Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Got my first dirtycycle!

Re: Got my first dirtycycle!

updates?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

working overnights doesnt give me much time to work on the bike. The bike is in a storage room that my buddy has the key to and hes on a different work shift than I am.

No updates is what I am saying. This weekend I probably wont be getting into it and I still need a bigger hammer haha... and some penetrating oil.

2000 RC51

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by slowkermit975 View Post
    If a bike doesn't have an hour meter on it, or a detailed maintenance log, I'm not listening to a word from the previous owner. It gets a new top end, new air filter, carb inspection/cleaning, oil change, and a powervalve cleaning. Total cost under $250 and total time invested 4-6hrs. Then you have a better idea of what you own.
    I tend to agree, except that I prefer to see a dated receipt for the parts that were supposedly installed. I have yet to find any seller who offered a detailed maintenance log, but I am sure that there are some out there. I would also agree that folks who race or compete take better care of their equipment/bikes, in general.

+1, especially if the bike is just over a grand...who keeps that sort of record

oh wait, I did...and people still haggled the shit out of me when I went to sell it...then the dumbass kid ran straight gas on a 2-smoke and locked it up after 2 rides

Small update sort of, I got the motor out of the frame and the crank spins freely. As i was spinning the cranks i was trying to grab some pf the bits off and some more fell into the bottom.

Now I'm deciding what tools to buy and parts to buy over the next few days. My dad says just spray carb cleaner or dump gas in the crankcase and tilt upside down multiple times to wash it out because he says since I have never done it I'm going to fail at putting it back together haha. I also need to find a work bench so more updates will be slow until i figure out what I am going to do.

2000 RC51

potentially good news: if it spins freely, you probably won't need crank bearings!

more good news: having it out of the frame will certainly make it easier to perform this rinse since that opening is small and tough to work around

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-03-12 at 12:02 AM.

Yeah, right now I am looking at $300 for tools, piston kit, and complete engine gasket kit. Just not sure if I should risk not seperating the cases and just rinsing it out and getting the piston kit and top end gasket kit. Not sure if the head needs to be machined as well as the cylinder. Neither of those new are remotely cheap and hard to find.

2000 RC51

Rinse cases, replate cylinder, use head as is IMO.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Rinse cases, replate cylinder, use head as is IMO.
    so dont split? How do you suggest the rinse procedure should go? I have access to air.

Also found a complete motor from a dealer site that i might call and ask them some questions. But probably order piston and top end gasket kit. Would a wrist pin bearing be a good idea too?

Last edited by REXXX; 07-03-12 at 07:42 AM.
    2000 RC51

And dont forget sending the cylinder out to be replated.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Wirelessly posted

Always do the bearing with the piston.

Paul_E_D

uhh, I thought wrist pin bearings come with top-end kits?

I only bought two top-end kits, and it came with both...but yes, definitely replace it. It's as easy as sliding out a pin, and sliding in a new one.

but yeah dude...if you don't need to split it, don't!!! the goal here is to get the bike running again so you can ride some, then sell it. Don't turn this into a bigger project (and price tag) than it needs to be.

This is the bearing I'm talking about. I have never seen on or replaced one. The picture for the piston kit doesn't show one of these in it so probably order it to be safe and a top end gasket kit.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...-Yamaha-YZ250-

2000 RC51

yep, the small end bearing. Some kits come with it, some don't. get one separately if the kit doesn't include it.

Paul_E_D

ordered the piston, top end gasket kit, and wrist pin bearing a couple days ago. Hopefully this weekend I'll get to the task of rinsing the engine out but I may be busy with and

2000 RC51

Finally got around to the auto hobby shop with a guy from work and used some compressed air and carb cleaner to clean out the bottom. Also cleaned the head, jug and powervalve and discovered 2 screws came undone in it holding a guide in place and metal tab in place that strikes a roller for lack of a better term. Has me thinking that could have done something to do with the problem. The screws were plopping around in the linkages and what not so we put those back in there right spots. Put new piston, rings and bearing in followed by the jug.

The engine is basically back together and hopefully getting fluids tomorrow afternoon and putting the bike back together! I still have to fix the damn thread on the swing arm pivot bolt but shouldn't be too hard of a process, just going to be hot in the florida sun on pavement.

2000 RC51

Wirelessly posted

Uh, did you follow the manual for power valve assembly / adjustment? That was surely the cause of your problems. I'd go through a complete disassembly/inspection before running it again.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Wirelessly posted

Uh, did you follow the manual for power valve assembly / adjustment? That was surely the cause of your problems. I'd go through a complete disassembly/inspection before running it again.
    Are you talking complete motor tear down or disassemble the power valve assembly?

Last edited by REXXX; 07-27-12 at 11:36 PM.
    2000 RC51

progress! good deal!

but I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this screw and linkage parts...sounds like a power valve part, but got any pics?

just power valve. It's kinda critical...

Paul_E_D

sweet! good to hear you're almost back in action

def agree, make sure the PV assembly is clean, together properly and functioning. otherwise you'll start chasing your tail on power delivery problems.

Beta 200RR

Yeah I looked into it and cleaned it out some more. Seems to be in working order and the manual I have has nothing for adjustment. Well I got the motor back in but had to take the had back off to fit it in the frame. I set the o-rings again and when i was torquing the head nuts down on of the o-rings popped out and pinched. Now I have to buy one damn o-ring thats $5 haha. hoping the local Yamaha dealership will have it in stock as its a fairly common Part #

Maybe next weekend I can get to ride it again and decide if I should keep it or sell it... if it doesn't blow up again haha!

2000 RC51

good deal!

with that o-ring, these "wtf, sonofa..." moments are just part of DIY. that stuff happens to me all the time...just be glad it's not a show stopper. an o-ring is easy...and cheap.

and the exhaust valve (aka power valve by some) is *somewhat* adjustable. The pressure applied towards keeping the valves lower in the cylinder is spring loaded; and you can adjust the tension of the spring by turning the dial that winds the spring. The tighter the spring is coiled, the less likely the valve raises, and the less "hit" you get.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-29-12 at 05:41 PM.

Almost done buttoning her up. Have to put the new chain and sprockets on, get some new premix in the tank and a couple little odds and ends and she is good to go. Especially since I got her started today! Only ran it for about 15-20 seconds be cause i want to get everything together and in place and read up how to properly break in the new top end. I'm stoked right now because I may get to ride this weekend.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2000 RC51

Cheers!

Paul_E_D

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast