Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

DOG CRAP !

DOG CRAP !

I decided to burn up a personal day yesterday to get some things done on my "to do list" then went for a ride in the afternoon as it was too nice not to.

I took a dirt road some where around rt 12 ish that didn;t say it was a dead end, but petered off to more like a trail , I followed it for a couple miles through several large puddles from the heavy rain we had , when it turned to more like a trail and less like a road I stopped to scout ahead a bit .

this is what made up my mind to turn around, apparantly the beavers had been busy .

from what I could tell it was only 9-12 '' deep but up ahead looked pretty dark and probably deeper than I wanted to venture alone, so I turned around as there was no way I was getting 500lb bike out of the muck by myself, not that I would want to have to do it with help either.

there was water everywhere from the heavy rain , this road is usually pretty dry.

ugly mug

so that was friday .

Saturday Leah and I headed out for some local dirt road action .

there are a couple windmills on the back side of Mt Wachusett you can just make them out through the trees

Here is the DOG CRAP part of the ride ,

I was "just riding along" when all of a sudden my bike sounded really loud , as if I didn't have a muffler , so I pull over to find that it was falling off.

so I get off the bike and stand on the side of the road to check out the damage when i find myself standing in a pile of dog crap .
    THANKS TO THE A HOLE THAT WALKS THEIR DOG DOWN THAT PARTICULAR DIRT ROAD AND DOESN'T ATLEAST HAVE THE DECENCY TO TOSS THE CRAP IN THE WOODS IF YOU AREN;T GOING TO TAKE IT HOME WITH YOU IN A BAG !

Now there is in fact a recall from kawasaki for the muffler bolts and at the time of purchase, the dealership said that they would get the bolts for both bikes, I said that I could install them to save myself a trip back , so they said they would mail them to me , and since the bolts haven;t shown up in the mail yet it was out of sight out of mind until today when it fell off rubbing pretty good on the wheel , thankfully it didn;t jam in there

being that I went to the school of McGuyver I carry what most would think of as too much stuff , but I happend to have one bolt that would fit one of teh holes and some safety wire for the other hole

back in business

after I scrapped the pooh off my boot we were on our way .

as soon as we got home I called the salesman and explained the situation , and come to find out they never ordered the recall bolts for me, but I was assured that they were now on order and i should see them in a week or so . ................... we shall see.

It was a nice day for a ride despite the dog crap .

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by theothersean; 11-21-09 at 05:34 PM.
    12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Re: DOG CRAP !

You really ought to start carrying those shopping bags with you to pick up other peoples dog crap!

And bear crap...

And deer crap ...

And bunny crap ....

And ...

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride would do.

You would not of made it past the Beaver pond Sean. It is very deep this time of year. Not beavers causing it, just lack of drainage.

I grew up a couple miles from there. Ridden that road on bikes, trucks and mt bikes more times than I can count. There is actually quite a bit of riding out there and there are a few other ways to get in so you can skip the deep water.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Currently View Post
    You really ought to start carrying those shopping bags with you to pick up other peoples dog crap!

And bear crap...

And deer crap ...

And bunny crap ....

And ...
    sadly I probably have some means in my bag of tricks to dispose of others fecal matter, not that I would want to, but I could have .

Calyton , when I turned around on the "trail/road" , I passed a cabin in the woods on the left , big No trespassing signs and such , then shortly after I came to a 4way , I was going to go left but realized that it was an old rail bed ties still in the ground but steel rails removes , and it didn;t want to find out the hard way that I was on a rail trail with a gate at the other end so I decided not to proceed , do you know if it is in fact a railtrail or could I have continued ?

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Had you taken the sharp left, that would of taken you up the railroad beds until a washout where there is a beaver dam. Had you taken a right, you would of gone down the rail road bed past the lake and out at the gas station.

Plenty of other ways to get in there. Next time you are up this way, let me know, I'll show you everything up there.

Btw, that is a sportsmans club cabin from a nieghboring town.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by theothersean View Post

from what I could tell it was only 9-12 '' deep but up ahead looked pretty dark and probably deeper than I wanted to venture alone, so I turned around as there was no way I was getting 500lb bike out of the muck by myself, not that I would want to have to do it with help either.
    egad...good choice for sure

somewhat shitty (ha), but overall looks like a good day of riding

what was wrong with the bolts in the recall? was the metal soft which predisposed it to breaking? or was it loose from the factory?

I've lost a couple important bolts on the trail and it sucks.

For new dirtyriders/side note: I've learned this one way or another, make sure you tighten EVERYTHING or it will fall off!

That water crossing looks like most trails at Pachaug

Yamaha

Damn. Glad u got it sorted

LRRS #399
    MX #505

I know the recall bolts are longer than the stock ones .
    I am not sure if it is the klr in gereral that rattles bolts loose or if it was who ever prepped the bikes but on our first ride out with them , I found a subframe bolt was missing, 2 rides later bot luggage racks were loose and now my muffler had 2 bolts fall completly off.
    on fasteners that I find loose, I put some med loctite on them all and check often, now teh muffler bolts will be gettting a check more oftenas well.

Clayton , thanks, it was a spur of the moment thing for me to be in the area , I usually head west or stay closer to home if you are ever heading out, let me know , i'll tag along .

Its a good idea if you do any offroad or even street for that matter to keep some basic fasterners, perhaps 1 of each size diameter bolt on your bike , some safetywire, few zip ties and ductape, it will get you on your way , might not be pretty but you can fix it proper when you get home .

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Quote Originally Posted by theothersean View Post
    Its a good idea if you do any offroad or even street for that matter to keep some basic fasterners, perhaps 1 of each size diameter bolt on your bike , some safetywire, few zip ties and ductape, it will get you on your way , might not be pretty but you can fix it proper when you get home .
    Agreed. I also carry extra oil with me as well as plenty of spark plugs. You never know how many of those bastards you are going to need with different altitude changes, especially on a 2 stroker.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

Sean that looks like you had a nice ride. I can not believe that your muffler fell off, though, and even a hrader time believing that there was a recall on the bolts! I always believed KLR's to be reliable as cinder blocks. I guess that I am just surprised that the new models have some problems, when the old version had been pretty much completely sorted out.
    I had an '84 KLR600, which was before electric starters, and the huge tank. I always thought that it was a pretty good bike, until I took it on the ice and got walked by a DR350!
    As for the dog crap, same thing up by my place. Every now and then I pull into my driveway, and.....EWWWW! Living at the end of the road, a lot of my neighbors like to use the dirt section as their pet's own personal toilet.
    IMO - Everybody should pick up after their pets!