Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Going on my first dirty ride this weekend!

Re: Going on my first dirty ride this weekend!

Oh geeze, these are the tough questions. Plated opens up a lot of riding for sure. That's a no brainer unless your doing MX.

You might ride from prov to hartford on a dirtbike once, but I doubt you would do it twice. The dual sport thing is a double edged sword. You could end up with a pig in the woods that sucks on the road.

It all depends on what style dirt riding you end up liking best. For me, that was definitely MX. It's like trackdays in the dirt. I like woods, but haven't been able to justify having 2 dirtbikes...yet.

To get started, keep it street legal and cheap IMO. That way if you don't love it, or find you like MX better, you can change bikes without taking a bath.

The newer bikes are lighter stronger and handle better. You don't NEED those things at all, but they are nice.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

don't get a plated 2 stroke as a road bike...the biggest issue is range because the fuel economy is atrocious (I've seen as low as 8-10mpg WOT on fire roads), but they don't ride well on smooth long pavement sections anyways

I don't know a whole lot about dirtbikes, but this is my best understanding:

1.) dual sport vs. woods bike: the dual sport will have more friendly street manners - wider ratio gearing, will hit higher speeds on the freeway, engine is detuned for longevity over performance, service intervals are longer, the suspension will be softer, weight will be higher, stability on pavement will be adequate, and you *can* (although you wouldn't really want to do it long) go on the freeway. It will be adequate for trails, although not fantastic. A true woods bike will be designed with higher performance at lower speeds and will have better power, suspension, and weight in the woods. It'll be easier to ride faster through the trails.

2.) 2t vs. 4t: on older bikes, 2 strokes are lighter, easier to service at home (top end/cranks), depending on tuning will be smooth and zippy; less bottom end than a 4t unless it's a woodsy KTM w' heavier flywheel and great low end porting/reed setup. Newer bikes, the 4t are almost as light, and way more powerful all around. 4t better on the freeway, 2t not so much. Better fuel range on a 4t (although higher performance 4t actually can use just as much gas as a 2t).

From what you want to do at an entry level - a dual sport might be a good start. You won't use all the power on a true woods bike without killing yourself, and for all the street riding you're describing, it will be way more comfortable on the freeway. Once you get more comfortable/looking for more in the dirt for racing, get a higher performance woods bike and truck it to the races

Even better - ride as many of your friends' dirtbikes until you find out which one you like the best!

You'll eventually end up with a plated KTM in the 500cc range that's more of a woods bike than a dual sport...

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-30-14 at 10:14 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    I'm somewhat torn between a true dual sport and a 2t plated woods bike.
    Welcome to my dilemma!

Generally the more roadworthy the bike, the heavier and taller geared it is going to be. Inversely, these two traits are less awesome off-pavement. Everything is a compromise, and this is no different.

I will say I have really enjoyed owning my overweight, under powered, cheapo DRZ. Even if I had the skills, I could never keep up with the guys on real "woods weapons" when riding in the woods. But the bike was affordable, easy to own, and huge fun. I'm not going to race it.. so.. whatever.

Offer to buy that DRZ 350 Pete. That's pretty ideal to get you going. I like the slightly shorter playbike type dualsports for NE woods. Unless you want to go racing, these are the easiest to learn on. The lower seat height is critical in technical, rocky terrain. Dabbing your fet isn't the best technique, but you are going to do it a lot while learning. Nothing saps confidence like that feeling you get when your tipping over on a tall bike and can't reach the ground.

Paul_E_D

xxaarraa

You will do fine man! Don't be shy of falling-off! Street gear can generally be heavier than motocross gear and restrict movement a bit, but it will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    You will do fine man! Don't be shy of falling-off! Street gear can generally be heavier than motocross gear and restrict movement a bit, but it will do fine!
    Welcome to nesr.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Offer to buy that DRZ 350 Pete.
    I dont think thats an option, based on a comment he made recently in an email chain:

"If I had to ride from my house to the southern most point of South America, I would choose the DR350 over anything else. It can go through anything, and is as close to unbreakable as you can get."

Also Nuss would have already locked it up, he has been looking for a DR350.

Lifer

There are others.

I liked the DRZ400 better for a couple reasons; moar power (a little), much better current aftermarket support, and oe bits to go sumo.. which was most definitely in the cards. But I really wanted that 6-speed trans.

I've got it, what if you sell me your DRZ!?

Lifer

Make me an offer.

Given its history of crashing, racetrack abuse, and mechanical molestation (OK just guessing on that one), I'm thinking $500? $525?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I think you just out cheaped the master...

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Lifer

Anyone that calls my pace on a racetrack "abuse" needs to go watch someone who actually rides fast. 'Tis but a Sunday stroll.
    And what you call "mechanical molestation" I call "performance improvement".

bubba's bike is worth more than a straight drz400/klx400 because of the supermoto setup...if you're going to use it as a strict plated dirtbike, just hunt craigslist...I'm sure you can find a low hour, plated DR350 for about a grand

just make sure it's low hour...or else it turns into a financial friggen grenade

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-30-14 at 07:27 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

I will probably end up doing hare scrambles and such just to have somewhere to ride.
    buy my WR165 2T from BlackSquirrel, i believe it's for sale. awesome trail bike.

Beta 200RR

That thing looks WAY too nice for me. And not plated.

find one that's plated PA usually has a handful floating around. it's def a woods bike though.

Beta 200RR

What's your budget? I've been drooling over a new KTM 350/450/500/530 4-stroke for a change in pace. I have a 2011 XCW 200 2-stroke that I could be talked into selling...which has a Rhode island street title already

Yamaha

Under 2k ideally. If I decide on 2 stroke and KB still has his 250, I will jump on that for sure.

This is a decent example of an enduro section. What's not evident (unless you're familiar with New England woodsy rippin) is how slick it is.
    Black and Blue Enduro First section after gas - YouTube

This is either a 250 or 300. Listen to him just merp merp merping along. No crazy 2t madness.

Here's another section from the week before:
    (Fucking ipad won't clear and recopy my clipboard...standby)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laTcZG6tZlw

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 10-31-14 at 08:46 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

That thing merps pretty good. I was impressed with his riding, then the dude that passes him at 5:45 made him look like he was just running next to the bike or something. Back to square one for me.

Damn. I would have taken an hour to do that. I have a lot to learn

2012 Tiger 800 XC

That thing merps pretty good. I was impressed with his riding, then the dude that passes him at 5:45 made him look like he was just running next to the bike or something. Back to square one for me.
    Don't worry about that guy. He's the series champ 4yrs straight.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

Back to the 2t vs 4t bit. The 2014 250 XCF-W weighs just a hair over 250 lbs once you add fuel, if I'm doing my math right. Meanwhile the 350 EXC-F is maybe 5 lbs more. These 4t KTMs seem insanely light. I understand that 250 2t is going to be far more powerful. But really, so what? Isn't the streetability, fuel economy, and wider power band of the 4-stroke more important than straight up power.. especially to a newer woods rider?

By my read of the spec sheets, KTM's 350 EXC-F is a full 40 lbs lighter than Yami's WR250R!!
    (And over 60 lbs lighter than my DRZ!!!)

Last edited by nhbubba; 11-01-14 at 05:46 PM.

Yes and no. 4t has increased weight and a higher cg. 2t is even lighter and lower cg, and no engine braking.
    As a true ds I'll take a thumper every time. As a woods bike I like a 2t for many reasons, but I yearn for some of the characteristics of a thumper too. Especially when bouncing through the nastiest of rock gardens.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast