Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 96 of 98 FirstFirst ... 16567686878889909192939495969798 LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 2439

Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

Re: Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

There's a JDay at MX207 Sunday, open practice Saturday. If I can get oncall coverage I may try to hit Saturday? My two choices for machines are full MX (150SX) and full singletrack (250XC - NETRA setup), if I were feeling extra dumb and decided to try a JDay which would be the better choice?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    good deal on the shock, who did you have tune it?
    Factory Connection. Turn-around was surprisingly quick. I think I've heard of people having problems in the past, but pretty sure they even over-nighted it back to me. Not exactly cheap though, but I assumed that going in. I'm running a 5.6 rear and they recommend going back down to the 5.4. I feel like I'd be perfect with a 5.5, but kinda reluctant to step back down. I know a pretty fast enduro guy who's in the same boat. Half the problem is I went up to .48's in the front to combat blowing through the travel (and it only kinda minimized it). If FC could fix that problem, I might be able to step both ends down?

I installed an Xtrig this time too. My bike's design makes it a bit annoying to get at the hex adjuster, but I hope I never have to hammer at a collar again for the rest of my life.
    wish i could ride tomorrow, would join you ... may hit HVD Sat.
    I'm already booked up for Saturday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    There's a JDay at MX207 Sunday, open practice Saturday. If I can get oncall coverage I may try to hit Saturday? My two choices for machines are full MX (150SX) and full singletrack (250XC - NETRA setup), if I were feeling extra dumb and decided to try a JDay which would be the better choice?
    I'd probably go with the moto bike unless the track preview has some gnarly trail. I'd also value riding the bike you're most comfortable with. The one you know what's going to happen when you hit the jump, get bucked, or deflected on a root.

At a Jday, I've probably got one of the most enduro-leaning bikes on the line. My strength is the woods parts. The only passes I get on the track are back markers. Your 250XC certainly won't be out of place. There's quite a few NETRA guys running the JDay's this year on their harescramble bike.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Had my shock rebuilt/revavled and just did some tuning at Freetown Sunday. I should have done this sooner, and I figured that'd be my reaction. Pretty sure my shock was mostly blown out - rebound wasn't very well controlled. I'm actually not sure the revalve made nearly as much difference as 'properly functioning shock' did. Didn't do the front end yet - gonna save that for the winter.

If the weather holds for Wednesday, I'll be riding. Haven't made up my mind on the where yet. Wareham and MX23 will both be open, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's busy. Been meaning to get up to HVD for a while and haven't done it.
    I may go to MX23 tomorrow, wish I could do the JDay but have plans for Sunday.

YouTube: The Motorcycle Room 2015 R1 - 2009 KX250f

good deal on the shock, who did you have tune it?

wish i could ride tomorrow, would join you ... may hit HVD Sat.
    Saturday is going to be nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Track preview's up. Not sure if you were still thinking of going, but my previous reply was on the assumption that it'd heavily use the track. Looks like they cut out quite a bit, the woods sections look like they aren't completely a groomer run, and the endurocross section is being used. I think it comes back to ride the bike you know best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf87VzSJNfU

nedirtriders.com

Sadly, no backup oncall coverage so no dirty weekend for me.

Factory Connection. Turn-around was surprisingly quick. I think I've heard of people having problems in the past, but pretty sure they even over-nighted it back to me. Not exactly cheap though, but I assumed that going in. I'm running a 5.6 rear and they recommend going back down to the 5.4. I feel like I'd be perfect with a 5.5, but kinda reluctant to step back down. I know a pretty fast enduro guy who's in the same boat. Half the problem is I went up to .48's in the front to combat blowing through the travel (and it only kinda minimized it). If FC could fix that problem, I might be able to step both ends down?

I installed an Xtrig this time too. My bike's design makes it a bit annoying to get at the hex adjuster, but I hope I never have to hammer at a collar again for the rest of my life.
    what forks are on that bike? so it sounds like FC hasn't worked on them yet ... have you tried different oil weights and air gap with the stiffer springs? i assume they're OC. might be able to dampen that last few inches so they don't feel like they're blowing all the way through (?)

good deal on the XTrig, i love those devices, worth the cost to me

Beta 200RR

Lifer

what forks are on that bike? so it sounds like FC hasn't worked on them yet ... have you tried different oil weights and air gap with the stiffer springs? i assume they're OC. might be able to dampen that last few inches so they don't feel like they're blowing all the way through (?)

good deal on the XTrig, i love those devices, worth the cost to me
    Open cartridge KYB's, not the SSS. Which allegedly are still decent forks, aside from the punch-thru problem. Planning to send them out over the winter. I've skipped trying different oil weights, but I've played with oil level. I haven't maxed it out yet. Hopefully experiment a little more before the ground freezes. It's not just a bottoming resistance issue though. It's the mid-travel support I'm really missing.

It's almost like it has an internal blow-by valve that on a hard hit, the valving gets short-circuited. A couple old MTB forks actually had something like that where they'd be semi-rigid until a hard impact opened up a by-pass. In my case, I think it's just a shortcoming of internal design. With the .48's up front, I'm down to 180lb, and I still soft-bottom at least once about every ride. Feels like it packs going down rocky hills too, which is super sketchy. The rear end being sorted out seems to have minimized this though. I think the rear would rebound and push too much weight on the front, exaggerating the issue.

nedirtriders.com

Open cartridge KYB's, not the SSS. Which allegedly are still decent forks, aside from the punch-thru problem. Planning to send them out over the winter. I've skipped trying different oil weights, but I've played with oil level. I haven't maxed it out yet. Hopefully experiment a little more before the ground freezes. It's not just a bottoming resistance issue though. It's the mid-travel support I'm really missing.

It's almost like it has an internal blow-by valve that on a hard hit, the valving gets short-circuited. A couple old MTB forks actually had something like that where they'd be semi-rigid until a hard impact opened up a by-pass. In my case, I think it's just a shortcoming of internal design. With the .48's up front, I'm down to 180lb, and I still soft-bottom at least once about every ride. Feels like it packs going down rocky hills too, which is super sketchy. The rear end being sorted out seems to have minimized this though. I think the rear would rebound and push too much weight on the front, exaggerating the issue.
    cool, i'm sure FC will get you sorted then ... surprised the stiffer springs aren't holding you up further in the mid but right, really depends on the valving ... i've prob mentioned before but those MXT inserts i put in the Sachs have a huck valve that kicks in when you dive deep, works amazing.

Beta 200RR

Anyone riding Sunday Boston area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lifer

I checked out the Pachaug loop in CT today for the first time ever. Been meaning to get over there for a while. ~55-60mi of mostly trails with some street riding in between (street reg required). More double track than single track, but it was still a fairly interesting rocky terrain that didn't just feel like auto-pilot in 5th. I was pretty apprehensive about the navigation, but it was decently straight forward. However, I believe someone recently put up fresh signage, so the road sections have small permanent arrows up that take most of the guess work out. That helps a lot. Also had a GPX file from the ADVRider thread that made it real easy to know if I was lost. A strategic check of the phone a couple times prevented getting lost for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    Anyone riding Sunday Boston area?
    You should hit up Freetown tomorrow. I believe it'll officially close for OHV on Monday. And from what I've seen, they actually close the gate to the OHV parking area.

nedirtriders.com

I checked out the Pachaug loop in CT today for the first time ever. Been meaning to get over there for a while. ~55-60mi of mostly trails with some street riding in between (street reg required). More double track than single track, but it was still a fairly interesting rocky terrain that didn't just feel like auto-pilot in 5th. I was pretty apprehensive about the navigation, but it was decently straight forward. However, I believe someone recently put up fresh signage, so the road sections have small permanent arrows up that take most of the guess work out. That helps a lot. Also had a GPX file from the ADVRider thread that made it real easy to know if I was lost. A strategic check of the phone a couple times prevented getting lost for the most part.
    cool, thanks for the report. i've been wanting to check that out for some time as well but no plate.

Beta 200RR

You should hit up Freetown tomorrow. I believe it'll officially close for OHV on Monday. And from what I've seen, they actually close the gate to the OHV parking area.
    I've ridden Pachaug many times with my friends. Theres the big bike loop which is that double track/street stuff for the most part. Then there's the another loop (north or south, I can't remember) thats way more technical - definitely 2T territory. The 450 does not love it.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
    I've ridden Pachaug many times with my friends. Theres the big bike loop which is that double track/street stuff for the most part. Then there's the another loop (north or south, I can't remember) thats way more technical - definitely 2T territory. The 450 does not love it.
    I'm not aware of a big bike loop, but the entire 55mi trail loop kinda forms a Figure-8. I wonder if you guys were breaking the 8 up in to two circles, a north and south. If I remember right, the northern stuff was mostly wider, and the southern stuff was all the tech.

Although I think there's an alternate road-route around a swampier section in the south, and there's also a rocky harder section going up Mt Misery just outside the Chapman campground that I'd expect big bikes to skip. Old school NETRA guys call this a hero section, although I don't think any current signage or GPX files treat it any differently. So I guess you could have a big bike route that skips some sections.

nedirtriders.com

You could get an adventure bike up mt misery. I know I rode the 350 up it last, but I think I rode the 990 up it too prior.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    You could get an adventure bike up mt misery. I know I rode the 350 up it last, but I think I rode the 990 up it too prior.
    Looks I need to hit the weight room Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    For all the chatter online about that section, I was expecting something significantly more difficult. I found one of the swamp crossings more challenging.

I can see a 990 going up it. GSA or even a DR650 with the mass-luggage treatment (and the rider that typically accompanies them) may not enjoy it as much.

nedirtriders.com

Nothing offroad is fun with hard panniers.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

rides bikes

I gotta do a better job of watching this thread. I am losing my mind trying to find legal trail riding <2 hours from me.

Let's get dirty...check here for rides.-8b42c39b-583b-4d1b-b937-46f4958026eb

This is happening.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Let's get dirty...check here for rides.-8b42c39b-583b-4d1b-b937-46f4958026eb

This is happening.
    cool to see they still use that property, great trail system/course there. rode an event there years ago, had a blast.

Beta 200RR

cool to see they still use that property, great trail system/course there. rode an event there years ago, had a blast.
    I did one there a year or two ago. It was the most brutal thing I’ve ever raced. It rained all day the Saturday before and the Sunday of the race and was about 35degrees. I’m wonding if it’s worth the punishment again.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    I did one there a year or two ago. It was the most brutal thing I’ve ever raced. It rained all day the Saturday before and the Sunday of the race and was about 35degrees. I’m wonding if it’s worth the punishment again.
    hahaa, that sucks! it was sunny and perfect when i was there no race though, it was a benefit ride so no pressure.

Beta 200RR

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

pretty cool that if you google maps it on satellite view you can see the trails in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    pretty cool that if you google maps it on satellite view you can see the trails in the woods
    i probably mentioned back when i rode there but there was a guy ripping a snowmobile on the pond you see, doing laps around the land in the middle part then hitting a jump. hilarious.

Beta 200RR