Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dirty Toy Advice

Dirty Toy Advice

I'm looking for a dirt bike. I'd like to be able to ride in MA legally so I'm guessing that means full lights, horn etc. If someone could shed a bit of light on that issue I'd appreciate it.

I'm looking for a good trail bike for a first time offroader. I don't think Ill be doing anything too too crazy, whatever that means. I guess something not too crazy on power and not too heavy, although I'm pretty big so height shouldn't be an issue.

Any recommendations about what to look for or where to look or if anyone has anything.....for the first time in my life I'm planning to buy used, really something to get my feet wet and see if I like it.

Manny

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Dirty Toy Advice

DRZ, not super-tarded

Too bad Chr1s just sold his, it woulda fit the bill nicely. He takes care of his stuff too.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Littering and........

Dirty Toy Advice

Buy a dirt setup for your DRZ. I have one I'll sell you - complete with rotors, sprocket, and chain. It's a very easy swap, as you can use the same brake caliper on both setups. I only have a different chain because I run a much bigger sprocket in the dirt. This bike is a tractor off road, and is very, very user friendly for a beginner (which I am as well).

Last edited by highsider; 02-11-07 at 09:58 PM.

Dirty Toy Advice

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    DRZ, not super-tarded

Too bad Chr1s just sold his, it woulda fit the bill nicely. He takes care of his stuff too.
    Yea, I had been in contact with him about it and almost took the plunge. Maybe still will if the deal he has falls through. Had the bike been his originally I wouldn't have had a second thought.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Dirty Toy Advice

Quote Originally Posted by highsider View Post
    Buy a dirt setup for your DRZ. I have one I'll sell you - complete with rotors, sprocket, and chain. It's a very easy swap, as you can use the same brake caliper on both setups. I only have a different chain because I run a much bigger sprocket in the dirt. This bike is a tractor off road, and is very, very user friendly for a beginner (which I am as well).
    Thought about it but I really dont want to dirt that bike. For the cost and the time to swap I just don't want to bother.

But just for shits and gigles whatcha got for the offroad set up and what would it run me?

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Littering and........

Dirty Toy Advice

I have a full DRZ dirt setup - front and rear wheels with knobbies, bearings, rotors, and a big rear sprocket, along with the chain to fir the sprocket.

The swap takes 20 minutes if you don't know what you're doing, more like 10 minutes if you're good at it. Pull the front axle and caliper, slide the wheel on, put the axle and caliper back on. Same with the rear, plus the chain.

I'm thinking of buying a full on dirty bike, so I'd sell this stuff for what I have in it, which is about $800. (Sounds expensive, but that was the result of several months of e-bay scouring - the wheels and tires alone usually run about $600-700, then you have to buy rotors and sprockets, and usually replace bearings.)

They are surprisingly crash-worthy. I've tortured mine off-road, and the only battle scar it wears is a bent brake lever from the tumble down a ravine.

I know you like your DRZ as a street toy, so if you're worried about appearances, PM Nazo, he has a cheap dirt bike for sale. But if you want a cool do-it-all bike that you can goof off with on the ice, in the dirt, and on the street, get both setups and get your money's worth out of that beast.

Dirty Toy Advice

I have a full DRZ dirt setup - front and rear wheels with knobbies, bearings, rotors, and a big rear sprocket, along with the chain to fir the sprocket.

The swap takes 20 minutes if you don't know what you're doing, more like 10 minutes if you're good at it. Pull the front axle and caliper, slide the wheel on, put the axle and caliper back on. Same with the rear, plus the chain.

I'm thinking of buying a full on dirty bike, so I'd sell this stuff for what I have in it, which is about $800. (Sounds expensive, but that was the result of several months of e-bay scouring - the wheels and tires alone usually run about $600-700, then you have to buy rotors and sprockets, and usually replace bearings.)

They are surprisingly crash-worthy. I've tortured mine off-road, and the only battle scar it wears is a bent brake lever from the tumble down a ravine.

I know you like your DRZ as a street toy, so if you're worried about appearances, PM Nazo, he has a cheap dirt bike for sale. But if you want a cool do-it-all bike that you can goof off with on the ice, in the dirt, and on the street, get both setups and get your money's worth out of that beast.
    I think 800 is a pretty good deal. Most guy have found that the set up runs them closer to 1200. I know this is always a possibility but I don't think its my first choice. I will ride that bike a lot on the street and I'm seriously thinking of selling my daytona come spring which wouls make the SM my street bike. As much as I know it could take a beating, I "think" id rather just buy a beater dirt bike for getting into trail stuff.

Are ya really going to get rid of that beast?

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Dirty Toy Advice

Someone gimmie some advice here! 2 stroke, 4 stroke, 125, 250, 400, 450, 650. I need some guidence big time. Ive seen some rmz 250's for sale from crfs etc etc, just dont know where to start...

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Dirty Toy Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Someone gimmie some advice here! 2 stroke, 4 stroke, 125, 250, 400, 450, 650. I need some guidence big time. Ive seen some rmz 250's for sale from crfs etc etc, just dont know where to start...

KTM 450/525exc...and start having some fun

Yamaha

Dirty Toy Advice

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    KTM 450/525exc...and start having some fun
    Too much price price. Tryin to keep it on the cheap cheap.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Dirty Toy Advice

What are you going to do for riding, and how much. What's your budget? Most offroad guys are street plated, (not legal for everyday use) but good enough for short sections of pavement during enduros or turkey run(organized offroad ride). KTM's are the most popular, they are the easiest to get plated. True MX bikes aren't ready for the woodsriding, small gas tank,and stiff suspension for starters. If your looking for a woods bike, try classifieds on NETRA or NEDIRTBIKES.

Kevin

Dirty Toy Advice

for $800-$1,200, why not just buy a regular dirtbike?

Littering and........

Dirty Toy Advice

Go for something setup and intended for the woods. I have a Kawasaki KDX 220; it's a two stroke but is geared to be very tractable. They have made KDX's for a million years, and there is almost always a cheap one on craigslist for around $1000.

The CRF 250 would make a good bike as well, though I think there is a motocross and trail model (the trail model is a crf250X I believe), you would want the trail model. Also, look into DRs or DRZs - the DRZ is a great, easy to ride trail bike, and can be had very reasonably. Plus, it would share parts with your 'tard.

Whatever you end up with, if you get a four stroke, get electric start. Trust me on this one; I have nearly had a heart attack trying to re-start four strokes as a beginner. You fall relatively often, the bike stalls, and then you're stuck on a hill kicking and kicking and kicking.....

Dirty Toy Advice

Don't go into dirtriding with the price price cheap cheap idea..because there is no such thing...especially for what you're looking for (street plated bike) Before you jump on a $1000 bike deal, make sure you keep in mind you will be working on it often, $50 here, $100 there..next thing you know you have a $2500 bike!! Get the idea? You're going to spend the cash anyways

Yamaha

Dirty Toy Advice

Nah, I dont need to to be $1000. I want to keep it under 3K, ideally like $2200-$2500.

Keep in mind Ive never been offroad and I don't know how Ill like it. This is a test the waters type thing for a year.

I plan to use the bike for woods/trail stuff. And while it would be nice to be street legal, I dont care that much. Ive got a truck now and I live 40minutes to the closest offroad stuff so more likely than not Ill be truckin it a lot.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Dirty Toy Advice

Look for bikes that say they are titled or plated, that your best bet. Your riding areas and events are very limited without a plate.

Kevin

Dirty Toy Advice

All you have to do with a 4 stroke is know the trick. 3-4 kicks and mine starts right up.

Pansy! :

Go for something setup and intended for the woods. I have a Kawasaki KDX 220; it's a two stroke but is geared to be very tractable. They have made KDX's for a million years, and there is almost always a cheap one on craigslist for around $1000.

The CRF 250 would make a good bike as well, though I think there is a motocross and trail model (the trail model is a crf250X I believe), you would want the trail model. Also, look into DRs or DRZs - the DRZ is a great, easy to ride trail bike, and can be had very reasonably. Plus, it would share parts with your 'tard.

Whatever you end up with, if you get a four stroke, get electric start. Trust me on this one; I have nearly had a heart attack trying to re-start four strokes as a beginner. You fall relatively often, the bike stalls, and then you're stuck on a hill kicking and kicking and kicking.....

Last edited by Doc; 02-19-07 at 12:44 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Littering and........

Dirty Toy Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I'll you have to do with a 4 stroke is know the trick. 3-4 kicks and mine starts right up.

Pansy! :
    That's 2-3 kicks too many. I just push a button and keep riding.

Dirty Toy Advice

fuck kickin. i love the button

kb

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Dirty Toy Advice

try to stay focused here. what size should I look for? 200s or bigger??

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Dirty Toy Advice

Bigger. For the street, unless your just puttin around town. Then a 250 would be ok for both (dirt and street) but I would got with the DRZ400.

I know this guy and bet you can get it cheaper if it's not sold.

2000 suzuki dr-z400

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Littering and........

Dirty Toy Advice

try to stay focused here. what size should I look for? 200s or bigger??
    Dirt bikes aren't especially motor-centric like a street bike. It has a lot more to do with the size of the bike; my DRZ400 is about the same size as my KDX220. The 220 is faster.

Go to a couple of new bike dealerships, and sit on a few different dirt bikes. See which one fits you best.

As a beginner, I suggest that you focus on getting something that is well balanced and relatively lightweight. You will spend a fair bit of time taking minor spills, and picking up a heavy ass bike is no fun at all. This is the same reason I suggest the push-button start; at the end of a long day, the last thing you want to be doing is kicking a kick start.

If you went out and found a used CRF250, you really couldn't go wrong.

Dirty Toy Advice

Dirt bikes aren't especially motor-centric like a street bike. It has a lot more to do with the size of the bike; my DRZ400 is about the same size as my KDX220. The 220 is faster.

Go to a couple of new bike dealerships, and sit on a few different dirt bikes. See which one fits you best.

As a beginner, I suggest that you focus on getting something that is well balanced and relatively lightweight. You will spend a fair bit of time taking minor spills, and picking up a heavy ass bike is no fun at all. This is the same reason I suggest the push-button start; at the end of a long day, the last thing you want to be doing is kicking a kick start.

If you went out and found a used CRF250, you really couldn't go wrong.
    Yea. I want something easy to learn with. well balanced, lightish, push start. all sounds good. whos got something like that

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Dirty Toy Advice

what about an 05 crf 230?

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Littering and........

Dirty Toy Advice

what about an 05 crf 230?

That's a great candidate. Hondas are...well, Hondas, so you'll never really get hurt money-wise buying one. That bike is known for being a great trail bike, and will be good and reliable as well as well balanced and with more than enough power to keep you amused for a while.

If you have a line on one that is reasonably priced, my .02 cents is that it would be a great first dirty bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast