Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Got my first dirtycycle!

Re: Got my first dirtycycle!

great f'n feeling

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Well tomorrow is the day of truth. Going back to the trails that took the engines life last time. Going to keep an eye on my coolant and not going to stop as much so i can keep the air flow going. I'll let you all know what happens

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2000 RC51

Beta 200RR

Great news! Ran fine all day and the coolant stayed green! It's totally feeling better now that the screws on the power valve linkage are where they need to be. I want to get some Michelin Starcross sand 4 tires for it so it can really put the power down. All I really need now is a truck haha.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2000 RC51

Nice. Ring a ding ding!

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Nice!!!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Great news! Ran fine all day and the coolant stayed green! It's totally feeling better now that the screws on the power valve linkage are where they need to be. I want to get some Michelin Starcross sand 4 tires for it so it can really put the power down. All I really need now is a truck haha.

2000 RC51

2000 RC51

Whoa quadruple post. Can someone with the power delete these three useless ones?

2000 RC51

We get it already.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

F-yea brotha!!

does it rev any differently with a proper functioning exhaust valve?

Schwing. That whole process could have been done in two hours. Lol. But anyway, great news. and this is why 2 strokes rule!

Paul_E_D

Not to sure because I am still getting used to the 2 stroke sound but it feels real good. I just have to get used/better at dirt riding and back at the tracks with some berms and jumps!

Yes Paul_E_D if I had made up my mind sooner and listened to my pops it could've been done 2 weeks after it happened. But regardless she runs good and now i want to clean her up, get some new plastics and maybe some graphics, degrease everything and such. more projects and more time to get to know the bike.

2000 RC51

Took the YZ to the track again yesterday, second time at track 4th ride since new piston. I'm getting faster and more comfortable riding the dirt which is nice. But while riding I went down and bike stalled, started it back up and I don't know if my mind was playing tricks on me but I think I heard an extra ping ting sound (similar to a dime landing on concrete) every few seconds so I pulled off and then it wouldn't idle. Today it's being a bitch to start so I'm going to pull the spark plug and possibly the carb.

Since I didn't feel like risking my engine again my buddy offered to let me try his 06 rm125. I am now hooked on 125's and once I get this 250 sorted back out I will probably try to trade it for a 125 down the line. The 125 was so flickable and way more controllable to me compared to the 250. The rear got eaten up in the whoops so those were the hardest part for me on the 125 but I feel the 125 will make me a better rider. The only place I feel a 125 might struggle is in the trails and woods we ride from time to time where the power of the 250 shines for me.

2000 RC51

Check your reeds carefully for chipping.

F-yea man...one thing I like about dirt bikes is that the better and faster you get, the smoother things get, and the more exponentially fun it becomes

and yeah, flogging WOT on a 125 is a battle, but a blast...just for fun I went and looked at an RM125 today...needless to say I know that bike well enough to know when to walk

you still going to sell it?

I didn't really dig into it today like I planned because I woke up to late and football came on. It then started raining and I have to work on my bike in the parking lot of my dorms haha. Hopefully earlier this week after i get out of work and the gym I can dig.

The 125 seriously was so much easier to ride it was unbelievable. Immediately gave me confidence and had it been my bike i would have hit a double double set that I am to chicken to hit on my bike haha.

2000 RC51

you want easy to ride, have you tried a newer 4 stroke?

I tried an 07 rmz250f but that was also the same day i rode the track for the first time down here. The power felt really flat but might feel different about it now i am a little better. I would love to get a newer 250f but if one of those motors blows im screwed.

I was thinking about my bars today and how i bought the protaper cr mini highs and am wondering if that bend is to tall for my riding. The biggest difference I noticed with my buddies rm125 was how flat, cushy and grippy the sea was unlike my 250. It's so crazy how little things can affect the outcome so much.

2000 RC51

Well after investigating I found out my head wasn't playing tricks on me. The extra ping ting ting sound I heard came from the piston shattering again but this some on the intake side and the coolant is a dark green now. Convinced something in the cooling system is messed up to keep doing this.

2000 RC51

dood

Beta 200RR

I should also check my jets shouldn't I? If it runs to lean do you guys think it could make the coolant dark? Can someone point me in the direction of a good read on carbs? I feel so dumb haha.

2000 RC51

no it shouldn't!

my best guess is - it has a leak

the coolant should NOT normally interfere with the combustion (your shattered piston) and vice versa. It's a sealed system - coolant goes into your radiator, plumbs into some sealed tunnels around the engine block via a propeller, then goes back intot the radiator.

if it's dark, then something from the engine has broken through this sealed system of tunnels and hoses.

unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to start taking it back apart and inspecting for leaks...

the fact that you asked about dark coolant before and we couldn't figure out what was wrong was just a hidden problem that we ignored. If there's something wrong, and you don't address it, it's still wrong.

do you want to consider stopping now? you spent a grand to buy it, and it blew up. You spent another couple hundred bucks to get it back together and it's going to blow up again. Sell it while it still runs and get your grand back!

and are you sure that bike isn't a 1998 RM125 with 144cc eric gorr top end w' mismatched cases that have been machine to fit, with the skirt clearance trimmed off with a dremel?

your bike stories sound strangely familiar...

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-21-12 at 06:48 PM.

I'm thinking there are a few possibilities. Given it went awhile with no signs of coolant contamination, my first inclination is something loosened up or got forced apart when it shattered the piston, allowing for the contamination. How's the oil look? If the oil is clean I'm thinking head to cylinder failure? If the oil is milky I'd be looking lower?

Might as well take a peek and try to ID the fault, as you're not going to get crap for it if it's running like a dog, and if you can ID the fault that triggered it you're likely back in business for cheap.

You have to be waaay off on jetting for this to happen. I'm sure you don't have jets small enough for that. There's an air leak. likely in the cases, but other possibilities are where the pipe eets the cylinder, the carb boot, or perhaps a cracked head/cylinder.

It hard to diagnose this without seeing your motor. Did you use decent piston/ring? Wossner=no.

Paul_E_D

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast