Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Dirty in Maine part II

Dirty in Maine part II

Well it's been over a year sence I posted a dirty ride report from our adventures in Maine...probably because until last week, it had been a year sence I've been up there.

Thursday July 3rd

I had to work so there was no leaving early for me. The plan was to ride up with Todd and his wife Leigh and they were going to drop me off at my camp where Sean and Leah were staying. We left a bit later than planned so I didn't arrive at camp until 1:30am. Unloaded my stuff, made my bed and went to sleep.

Friday July 4th

I slept in until 8:30-9ish and felt pretty good when I got up. Sean and Leah had already gathered firewood that morning, which ended up lasting us the whole weekend.
    The plan for the day was to head to Bingham which is just under 60 miles one way from my camp. It was also great to find out that the ATV access trails now go rite by my driveway...time to start bringing the Rappy up again

Camp and bikes...

They say I pee alot on these rides?
    Leah?

Yup, more campers just setting up in any old spot..gotta love Maine

We made it to Bingham just after lunch. We had stopped at this place last year for lunch as well..though I think it's time to look for a new lunch spot in Bingham? Felt a little sick that evening and first thoughts were from the greese burger?

It was an uneventfull ride home and we ended up with about 130 miles for the day.
    We were all exhausted so it was also a uneventfull evening of drinking and we ended the night early.

Saturday July 5th

The plan was to head over to Todds camp early to see what they were up to for the day. Our plans were to head to Greenville for lunch and I figured their's would be the same.

We decided to try a new trail which was cool but ended up adding a good hour to to the 45 minute ride from my place to Todds. One section was a bit wet and soupy..

When we got to Todds, we had missed them by 20 minutes. They were heading to Greenville as well so all was good. Either way we would have cought up with them that day as Todd's father invited over for burgers at the end of the day.
    I've always enjoyed this ride, it's a good mix of some fun trail sections and a old railbed for the speed sections...ITS 85 to be exact.

We arrive at Kellys Landing for lunch just as Tood and Leigh are getting their check. We shoot the shit for a few and they head back while we stayed for lunch.

On the way back we decided to try another trail section, the Shirley Tote loop. I've been on this trail before and didn't have any good memories from it, it was wet a soupy for several miles and I was exhausted.

It was a 30 mile loop and looking back at it now, it really wasn't that bad that day. The best memory though is how much better I felt after taking a quick smash trailside, I felt 10 lbs lighter

We stopped back at Todds where we relaxxed by the water. We had some good laughs, ate some burgers and hotdogs...then hit the trail back to my camp.
    Again another full day of riding and we were exhausted...which again put a damper on the drinking fun and made for an early night.

I think were were in the 120 mile range for the day.

Sunday July 6th

This was going to be a long day. We had to be at Todds camp by 8:30 so we were packed up and out of my driveway a littler before 7:45
    The plan was to go to the Forks and then to the Northern Outdoors for lunch. We arrive at Todds at exactly 8:30..

The first half of the ride was some of the same trails we had already ridden that week...then the new stuff came with some nasty mud sections. I somehow got stuck in some soup that was some of the deapest mud I've been in on 2 wheels, fell over and had a hell of a time getting my bike back up from the mud...all while standing in a foot of mud praying my boots wouldn't fill with water...which they didn't
    We were on the last leg of the trip to the forks when we came up on some quads stuck in a huge mudhole, whinches out and everything. We turned around and ended back tracking a bit before heading to the Northern Outdoors for lunch.

Another pretty much uneventfull ride back, though it was long. We split off from Todd and Leigh as we pass their camp and Sean, Leah and myself wanted to head over to see my aunt. She wasn't home again, I later found out they were in Old Orchard Beach Sunday and Monday.
    We were exhausted so we chose to ride the road back to my camp rather than the trails.

And yet another evening to tired to stay up drinking.

About 150 miles for the day.

Monday July 7th

We get up at a reasonable hour and Sean and Leah pack to go home and I pack to head over to Todds for the rest of the trip.
    It was a fun weekend with you'z and I'm looking forward to doing it again

I did a quick cleanup of the area before heading over to Todds. I knew it was going to be one of those days when I got there and cracked a beer open before the lunch hour
    I rode the bike there but still had to take the truck back to my place to get all my shit. We were pretty relaxxed and justed ended up driving around for a bit before heading back. The beer was flowing once I was settled in and the rest of the day was history

