Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Got my first dirtycycle!

Re: Got my first dirtycycle!

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    bummer on the issues but you've got the perfect case to learn from. 2 stroke motors are super easy to work on and relatively cheap to fix. like these guys said, just read, take your time and use the right tools. once it's back together and running... learn to jet and keep the cooling system fresh. i've run dirt bikes in Florida heat/sand, they like preventive maintenance for sure.

post pics after you pull the cylinder and head.
    Will do on the pictures. That's one thing I was making sure was to get it maintained properly and keep it on a schedule. This is the bike I though would be the perfect bike to learn on and fix up, just wasn't expecting something like this to happen so soon. I already fixed the the bars, levers, throttle tube, grips front wheel bearings, new air filter. I ordered chain and sprockets the day before the engine seized so if the engine is truly messed up I guess I'll just save up the pennies and go over the whole bike even though that may not be worth it for resale when i do decide to sell but the experience will be great. I think this bike and myself will be together for quite some time so hoping to make it nice looking and run excellent for the track and trails.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2000 RC51

oh, i wasn't saying you weren't taking care of it... i just meant heat + sand = stress down there. eats up parts.

once you dig in, you'll see they're cake to work on. i find it therapeutic, actually made sweet love to my lil 2T over the weekend

Beta 200RR

oh, i wasn't saying you weren't taking care of it... i just meant heat + sand = stress down there. eats up parts.

once you dig in, you'll see they're cake to work on. i find it therapeutic, actually made sweet love to my lil 2T over the weekend
    Haha I understood at what you were getting at. Was just saying that I was trying to be more strict on the maintenance because the conditions suck down here haha. What do you suggest for coolant in these though? Sucks not having my own workspace anymore to dig into my toys.

Since I'll have to replace that and am thinking about doing some engine ice in my RC51 seeing as it runs real hot down here in the 3 times i have taken it out. Can only imagine what a dirty is feeling when brapping around.

2000 RC51

Quote Originally Posted by REXXX View Post
    Haha I understood at what you were getting at. Was just saying that I was trying to be more strict on the maintenance because the conditions suck down here haha. What do you suggest for coolant in these though? Sucks not having my own workspace anymore to dig into my toys.
    Engine ice.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

+1 on what Paul said about 2nd guessing the used motor purchase

I think of it this way: you bought your bike with a "used motor" and it seized. You could buy this used motor and it could seize as well. The only way to be really certain it's a cheap way of going about it, is to rebuild the motor yourself, or buy one (close to) brand spanking new.

and +1 on pics...this shit gives me goosebumps...and honestly, the 10 or so people in the dirtybastards might be all the tech support you'll ever need

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-04-12 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REXXX View Post
    What do you suggest for coolant in these though? Sucks not having my own workspace anymore to dig into my toys.

Since I'll have to replace that and am thinking about doing some engine ice in my RC51 seeing as it runs real hot down here in the 3 times i have taken it out. Can only imagine what a dirty is feeling when brapping around.
    Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Engine ice.
    +1 on Engine Ice, i run it in both bikes. they suggest you fully flush before switching.

i run a garden hose through first then fill with 50/50 mix of white distilled vinegar + distilled water... run bike till warm ... let cool ... drain ... fill with distilled water ... run till warm ... cool, drain and fill with Engine Ice.

Beta 200RR

+1 on Engine Ice, i run it in both bikes. they suggest you fully flush before switching.

i run a garden hose through first then fill with 50/50 mix of white distilled vinegar + distilled water... run bike till warm ... let cool ... drain ... fill with distilled water ... run till warm ... cool, drain and fill with Engine Ice.
    What does the vinegar do? And how much do you add?

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    What does the vinegar do? And how much do you add?
    helps to clean the system without using harsh chemicals, just like your mom might do around the house. it's slightly acidic and can help dissolve deposits.

I just buy a gallon jug of distilled water pour out half (into another sealed, clean container) then refill with half vinegar. now use that solution to flush and the other portion of distilled water alone for final flush.

both are easy to find at the grocery store... use the white distilled vinegar, none of the other types

Well boys, something definitely broke haha. When I drained the coolant it came out the color of Ice Tea which i have never seen. Took off water pump cover and impeller and all seems well. Removed the head and there was just a bunch of large chunks of metal. With a couple stomps on the kick lever I got the piston to go down from TDC. I have to get some more tools before I can remove the cylinder. This sucks something serious.

Got my first dirtycycle!-imag0058-jpgGot my first dirtycycle!-imag0059-jpgGot my first dirtycycle!-imag0060-jpgGot my first dirtycycle!-imag0062-jpgGot my first dirtycycle!-imag0063-jpgGot my first dirtycycle!-imag0064-jpg

Last edited by REXXX; 06-08-12 at 06:33 PM. Reason: stupid pictures
    2000 RC51

Attachments aren't attached.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    Attachments are attached.
    fixed

2000 RC51

Looks like cylinder needs replating, and obviously a new piston. Good news is it looks like it was a top-end blowup, as opposed to a bottom-end blowup. How deep are those gouges in the cylinder wall?

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

I can't tell yet where that material cam from, but it doesn't look catastrophic yet. Get the cylinder off and take more pics. Certainly, the head and cylinder can be restored to health for short money.

Paul_E_D

huh, interesting pics... so this just occurred when you refired the bike and it then 'seized up'? any sounds or weirdness when it stopped running? i agree the head and cylinder look almost fine. won't take much to get those parts in shape.

very curious where/what those shards are from. got pics of those on their own?

Beta 200RR

Yeah I am curious where that metal came from too. Depending on how deep the scoring is you might be able to get away with just a replate. Check with Yamaha before you get a replate though. I know for my CRF450 it was cheaper to buy a cylinder new than it was to have my old cylinder replated.

Are those pieces of metal reeds on the piston?

I Have to go buy a couple of tools today/tomorrow and will dig further into what happened. Probably going to pull the motor out regardless and try and clean all debris out without pulling it all apart but I'm not sure yet.

2000 RC51

ok, these pictures pump me up...

so if you have debris that's just on top of the piston and there aren't chunks of the cylinder in it, I would guess the bits and pieces either came from:

1.) the intake side (pull off the carb, unbolt the reeds, and inspect for missing pieces...or check to see if there was a hole in the air filter and something got sucked in

2.) the exhaust side (take off the cover for the exhaust valve, and check to see if the piston was smacking the exhaust valve, or if something broke loose in the assembly)

so that could explain the debris, but what I'm still curious about is: why did it seize?

when you kick over the engine - does it turn over smoothly? or is it rigid?

Also, take off the cylinder...slide it off gently, take a peek onto the crankshaft to see if there is any debris, and check to see if the engine spins smoothly. After you check - stuff that opening with a rag to make sure nothing else falls in

usually seizure means you have something's wrong with the crankshaft or transmission...but if the debris was just in the combustion chamber, it shouldn't have gone past there into the bottom end. So wtf is going on?

Also - you said the coolant was dark - I'm not sure how that's related since it's a sealed system. Unless you have a hole or leak somewhere, that coolant shouldn't interfere with your engine seizing...maybe it was brown because it wasn't ever changed?

good news: if it's just the debris causing your trouble, I'm guessing top end replate, new piston and rings (which you were going to do anyways with a "new-to-you" dirt bike), cylinder head machining, and gaskets...not too expensive. Maybe a $200 for a replate, $65 for piston/rings/pin/circlip, $55 for machining the head, and $30 for gaskets.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-10-12 at 01:17 AM.

The best way to learn how to ride it is too crash it. That way you know it's limits, or yours.

Current whiplist:
    MST/Pikes Pike---------Transformer/Sky Hooked
    1098s-------------Interstater/Time machine( Just sold)
    DRZ 400 Tarded---Urban assault vehicle
    Road King---------Date bike/ Hangover bike
    XT 225-----------Grocery getter/Packie bike(For Sale)
    RD 350---------Giant Killer
    Past whiplist, I drink to them all.....

It's a relief to see the problem up top. That jug actually looks ok from the pics. The metal has to be reeds, I really don't see what else it could be. It's a weird one for sure! Best of luck and keep us posted!

Well bad new is the Piston skirt is what broke and sent shrapnel everywhere. Lots of pieces stuck between crank case and crank and who knows what made it to the bottom of the crank case. This is very grim for me and is making it look like I will have to find the cheapest way to get this running again and sell it to try and get some money back or just part out the good parts but honestly how much of it would really sell.

Got my first dirtycycle!-imag0067-jpgGot my first dirtycycle!-imag0068-jpgGot my first dirtycycle!-imag0069-jpg

2000 RC51

Eh, don't panic yet. It doesn't look like the cases took too much abuse. Nice thing about two strokes, there isn't really that far the metal bits could go. Pull the motor, split the cases, clean up the crank area, then evaluate.

Cheapest, easiest way is to just rinse out the cases(assembled) with gasoline a few times then reassemble with new top end and replated cylinder. Like Kurlon said, not much space down there to collect bits. That's why it finds its way out the exhaust or into the combustion chamber. No real added cost here, just a standard top end job plus replate. Then ride it and be happy.

Paul_E_D

The problem is there are lots of bits wedged so the crank won't move. I cant afford the tools to split the cases right now along with top end stuff haha. To top it off i have everything off to remove the engine besides the swing arm bolt. It just will not budge off and my guess is like every other bolt, nut and do dad on this bike is corroded in there.

Last edited by REXXX; 06-13-12 at 09:23 PM.
    2000 RC51

soak the s.a. bolt in PB? that shit is mind blowing sometimes.

I agree, just keep stripping and cleaning what you can. I know it sucks but you may be able to get that thing back in shape fairly easily. time wise, no. dough wise, possibly.

crazy the skirt shattered but it sounded like you didnt run it long once it failed (?)

dirt bikes rock, right? got one down myself, that's why you keep two!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast