Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 78 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3858686970717273747576777879808182838485868788 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 2439

Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

Lifer

Re: Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    Then what is a dude who is trying to learn supposed to do?!?!

I meant an easier place to learn and practice.
    Ride the woods till you get tired. Catch your breath. Repeat. What's the experience level, on a scale where 0 is 'still nervous to stand'?

Not sure what's close to you, but the wider trails off the parking lot at Wrentham are pretty beginner friendly. The short loop at Freetown is pretty smooth too, with the exception of the swamp portion but it's pretty short. Good place to turn laps.

Riding with other people lets you redefine what is possible. Also lets someone show you trails, and pick stuff that's good for you. But can have the side effect of feeling like you have to keep moving. I think the ideal is a little of both. Sometimes ride with people. Then go back on your own and try stuff again for as many times until you get bored. I find solo riding better to push my endurance because I can choose when my breaks are, and keep them as short as I like.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Ride the woods till you get tired. Catch your breath. Repeat. What's the experience level, on a scale where 0 is 'still nervous to stand'?

Not sure what's close to you, but the wider trails off the parking lot at Wrentham are pretty beginner friendly. The short loop at Freetown is pretty smooth too, with the exception of the swamp portion but it's pretty short. Good place to turn laps.

Riding with other people lets you redefine what is possible. Also lets someone show you trails, and pick stuff that's good for you. But can have the side effect of feeling like you have to keep moving. I think the ideal is a little of both. Sometimes ride with people. Then go back on your own and try stuff again for as many times until you get bored. I find solo riding better to push my endurance because I can choose when my breaks are, and keep them as short as I like.
    I don’t know where I land on the scale, but I am definitely not afraid to stand...I don’t know, a 3 or 4 I guess?

Having wider trails to start on would be helpful. My endurance sucks though so standing for long periods definitely gets draining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That endurance is just as important as the skills. Where I used to do 5 miles or so and have to stop 3 times to rest, now I can do 15-20 And maybe stop once.

I don't know if there is a better way to gain endurance than riding more. Physically you learn how to ride easier and it takes less effort to maintain a pace, beyond the cardio-endurance aspect of it that you can train on a bike or treadmill or whathaveyou. I think that's a more important factor, I used to cycle often and a 40 minute moto would have me wanting to quit. Now, I haven't done a true cardio workout in years and I can ride an enduro and end it with a smile.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    I don’t know where I land on the scale, but I am definitely not afraid to stand...I don’t know, a 3 or 4 I guess?

Having wider trails to start on would be helpful. My endurance sucks though so standing for long periods definitely gets draining

I don't know if there is a better way to gain endurance than riding more. I know it sounds simple, but its not something you can train without time on the bike. Physically you learn how to ride easier and it takes less effort to maintain a pace, beyond the cardio-endurance aspect of it that you can train on a bike or treadmill or whathaveyou. I think that's a more important factor, I used to cycle often and a 40 minute moto would have me wanting to quit. Now, I haven't done a true cardio workout in years and I can ride an enduro and end it with a smile while riding way faster.

What bike do you have? How do you feel about jumping?

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Lifer

Probably a bit short notice to be useful but I’ll be at Freetown around 3:30-4 riding till sundown or dehydration. I’ll be making loops back to the lot if anyone wants to meet up past that.

nedirtriders.com

Just an FYI, and they should be done by then, but there is a bicycle race in Freetown tomorrow. Don’t quote me on that time bit.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

I’m planning at arriving for the NETRA Classic Saturday morning. Originally was going to camp for the weekend but plans changed. Since I’ll probably be one of the last on the road I wasnt sure I should even mention it here but if anyone wants to meet up lemme know.

nedirtriders.com

Anyone going to The Wick on Sunday? I'm 50-50 on it...

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

rOctober Mtn Sat

Beta 200RR

V Rubber is no longer available, and golden tyre is replaced by Shinko, so the 2 tires I really liked aren't around anymore. I picked up a pair of Mitas to replace them, the front is a 100/90 'fatty' like the the old Golden Tyre, and the rear is know as the 'green stripe super light'. Has anyone tried either of those?