Tuesday July 8th

We slept in a little and were in no hurry to get going...which put a small damper on the ride planned for that day. It was also MUCH warmer out.
    The plan was to go to Rockwood at the east outlet of Moosehead lake. We left camp just before 11am.
    Again, some of the same trails we had been on all weekend to get to the half way point..but man had the conditions changed. The Shirley Tote Loop that was a soupy mess 3 days prior was all dried up and turned out to be pretty fun
    12.4 miles into the Shirley Tote Loop, we had to take a right and head north, I think it was on ITS 88? The sign said Rockwood 40 mile loop...it shoulda said Rockwood, 40 miles ahead It was an interesting ride with all different trail conditions. There were a couple good mud sections...this time the boots took on some water...though I didn't fall, which was a good thing.
    Then there was a freshly graded 6 mile section of logging roads with lose 6" +/_ sized rocks everywhere...then we cought up to the grader before he was done grading!!
    It was already 2pm and we weren't even there yet, I started seeing signs for food/fuel 6 miles ahead..then it was 4 miles ahead...then 2...then the arrows pointing to the driveway. At the same spot, there was another trail marker that said Rockwood, 12 miles We follow the food/fuel sign into a campground...but it turns out there is no food and no fuel. We grabbed a water and decided it was best to turn around and head back..it was close to 3 at that point.

We had gassed up at the Yammy dealer in Greenville so we should be ok with fuel for the ride back.

This is one of those rides where it would be nice to have had a map and make a loop out of it, we back tracked most of the way back to camp. Todd ran out of gas about 10' shy of his camp driveway with 85 miles...

I grabbed a quick drink, put a gallon of gas in the bike and made the treck over to see my aunt. We were heading home the next morning so this was the last chance I had.

Total miles for me for the day was about 150

Wednesday July 9th

Pack up and head south. We left Wetstone Pond at 8:30am and I was home by 2:30pm. Home sweet home

I had a great time as always and ended up with the most total trip miles ever, 550 miles in 4 days of riding. My ass is still sore, my bike needs a lot of TLC, and I killed a set of tires.

Next trip, Laborday weekend
    And I'm only going if there's at least 1 night of drinking late and playing card games until 2am

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Re: Dirty in Maine part II

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I've been on this trail before and didn't have any good memories from it, it was wet a soupy for several miles and I was exhausted.

Yikes, that part doesn't look like fun!

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Quote Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post

on a dirt bike no but my 4x4 quad hell yeah!!! looks like i need to take a trip to maine.....

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    on a dirt bike no but my 4x4 quad hell yeah!!! looks like i need to take a trip to maine.....

That pic is of leah, mark had a bobble coming out of it and I managed to get my front wheel in one rut and my rear in another and had to pick my bike up and drag it out, leah was the only one that made it through.

that mud hole was tame compared to some of the others.
    Mud makes you either ride well or makes you really good at picking your bike up .

Hey if a girl can do it...........

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

It wasn't that bad, I took the line to the right (if riding through it) and got sucked up in the mud..no biggie, I just kinda got off the bike and motored it out up the bank.
    ust reminded me, I still need to go clean the bike

Yamaha

excellent ride report...looks like a lot of fun!

...It was also great to find out that the ATV access trails now go rite by my driveway...time to start bringing the Rappy up again...
    do you own land up there?

do you own land up there? [/QUOTE]

no he doesn't , we found this abandoned cabin in the woods right on an atv access road , an decided to make it home for a few days, no one bothered us so it must have been okay.

I don;t know who built the cabin or insulated it, and put wiring, and finish boards in it but they did a pretty good job cause all we had to do was pull in , plug in a generator and we were good to go. There was even an out house to use, how thoughtful of them.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

I hate you guys.

Bras cause cancer.

It wasn't that bad, I took the line to the right (if riding through it) and got sucked up in the mud..no biggie, I just kinda got off the bike and motored it out up the bank.
    ust reminded me, I still need to go clean the bike
    Want to bring me next time? And let me borrow a bike? And helmet? And gear?

Hahaha my hobbies are so damn expensive....

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    excellent ride report...looks like a lot of fun!

Thanks
    Yes, I have a small 5 acre lot in central Maine

Quote Originally Posted by theothersean View Post
    no he doesn't , we found this abandoned cabin in the woods right on an atv access road , an decided to make it home for a few days, no one bothered us so it must have been okay.

I don;t know who built the cabin or insulated it, and put wiring, and finish boards in it but they did a pretty good job cause all we had to do was pull in , plug in a generator and we were good to go. There was even an out house to use, how thoughtful of them.[/QUOTE]

Smartass

Quote Originally Posted by Nikon View Post
    I hate you guys.
    Here's some advice for you, take it how you want...you need to put in for some vacation time Labor day weekend

Want to bring me next time? And let me borrow a bike? And helmet? And gear?

Hahaha my hobbies are so damn expensive....

A dirtbike or quad would look nice in your garage next to the R6.
    I'll bring you up there but you'll need your own bike to crash

Yamaha

Hey Nikon, you should consider joining us for labor day. You have a dual sport. You know, all the cool kids are doing it... It'll make you feel good...... First trip's free......

Leah

06 ninja650 street bike
    06 KLX250 dual sport

lol that looks like the most fun to me