Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1656768687888990919293949596
Results 2,376 to 2,386 of 2386

Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

  1. #2376
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    42
    Posts
    12,938

    Re: Let's get dirty...check here for rides.


    There's a JDay at MX207 Sunday, open practice Saturday. If I can get oncall coverage I may try to hit Saturday? My two choices for machines are full MX (150SX) and full singletrack (250XC - NETRA setup), if I were feeling extra dumb and decided to try a JDay which would be the better choice?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

  2. #2377
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,412

    Re: Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    good deal on the shock, who did you have tune it?
    Factory Connection. Turn-around was surprisingly quick. I think I've heard of people having problems in the past, but pretty sure they even over-nighted it back to me. Not exactly cheap though, but I assumed that going in. I'm running a 5.6 rear and they recommend going back down to the 5.4. I feel like I'd be perfect with a 5.5, but kinda reluctant to step back down. I know a pretty fast enduro guy who's in the same boat. Half the problem is I went up to .48's in the front to combat blowing through the travel (and it only kinda minimized it). If FC could fix that problem, I might be able to step both ends down?

    I installed an Xtrig this time too. My bike's design makes it a bit annoying to get at the hex adjuster, but I hope I never have to hammer at a collar again for the rest of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    wish i could ride tomorrow, would join you ... may hit HVD Sat.
    I'm already booked up for Saturday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    There's a JDay at MX207 Sunday, open practice Saturday. If I can get oncall coverage I may try to hit Saturday? My two choices for machines are full MX (150SX) and full singletrack (250XC - NETRA setup), if I were feeling extra dumb and decided to try a JDay which would be the better choice?
    I'd probably go with the moto bike unless the track preview has some gnarly trail. I'd also value riding the bike you're most comfortable with. The one you know what's going to happen when you hit the jump, get bucked, or deflected on a root.

    At a Jday, I've probably got one of the most enduro-leaning bikes on the line. My strength is the woods parts. The only passes I get on the track are back markers. Your 250XC certainly won't be out of place. There's quite a few NETRA guys running the JDay's this year on their harescramble bike.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

  3. #2378
    Member tucktuvak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    128

    Re: Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

    Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Had my shock rebuilt/revavled and just did some tuning at Freetown Sunday. I should have done this sooner, and I figured that'd be my reaction. Pretty sure my shock was mostly blown out - rebound wasn't very well controlled. I'm actually not sure the revalve made nearly as much difference as 'properly functioning shock' did. Didn't do the front end yet - gonna save that for the winter.

    If the weather holds for Wednesday, I'll be riding. Haven't made up my mind on the where yet. Wareham and MX23 will both be open, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's busy. Been meaning to get up to HVD for a while and haven't done it.
    I may go to MX23 tomorrow, wish I could do the JDay but have plans for Sunday.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    YouTube: The Motorcycle Room 2014 MV Agusta Rivale - 2007 CBR600RR (race) - 1999 SV650S (race) - 2011 TM Racing EN 250

  4. #2379
    Posting Freak Jewcati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    837

    Re: Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    good deal on the shock, who did you have tune it?

    wish i could ride tomorrow, would join you ... may hit HVD Sat.
    Saturday is going to be nice


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #2380
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,412

    Re: Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    There's a JDay at MX207 Sunday, open practice Saturday. If I can get oncall coverage I may try to hit Saturday? My two choices for machines are full MX (150SX) and full singletrack (250XC - NETRA setup), if I were feeling extra dumb and decided to try a JDay which would be the better choice?
    Track preview's up. Not sure if you were still thinking of going, but my previous reply was on the assumption that it'd heavily use the track. Looks like they cut out quite a bit, the woods sections look like they aren't completely a groomer run, and the endurocross section is being used. I think it comes back to ride the bike you know best.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf87VzSJNfU

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

  6. #2381
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    42
    Posts
    12,938

    Re: Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

    Sadly, no backup oncall coverage so no dirty weekend for me.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

  7. #2382
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,953

    Re: Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

    Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Factory Connection. Turn-around was surprisingly quick. I think I've heard of people having problems in the past, but pretty sure they even over-nighted it back to me. Not exactly cheap though, but I assumed that going in. I'm running a 5.6 rear and they recommend going back down to the 5.4. I feel like I'd be perfect with a 5.5, but kinda reluctant to step back down. I know a pretty fast enduro guy who's in the same boat. Half the problem is I went up to .48's in the front to combat blowing through the travel (and it only kinda minimized it). If FC could fix that problem, I might be able to step both ends down?

    I installed an Xtrig this time too. My bike's design makes it a bit annoying to get at the hex adjuster, but I hope I never have to hammer at a collar again for the rest of my life.
    what forks are on that bike? so it sounds like FC hasn't worked on them yet ... have you tried different oil weights and air gap with the stiffer springs? i assume they're OC. might be able to dampen that last few inches so they don't feel like they're blowing all the way through (?)

    good deal on the XTrig, i love those devices, worth the cost to me

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  8. #2383
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,412

    Re: Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    what forks are on that bike? so it sounds like FC hasn't worked on them yet ... have you tried different oil weights and air gap with the stiffer springs? i assume they're OC. might be able to dampen that last few inches so they don't feel like they're blowing all the way through (?)

    good deal on the XTrig, i love those devices, worth the cost to me
    Open cartridge KYB's, not the SSS. Which allegedly are still decent forks, aside from the punch-thru problem. Planning to send them out over the winter. I've skipped trying different oil weights, but I've played with oil level. I haven't maxed it out yet. Hopefully experiment a little more before the ground freezes. It's not just a bottoming resistance issue though. It's the mid-travel support I'm really missing.

    It's almost like it has an internal blow-by valve that on a hard hit, the valving gets short-circuited. A couple old MTB forks actually had something like that where they'd be semi-rigid until a hard impact opened up a by-pass. In my case, I think it's just a shortcoming of internal design. With the .48's up front, I'm down to 180lb, and I still soft-bottom at least once about every ride. Feels like it packs going down rocky hills too, which is super sketchy. The rear end being sorted out seems to have minimized this though. I think the rear would rebound and push too much weight on the front, exaggerating the issue.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

  9. #2384
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,953

    Re: Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

    Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Open cartridge KYB's, not the SSS. Which allegedly are still decent forks, aside from the punch-thru problem. Planning to send them out over the winter. I've skipped trying different oil weights, but I've played with oil level. I haven't maxed it out yet. Hopefully experiment a little more before the ground freezes. It's not just a bottoming resistance issue though. It's the mid-travel support I'm really missing.

    It's almost like it has an internal blow-by valve that on a hard hit, the valving gets short-circuited. A couple old MTB forks actually had something like that where they'd be semi-rigid until a hard impact opened up a by-pass. In my case, I think it's just a shortcoming of internal design. With the .48's up front, I'm down to 180lb, and I still soft-bottom at least once about every ride. Feels like it packs going down rocky hills too, which is super sketchy. The rear end being sorted out seems to have minimized this though. I think the rear would rebound and push too much weight on the front, exaggerating the issue.
    cool, i'm sure FC will get you sorted then ... surprised the stiffer springs aren't holding you up further in the mid but right, really depends on the valving ... i've prob mentioned before but those MXT inserts i put in the Sachs have a huck valve that kicks in when you dive deep, works amazing.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  10. #2385
    Posting Freak Jewcati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    837

    Re: Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

    Anyone riding Sunday Boston area?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #2386
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,412

    Re: Let's get dirty...check here for rides.

    I checked out the Pachaug loop in CT today for the first time ever. Been meaning to get over there for a while. ~55-60mi of mostly trails with some street riding in between (street reg required). More double track than single track, but it was still a fairly interesting rocky terrain that didn't just feel like auto-pilot in 5th. I was pretty apprehensive about the navigation, but it was decently straight forward. However, I believe someone recently put up fresh signage, so the road sections have small permanent arrows up that take most of the guess work out. That helps a lot. Also had a GPX file from the ADVRider thread that made it real easy to know if I was lost. A strategic check of the phone a couple times prevented getting lost for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    Anyone riding Sunday Boston area?
    You should hit up Freetown tomorrow. I believe it'll officially close for OHV on Monday. And from what I've seen, they actually close the gate to the OHV parking area.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •