the same mentality before I tried one but I'm a believer now. They maintain traction in some pretty gnarly environments and depending on the compound you choose, they wear like iron. The one that I was using during the Classic Trail Ride we were on together had 2 seasons on it and it still climbed everything without a hiccup. I ran it this past year right up until a week before Stimilon before I changed it back to a Vee Rubber knobby even though it still had a lot of life left in it. I've been riding Vee tire and it's also worked great in the woods but I miss the feel of the trials.

The obvious limitations are high speed cornering without berms and cornering on wet grass since there really isn't any tread on the edge of the tire. The tire does flex and conform but things can get interesting quickly. I thought mud would be an issue but if you maintain momentum and keep your wheel speed up so the treads clean, there isn't too much that can stop it.

No doubt the MT-16 is a great tire but I'll still push for you to try a trials. For New England woods riding, trials tires do an outstanding job. You probably don't take your KTM on the street a lot since you have your DRZ, but in my case where I do long rides interconnecting the Class VI roads in my area, the trials tire has the added benefit of being much more friendly on asphalt than knobs.

I think what I'm really saying is I need more wheels. I'd keep the trials tire on most of the time for trail riding, another wheel with a knobbie for MX track riding, another wheel for ice tires, another wheel for studs, and I already have a set of sumo wheels.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I thought mud would be an issue but if you maintain momentum and keep your wheel speed up so the treads clean, there isn't too much that can stop it.
    Something I struggle with. I need the help here. Tire being asked to make up for poor rider skill. WV has more mud and water than Clough normally does and I struggled with the slop last year. Fewer rocky climbs; nothing like River Loop. Were I setting up for River Loop over and over I think I'd be ready to try a trials. But with WV as the first hit on the radar I think a middle of the road MT16 is the right move this time.

WV also has a lot of flat cornering. At least on the sections I think I'll be on. Fewer berms. Very ATV and side-by-side friendly place. Actually it is their focus.

Golden up front MT16 in the rear. Just hit go on an order. Expensive tires! Boss is looking to send me to Europe week after next for work and my prep timeline just got compressed. Looks like 90/100-21 front and 110/100-18 vs stock sizing of 80/100 front and 100/100 rear. I think I have an even narrower rear on right now (tires came with bike). Fat tires @ both ends. Should be interesting.