Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Dirty riding in Maine

Dirty riding in Maine

Hey folks, going on a camping trip in Maine, and I figure I may as well research if I can bring my dirtbike if there's trails near by.

I went to their wildlife site and read the rules. There seem to be plenty of trails around, but there is no mention of dirtbikes, only ATVs. I gave them a call and the warden said that when they mention ATVs they are also including dirtbikes. When I go online searching, people say ATVs are kings and those rules don't pertain to Dirtbikes.

I'd love to believe the Warden on the phone, but not if he has a different mindset than the guys patrolling the trails.

So my question, can I register and ride my dirtbike in the same way and same trails as an ATV in Maine?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Re: Dirty riding in Maine

What part of Maine are you plannign to ride at?

Yes, you can register your dirtbike as an ATV. Some trails are however marked as ATV only, no dirtbikes. Most are clearly marked, but not always. You should be able to pick up a trail map of the local area at a gas station that's on the trail loop, or one of the trail head parking areas.
    The last few times I have been up there, we have been checked for our stickers. Also, you need to put there sticker where it says to, or they can also give you a violation for that

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    What part of Maine are you plannign to ride at?

Yes, you can register your dirtbike as an ATV. Some trails are however marked as ATV only, no dirtbikes. Most are clearly marked, but not always. You should be able to pick up a trail map of the local area at a gas station that's on the trail loop, or one of the trail head parking areas.
    The last few times I have been up there, we have been checked for our stickers. Also, you need to put there sticker where it says to, or they can also give you a violation for that
    Camping trip is at Acadia, but I'm willing to throw the bike in the truck and travel from there. They are mailing me a trail map, I can't seem to find a version of it online.

Thanks for the info.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Camping trip is at Acadia, but I'm willing to throw the bike in the truck and travel from there. They are mailing me a trail map, I can't seem to find a version of it online.

Thanks for the info.
    I only had my bike registered once (the year I got it) here in the last 7 years or riding it and have not had any issues for what thats worth. No problems getting it registered if you choose to though.

Not sure what there is for riding near acadia - my guess is you may have to go downeast a bit, maybe around Tunk Lake? (just east of Ellsworth, pretty remote area off of Rte 182)