Also, bib mousse's are starting to appeal to me. Who knows what about them?

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

JP is running meeses. I texted homedude, I’ll hit you back with his answer.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

This is what the goat killer had to say:
    So I run the Nitro Mousse. I am currently running the exact size that they suggest on their size chart. Andy Anthony was saying that they run a size larger on Jeremy’s bike. Like a 140 mousse in a 120 tire. I feel a little roll in hard corners with my set up, but I do like them pretty soft for in the woods. I would say my front tire feels like 6 to 8psi and my rear like 4 to 6.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

interesting... so Mitas fatty over Shinko? inquiring minds want to know

-----

fun day in the west today, missed them woods. icing would have been to camp and ride again tomorrow.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    fun day in the west today, missed them woods. icing would have been to camp and ride again tomorrow.
    If only there was an event just like that happening this weekend not far from you

A rock ambushed bike today and cracked up off one of the mount points for my water pump. But no leaks observed yet so obviously it’s fine and good for another round of abuse.

In totally coincidental news one of my radiators has a slow drip leak that I can’t pin point. Hair line crack where the cooling bars meet the end tank?

nedirtriders.com

Lifer

interesting... so Mitas fatty over Shinko? inquiring minds want to know

-----

Nice! Is this October Mountain? We did not find any spot that looked like this pic. My wife and I were up there on Friday - on 4WD ATV's. Lots of BIG blow downs on some trails. We had to winch over one certain blow down with no alternate route on either side. It was rough! It was ROCKY! I was wishing for my bike... We only caught a glimpse of 1 other person - on a Honda CRF with no helmet - as he took off just before we got to him. The worker at the campground told us that the "winter signs" were still up, so many of them did not apply anymore. It was difficult to tell what was legal, and what was not. Almost all of the dirt roads have signs that indicate "No OHV's"...

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Nice! Is this October Mountain? We did not find any spot that looked like this pic. My wife and I were up there on Friday - on 4WD ATV's. Lots of BIG blow downs on some trails. We had to winch over one certain blow down with no alternate route on either side. It was rough! It was ROCKY! I was wishing for my bike... We only caught a glimpse of 1 other person - on a Honda CRF with no helmet - as he took off just before we got to him. The worker at the campground told us that the "winter signs" were still up, so many of them did not apply anymore. It was difficult to tell what was legal, and what was not. Almost all of the dirt roads have signs that indicate "No OHV's"...
    yes, that’s Felton Pond at October. every time i ride there i say, “i can’t imagine doing this shit on a quad.” hahaa.

my GPS lost signal a lot but we did around 20mi on the western/Lee side. i haven’t been towards the eastern/Becket side in a long time.

next time you’re there with a bike try this loop, it gets gnarly but it’s fun...

park at ORV by Spruce Trail, enter there... Spruce > Navin > Tannery > Boulder > access road up > Felton > Switchback > around back side of pond > Felton > access road down > Boulder > Navin > Spruce

sounds confusing but easy when you look at map.

you’re right about the blow downs! there were a bunch on Switchback, which is the worst trail for MORE obstacles. my buddy fucking owned a large tree we weren’t expecting, just executed the crossing perfectly. i was dying, completely amazed. the rocks were enough to deal with, couldn’t stop at all. he was cracking up saying he didn’t think he was going to make it. wish i had video. was awesome.

we were there Saturday until about 3pm. weather and trail conditions were mint... other than the blow downs.

EDIT: btw, for eats after riding October, hit 51 Park in Lee. the 51 Park burger with bacon and upgraded truffle fries is freaking delishus. pair that with some high-octane suds and you've mastered the day. moocho enjoyo

Last edited by typeone; 06-11-18 at 01:24 PM.
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    If only there was an event just like that happening this weekend not far from you
    i know, would love to attend that event some day. worked on Dub Sunday, upgraded front springs, otherwise i was jonesin to ride Wrentham.

bummer on the ambush!

Beta 200RR

Lifer

yes, that’s Felton Pond at October. every time i ride there i say, “i can’t imagine doing this shit on a quad.” hahaa.

my GPS lost signal a lot but we did around 20mi on the western/Lee side. i haven’t been towards the eastern/Becket side in a long time.

next time you’re there with a bike try this loop, it gets gnarly but it’s fun...

park at ORV by Spruce Trail, enter there... Spruce > Navin > Tannery > Boulder > access road up > Felton > Switchback > around back side of pond > Felton > access road down > Boulder > Navin > Spruce

sounds confusing but easy when you look at map.

you’re right about the blow downs! there were a bunch on Switchback, which is the worst trail for MORE obstacles. my buddy fucking owned a large tree we weren’t expecting, just executed the crossing perfectly. i was dying, completely amazed. the rocks were enough to deal with, couldn’t stop at all. he was cracking up saying he didn’t think he was going to make it. wish i had video. was awesome.

we were there Saturday until about 3pm. weather and trail conditions were mint... other than the blow downs.

EDIT: btw, for eats after riding October, hit 51 Park in Lee. the 51 Park burger with bacon and upgraded truffle fries is freaking delishus. pair that with some high-octane suds and you've mastered the day. moocho enjoyo
    We made the mistake of trying Felton first, despite the warning on the trail sign that it was rocky. That trail almost killed me as I not only had to get my ATV around every huge blow down, but walk back and do it a second time to get my wife’s ATV through!

We made the mistake of trying Felton first, despite the warning on the trail sign that it was rocky. That trail almost killed me as I not only had to get my ATV around every huge blow down, but walk back and do it a second time to get my wife’s ATV through!
    hahaa, we saw your tracks then! how far did you get? did you take Felton to Switchback / Schermerhorn?

man, i feel for you, muscling two big ATVs through there would have burnt me up instantly. some of those blowdowns were massive.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

hahaa, we saw your tracks then! how far did you get? did you take Felton to Switchback / Schermerhorn?

man, i feel for you, muscling two big ATVs through there would have burnt me up instantly. some of those blowdowns were massive.
    Yes, we completed Felton and rode Switchback and Schermerhorn. We the ride Spruce, and tried to get back on Boulder, but we somehow got turned around at the water tank, so we doubled back and rode Spruce back to the pavement. My arms were dead! My wife’s ATV has power steering, but mine does not.

I had a couple friends over one day after work last week to ride, one of them was on a quad. I did a few laps on the 250X, then switched over to the YFZ450R quad, the quad kicked my ass hard. Riding them back to back made me realize how much harder it is to ride 4 wheels vs 2 in trails.

I’m free this Saturday to ride if anyone is up for it, I’d like to spend some time at my place to burn in some trails

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I had a couple friends over one day after work last week to ride, one of them was on a quad. I did a few laps on the 250X, then switched over to the YFZ450R quad, the quad kicked my ass hard. Riding them back to back made me realize how much harder it is to ride 4 wheels vs 2 in trails.

I’m free this Saturday to ride if anyone is up for it, I’d like to spend some time at my place to burn in some trails
    Color me in as a strong possibility. I don't have the new steed ready yet, but they trusty old KDX is ready to rip.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Yes, we completed Felton and rode Switchback and Schermerhorn. We the ride Spruce, and tried to get back on Boulder, but we somehow got turned around at the water tank, so we doubled back and rode Spruce back to the pavement. My arms were dead! My wife’s ATV has power steering, but mine does not.
    awesome! hats off, man, that does not sound fun

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post

i never understood the quad thing... father in law had a few and was into it. i rode his woods loop one time and was like, all set.

damn, the 16th came up quick. i'd love to join, no clue if i can ride this wknd (fam has been away) but will keep you posted.

Beta 200RR

I have the use for a 4x4 for work around my property, but I'd probably get more utility from a side-by-side. I never really understood the sport quad thing once I got myself on a dirt bike.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief