Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Critique DB

Critique DB

Went riding again yesterday, it was fun. I'm getting a lot more comfortable sliding on the bike, and jumping. Speeds starting to increase. Need to work on 2 major things, first is learning the line. We dont get ruts on the days I go, so I tend to go wherever I want, but obviously that doesnt work. And 2, setting entry speed for corners. Goes along with number 1, sometimes I just go way too deep and dont commit to the turn soon enough, and then Im damn near off the track and not making the turn with speed. Anyway, my latest video, feel free to offer any other advice you may see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5x-L...ature=youtu.be

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Re: Critique DB

you're sexy

wait, that's not advice

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Video is private. BOOO DOLLAH

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Video is private. BOOO DOLLAH
    Ahh, my bad. Thought private meant if you have link you can see. Apparently thats just "unlisted"

Zip Tie Alley #505

Well I'm not an "expert" but there are 2 things that jump out at me. First is that your moving toward the inside way too soon even though there's nobody beside you. I would be braking 4 feet closer to the outside of the lane.
    The other thing is that I can see you look down closer to the bike than your focus point on the straight. I always have to force myself to look more forward toward the corner exit rather than looking down to line up the front wheel with ruts. I know it's bad and yet I always start the season doing it again. I suspect from the camera view your doing it too. I would also test leaning a bit more until you feel it start wanting to tuck and then using more throttle to stand it up on the exit.

Are you shifting at all? Shift down going into the corners just like roadracing. The line will make itself evident as you go faster. pretty hard to judge until you have some other riders to chase.

For the jumps you aren't quite clearing, just sit the moment before you hit the ramp and let the launch stand you back up. You'll go a lot further with the same speed.

In the rollers stay on the gas.

Seat time is what it's all about, but riding when the track is more crowded would help as you can see what the people a little faster than you are doing.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Are you shifting at all? Shift down going into the corners just like roadracing. The line will make itself evident as you go faster. pretty hard to judge until you have some other riders to chase.

For the jumps you aren't quite clearing, just sit the moment before you hit the ramp and let the launch stand you back up. You'll go a lot further with the same speed.

In the rollers stay on the gas.

Seat time is what it's all about, but riding when the track is more crowded would help as you can see what the people a little faster than you are doing.
    Yeah, Im starting to shift more, still not enough, but a bit. Just getting the shift points down. Ill try that on the jumps too. But yah, the track is empty, its a victim of circumstances. The day I go is essentially a beginner day. 75% of the people are kids on like 80s and 150s and stuff. The guy said Wednesday open practice was like 50 bikes, all fast guys, and I dont feel like Im ready to be out there with them yet.

Zip Tie Alley #505

I'm also no expert, but are you up on the tank in the turns?

where did you do this ride?Local MA?

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Went riding again yesterday, it was fun. I'm getting a lot more comfortable sliding on the bike, and jumping. Speeds starting to increase. Need to work on 2 major things, first is learning the line. We dont get ruts on the days I go, so I tend to go wherever I want, but obviously that doesnt work. And 2, setting entry speed for corners. Goes along with number 1, sometimes I just go way too deep and dont commit to the turn soon enough, and then Im damn near off the track and not making the turn with speed. Anyway, my latest video, feel free to offer any other advice you may see.

Quote Originally Posted by timv2444 View Post
    where did you do this ride?Local MA?

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post

Too low in the rev range brother. You're on a 250F like I ride and that bitch sounds like it's going to stall out. Should be spinning out of the corners in the meat of the power.
    Compare your bike's rev range http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5x-LBmo7IM& to my bike's rev range http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W-p7otZrBg& - You can hear (over the Boston rap) my bike almost off the rev limiter at times. Especially going off jumps, you want it to 'snap' up the face and be in the meat of the power.

Also:
    1) There is no 'line' in MX. In comparison to roadracing that is. In roadracing there is THE LINE which is the 'quick' way around the track. Not so much in MX. In MX the line changes lap to lap. You can hit the same corner 10 different ways.
    2) Learn to ride the ruts (inside) or berms (outside) and trust the tires to grip. For the most part you seem to be riding around the corner without using either. You need to get the bike into the turn and fire it off the berm or track it thru the ruts. Inside ruts suck. I practice them everytime I go..

Mainly: Keep ripping laps.

Rad you are riding mx tracks, like mentioned just more and more seat time will help (and not being ugly). Like Alex said, there is no defined "line", in fact as the day goes on, the fastest line on the track often changes or morphs into something different (fast ruts/berms get blown out from inside to outside and such). Have fun brapping and shift down so that thing is putting down some power!

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Yeah, Im listening to the advice, and trying to get better. I've literally been on the big track 3 times now so I think Im doing ok, just need more seat time. Here's my latest "hot" laps. Still need to keep the RPMs up a lot better though. Least Im starting to clear some of the jumps, feels better than casing them.

http://youtu.be/MsHrRPugU_8

Zip Tie Alley #505

Much better than last time. Nice.

Paul_E_D

Well, newest video taken last night. Playing around with stealing a13xs mounting points, I dig it, gives a cool perspective. Didnt really I was rear braking quite this much, but I guess its good I dont notice it? Anyway, any other advice you can see is appreciated (Yes, I move my foot around a lot, and Im still not ripping the powerband as much as I should)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XU7S...ature=youtu.be

Zip Tie Alley #505

Your vids are getting more obscure. We can critique your right foot in this vid. You're dagling it too low. Get it up and forward boy!

Park that wife of yours on the side of the track with the camera if you want some critique! A few spots. A corner, a jump, the whoops. Whack it together, and then someone could offer something helpful.

Paul_E_D

Yeah I figured not much could be seen, I just like the angle it came out. I managed to convince the wife to tape for like 2 laps, its tough to drag her off track herself. And I just look so damn slow being taped, Ill pass making it public.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Wirelessly posted

Paul_E_D

I agree on having someone else tape you. We can't tell when your standing , sitting etc. You look like your getting around the track pretty well though. Tim

Seem to be riding way way better than the original video. I watched the newest one. Sounds like you're far more aggressive on throttle and going off jumps and stuff. I could hear the bike shifting and hitting the limiter at times.

Good stuff.

oh shiet...I did helmet cam, and damn...the camera makes you look slower than you feel like you're going!

I'm going to practice some other angles too...top of the helmet really doesn't show much of anything for yourself

anyways...are there any good intro books out there for dirty riding?

looks like fun. I want a dirt bike.