Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Dirty fitness advice thread

Re: Dirty fitness advice thread

I've been on a week long bicycle ride, and learned some things about managing my own nutrition and hydration.
    But buy a mountainbike, ride the balls out of it. It'll help with line of sight stuff and keep you in tune for picking lines.
    Lots of core work.

I'm in no mans land, so I'll report back when I can really get down with some connectivity

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

NESR mtn bike ride???

hmmmm......

Riding a bicycle will put some wind in your sails. Doing some core exercises will help. Balance activities will help. Jump rope and beam hops.

But.. Nothing beats riding. Riding a lot. When I was in race shape I would do this 3-4 nights a week. Start out doing a few easy laps to warm up your muscles. Then put your head down and ride hard for as long as you can. (45 minutes when I was in good shape). Take a break for a few minutes. Get a drink. Then I would work sections of the track for a half hour concentrating on technique and not outright speed. I would follow this with another short moto of riding hard for about 15 minutes. Then I would go play ride for another 20 minutes. Wheelies and jumps. Hill climbs and trials to cool off and have fun. This will get you in shape. If I didn't race on a given weekend I would figure on running a couple more tanks of gas through the bike over the weekend too.

I was lucky. I had a 1.5 mile track that I could run both ways and access to another 250 acres to play ride on.

The biggest secret is to ride relaxed. You will spend way less energy if you are relaxed.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    General strength training is the basic building block to all things that are physically demanding. If you have the equipment, or a gym that will support it (actual barbells, no smith racks) it's worth considering. No need to go crazy...Just do the 5 fundamental barbell lifts - Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Power Cleans, and Press. Do 3 sets of 5 for each over a two day routine.

Day 1
    Squat
    Bench
    Power Clean

Day 2
    Squat
    Press
    Deadlift

Rest 1:30 between sets, 3:00 if you struggled to finish your last set. Start super light and add 5lbs (2.5lb plate on each side) each time you lift. It works out to be a 45 minute routine that works incredibly well.

When it gets too heavy and you are not able to complete 3 sets of 5, drop the weight by 10% and continue adding weight as you have been from there. The first couple times you do this, you'll bust right through where you stalled like you were able to lift that weight all along. After doing this three times for the squat and deadlift, it's time for a new routine. With the other lifts just keep going as long as you can until you tap out in the deadlift and/or squat.

***Obsess over form***. The importance of good form cannot be overstated. If you start getting any kind of pain research the exercise and the pain. The answers come pretty easily when you combine these two elements.

I've added 100lbs to my squat and 50lbs to my bench press in just over two months doing this routine. Obviously the other lifts have increased for me as well, but since I wasn't doing them before I started the routine I have no comparison. Either way, it works and it makes everything you do that's physically demanding feel MUCH easier.

Throw in a little cardio to balance out the strength with some endurance and that's all you should need. Cycling is ideal for this aspect.

I'd say save the strength training for winter only, and the mountain biking for summer only. That way your cardio won't put a dent in the progress of your strength gains.
    That looks like Starting Strength. Great program, though I liked Stronglifts better.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I feel like basic strength training like you mention helps very little or sometimes hurts when it comes to racing fitness. Bigger strong muscles tend to fatigue more quickly unless the person trains for endurance as well. It's something I personally have trouble with. Deadlifting 405x5 has no effect on racing endurance. Don't get me wrong, having a strong muscle base can't hurt, but that training seems it should be secondary to more athletic aerobic things.
    It all depends. If you start at skinny little bitch boy like I did the strength training programs make a huge difference at first and translated to a significant difference in my riding and life in general. I agree that there is a point where bigger is not always better and if you don't mix cardio in at the right time and back off on the strength training some you suffer overall.

I took some of the weight off, increased reps and added in cardio for the right mix. Sure, I get shit from people who saw me lift heavier at the gym and are doing it for numbers and bragging rights, but I'm better off overall and don't give a fuck what they think. It probably helps that I'm old enough to past my peak numbers days and chasing a PR all the time just beats up my body for little reason at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    another +1 ... my relatively short woods rides of 1.5hr have me in the cardio zone for ~45min and peak heart rate (around 180) for the other ~45min. great workout. wish i could do it every day
    This was what I looked like on a trip through the VT woods for 120 miles this past weekend. The strength training definitely helps build a stable core. Combine that with some cardio and the rides become easier on you. I've been sick and I'm not in the best shape right now. 180 sounds crazy high to me for a working heart rate.
    Dirty fitness advice thread-13882440_10210242220002722_7777813076350198148_n-jpg

Last edited by e30addict; 07-28-16 at 08:54 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    This was what I looked like on a trip through the VT woods for 120 miles this past weekend. The strength training definitely helps build a stable core. Combine that with some cardio and the rides become easier on you. I've been sick and I'm not in the best shape right now. 180 sounds crazy high to me for a working heart rate.
    yeah, my post made it sound like sustained 45min each but i just mean over the course of a ride that's usually how it splits out fat burn vs cardio. this is for ~1.5hrs of mostly technical singletrack with only 19-25 or so miles. depends how many loops we do. i'm not in shape so some days are good, some evil. been working harder lately though, tired of being tired.

180+ heart rate is common for an MX moto. the pros will train at even higher rates, and sustained!, so they're prepared.

EDIT: btw, that's a long freekin' ride at 120 miles/10hrs. what sort of terrain?

Here's my ride last Thurs...

Dirty fitness advice thread-img_8468-jpg

Last edited by typeone; 07-28-16 at 09:03 PM.
    Beta 200RR

That looks like Starting Strength. Great program, though I liked Stronglifts better.

It all depends. If you start at skinny little bitch boy like I did the strength training programs make a huge difference at first and translated to a significant difference in my riding and life in general. I agree that there is a point where bigger is not always better and if you don't mix cardio in at the right time and back off on the strength training some you suffer overall.
    Yup...It's starting strength. I started on Stronglifts but switched to 3 sets when the weight got heavy (which is recommended by Medi). I made some great progress with the barbell rows but recently switched to power cleans after noticing I was not getting good development in my upper back. So technically I'm now on the starting strength program. I gotta say, power cleans are a great lift and I'm starting to understand why they are so highly recommended.

What I like about stronglifts is that it's more to the point. The starting strength book is extremely helpful but talk about taking the long road to learning what is in reality a very simple program.

I was skinny when I started too so maybe that's a factor, but I would say anyone average sized, or maybe a little larger than average, would benefit greatly from strength training. If you are already bulky then the pure cardio route may be best.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i really enjoyed doing crossfit for the few months i did it. unfortunately, there isnt one anywhere near me. as my wife and i get the new house more straightened out i plan on starting P90X again and im looking for a rower. for some reason i enjoyed it in my x-fit class, much more than running or pedaling.
    wife wants to get MTBs, which im ok with, but im afraid that she will lose interest when she cant keep up, (kind of like most things we do together) and then ill be prevented from doing it.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I hesitate to post because everyone has strong opinions on this topic, but here's my 46 years of experience in a nutshell. I'm an accomplished athlete in distance hiking, surfing, cycling, trail running, skiing/boarding, MX, etc. Most who know me will agree that I can hang with most regardless of age.

Action sports like MX, surfing, climbing, etc. require a balanced musculature. I'm no scientist, but I have found that means that your guiding muscles (mostly core and smaller muscles) should be pretty close in strength and flexibility to your big muscles. This requirement has narrowed my focus to bodyweight exercises. Most everything else including road cycling, weight lifting distance running, and others make your body too specialized and throw it out of balance. Those pursuits are valid on their own, but a waste of time if what you want is functional fitness for MX.

Bodyweight.

The seven minute workout is a 3x a week good place to start. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...?smid=fb-share
    I say go for 40 seconds or 30 reps, whichever is longest. I also add in a few important exercises for surf and MX. Hip thrusts, resistance band shoulder flies, lat pulls, and curls, plus pull-ups.

Done once, it is a great maintenance workout, done twice in a row it is a strength builder... core strength and balance that is.

The other key is windsprints. jog 2 miles with 7 30 second full out sprints 1x a week.

Then push hard on the MX bike, at least once a week.

You will not struggle to hang with anyone short of a pro with this routine. Total time training is low, results are high.

Train smart. Enjoy more time for real sports.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Paul_E_D; 08-02-16 at 06:53 PM.
    Paul_E_D

I second any recommendation of body weight training. Gymnasts have certainly proven it to be very effective and it requires minimal equipment (pull up bar at most).

I still stand behind barbell strength training programs because they achieve the same objectives (especially the stabilizer muscles) and progress occurs much faster, but it requires a lot of equipment and Gyms that support this kind of training are few and far between. It also depends on how much lean mass you already have. If you are naturally strong and bulky, then body weight training might be better.

I am fully smoked after riding with Clinton today. Sore all over except for my arms. I'm still holding onto my pregnancy weight which has to drop.

Thought on more or less riding exclusively for fitness? 4-5 times a week, minimum hour session (woods.) I have an extremely low barrier to entry with trails out of my backyard. Something nice about the idea of exercise being extremely fun.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Sounds great.

I burn out on riding that much. Especially at the same place.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    yeah, my post made it sound like sustained 45min each but i just mean over the course of a ride that's usually how it splits out fat burn vs cardio. this is for ~1.5hrs of mostly technical singletrack with only 19-25 or so miles. depends how many loops we do. i'm not in shape so some days are good, some evil. been working harder lately though, tired of being tired.

180+ heart rate is common for an MX moto. the pros will train at even higher rates, and sustained!, so they're prepared.

EDIT: btw, that's a long freekin' ride at 120 miles/10hrs. what sort of terrain?

Here's my ride last Thurs...

Dirty fitness advice thread-img_8468-jpg
    Just saw your edit. That pic from me was the whole day, not just the ride. The 120 mile ride was dirt roads to class 4 VT stuff, definitely not as hard as what you do. It was maybe 6 hours including lunch. Pic below is about as nasty as it got.

Dirty fitness advice thread-13958267_10207464319070568_38596584758841623_o-jpg

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I am fully smoked after riding with Clinton today. Sore all over except for my arms. I'm still holding onto my pregnancy weight which has to drop.

Thought on more or less riding exclusively for fitness? 4-5 times a week, minimum hour session (woods.) I have an extremely low barrier to entry with trails out of my backyard. Something nice about the idea of exercise being extremely fun.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

you know my vote = yes.

once you get those loops connected and build some good flow, i think you'll have a great training circuit. add more logs (those were so fun today), more rocks, stand exclusively in the tighter and sit through the switchbacks at first ... then, like were were talking about, ONLY stand everywhere, no breaks until you fall off. after those loops become mechanical, start timing yourself

Beta 200RR

Just saw your edit. That pic from me was the whole day, not just the ride. The 120 mile ride was dirt roads to class 4 VT stuff, definitely not as hard as what you do. It was maybe 6 hours including lunch. Pic below is about as nasty as it got.

Dirty fitness advice thread-13958267_10207464319070568_38596584758841623_o-jpg
    sweet shot! i wouldn't call my fav stuff hard, but def more off-road focused. 6hrs sounds dreamy ... i need a moto/camp/moto/camp wknd badly.

Beta 200RR

Any Fitbit users here? Add me so you can call me a fat loser..

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

yup, will do. we can compete for The Fattest Loser

Beta 200RR

I was going to say the hardest rides were the "best" workouts for me, but I am way over torture rides. I can take it in small bits, but unless I'm on a cheater bike, naah

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

There's no cheater bike that's gonna get you through a tough course faster than your fitness will allow. Anybody that says so is selling snake oil.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Anybody try the 7 minute workout? I'm still using it and still getting results. I have modded it for a bit more intensity adding a single kettlebell to the squats/stepups/lunges and Full body weight weight to my chest on the floor for the pushups. still doing the theraband shoulders and curls.

I do the routine twice through. Twice a week. This has been killer for my riding and surfing. I dropped a pant size as well. And I was already pretty lean.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    There's no cheater bike that's gonna get you through a tough course faster than your fitness will allow. Anybody that says so is selling snake oil.
    Then naah...over torture rides!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-14-16 at 11:38 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Anybody try the 7 minute workout? I'm still using it and still getting results. I have modded it for a bit more intensity adding a single kettlebell to the squats/stepups/lunges and Full body weight weight to my chest on the floor for the pushups. still doing the theraband shoulders and curls.

I do the routine twice through. Twice a week. This has been killer for my riding and surfing. I dropped a pant size as well. And I was already pretty lean.
    I just saw it and am considering it...my upper body is in complete atrophy, and I actually carry more body fat with the cycling than when I hit the gym all the time. I actually feel and look pudgier than before. I may not actually have more body fat, its just that I don't have any muscles beneath it anymore to compensate. I spend all the time on my bike so I'll never get to a gym, but I could probably spare 7-14 minutes a few times a week.

If it works, my girlfriend will thank you.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

I'm going to give it a try too

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post

The seven minute workout is a 3x a week good place to start. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...?smid=fb-share
    I say go for 40 seconds or 30 reps, whichever is longest. I also add in a few important exercises for surf and MX. Hip thrusts, resistance band shoulder flies, lat pulls, and curls, plus pull-ups.

Done once, it is a great maintenance workout, done twice in a row it is a strength builder... core strength and balance that is.

The other key is windsprints. jog 2 miles with 7 30 second full out sprints 1x a week.

Then push hard on the MX bike, at least once a week.

You will not struggle to hang with anyone short of a pro with this routine. Total time training is low, results are high.

Train smart. Enjoy more time for real sports.

Tried that 7 minute workout, then went on the bicycle. Man am I out of shape

Key to any plan is follow through. Doesn't matter how hard you workout, rather how regularly over long periods of time. Say 6-12 months

Paul_E_D

On Ken Roczen's Instagram:

Instagram

I give up.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast