Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need some help.

Need some help.

Hey everybody. I just picked up a dirtbike really cheap(it was my best friends and he's passed on) but i don't know what it is. He was working on it so it's mostly in pieces and missing pieces. I know it's a Yamaha built in 2000 and that it's a 4 stroke. So my question is, how can i figure out what kind of bike it is/how big it is. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Need some help.

photos?...could use the vin #...or just email yamaha

http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vin/yamaha.asp

Last edited by Point37; 01-25-13 at 12:19 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Ok, in 2000 Yam had both air cooled and liquid cooled four strokes on the market. If it's a liquid, it'll be a 400 or 426 as they didn't have the 250 rolling at that point. Air cooled it cold be anything from a 90 to a 350. Post some pics.

Yea pics of the motor and you will be golden.........easy

Get the vin#, call local dealer,done. Year and model will be given to you.

GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold 9930)

If by "passed on" you mean that your best friend is no longer with us, then my sincere condolences.

With the bike question, yea calling local dealer is your best bet.

Thank you all for the responses. I ended up calling the dealer and they told me it was a 2000 YZ426F. So now for my next question, does anybody here know about these? I've worked on 2 strokes but never a four. I'm also confused about an additional lever on the handlebars, under the clutch lever. What is that for?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gixxer View Post
    Thank you all for the responses. I ended up calling the dealer and they told me it was a 2000 YZ426F. So now for my next question, does anybody here know about these? I've worked on 2 strokes but never a four. I'm also confused about an additional lever on the handlebars, under the clutch lever. What is that for?
    The additional smaller lever is a hot start lever. Pull it in when the bike is hot for starting.

These were the first 4 stroke mx bike ever produced and they really revolutionized the 4 stroke market. They had a few quirks like they were a little tricky to start, but they were solid machines. I think John Linn (trouble) has one.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Here it is when i got it and how it's sitting after a night of tinkering/building. Turns out there are a lot of parts missing.
    Need some help.-img_20130124_144801-jpg
    Need some help.-img_20130126_093424-jpg

From the picture it doesn't look like there is that much missing. Rear axle, rear fender, front numberplate?

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    From the picture it doesn't look like there is that much missing. Rear axle, rear fender, front numberplate?
    That's how it would appear but there are a lot of missing bolts(motor isnt even bolted in), shift lever, various hoses, etc, mostly small parts. Turns out both wheels are fronts so i needed to pick up a rear, clutch cable is stretched beyond use, missing sprockets, etc. Other than fleabay, are there any good sources for cheap dirtbike parts?

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    The additional smaller lever is a hot start lever. Pull it in when the bike is hot for starting.
    Wrong! The little lever is a decomp lever used only to find TDC after the compression stroke. You will need this every time you start the bike. Some say it was a pain, but I found the bikes with a decomp lever to start eaiser than the bikes with auto decomp...2003 and up YZ450's went to an auto decomp and the lever on the bars became a hot start
    The hot start on the 426 is the little red knob on the carb that looks like a choke, I hardly ever had to use that on mine

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

That's how it would appear but there are a lot of missing bolts(motor isnt even bolted in), shift lever, various hoses, etc, mostly small parts. Turns out both wheels are fronts so i needed to pick up a rear, clutch cable is stretched beyond use, missing sprockets, etc. Other than fleabay, are there any good sources for cheap dirtbike parts?
    Sign up for Thumpertalk forum and keep on eye on the sale sections, probably your best bet for finding a lot of smaller parts. It sucks about the missing bolts, something so simple could get expensive quick.
    Also there's a wide range in years where the wheels interchange. I want to say it's somewhere from 1999 up to 2010 for the rear. That includes YZ/WR 250, YZ/WR 426 and YZ/WR 450. The wheel spacers do change in those years, so keep that in mind

Yamaha

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty

These were the first 4 stroke mx bike ever produced and they really revolutionized the 4 stroke market. They had a few quirks like they were a little tricky to start, but they were solid machines. I think John Linn (trouble) has one.
    Huh? Nah. Decomp lever.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Oops mark already replied on this.

also sorry to hear about your friend...

I still use the craigslist/ebay sources for parts...getting a parts bike is also pretty helpful if you're missing a good amount of it

first thing I'd do is check the motor for compression, valve clearance, and leakdown. I'd also take a look at the clutch assy and make sure the crank has no play (very easy to check). If all checks out, look for a parts bike. You will find one, due to the age of the bike. You'll end up with a healthy box of spares, which is a good thing.

Around 98/99 I was given a '93 KX125 that was missing a few things. I figured how could I go wrong? Turns out it needed piston, cylinder, head, crank, clutch etc etc etc...It would've cost more to fix/restore than to just go buy a good used bike. I sold it to a salvage yard. Just don't wanna see anyone go through the "good money after bad" dance.

Good luck with the project. They are very capable bikes for sure!

Well good news about the bike. The engine just went through a fresh rebuild, hence the reason it was all apart. I have receipts from parts and its fairly obvious(if i had looked closer) that all the engine/trans gaskets are brand spankin' new. Seems like now i just have to figure out which hoses and wires go where and find the various missing bolts. I'm assuming it's fairly easy to do front wheel bearings on one of these?

Nice, definitely a worthwhile project then! I'd start with a Clymer manual. I've always had good luck with them. Front wheel bearings will be easy as long as things aren't seized up. There's a little castle nut that needs to be carefully driven out with hammer and screwdriver. if it doesn't come out easy then you'll need a special tool which is relatively cheap. In any case I like the "all balls" kits that provide a new castle nut.

Quote Originally Posted by slowkermit View Post
    Just don't wanna see anyone go through the "good money after bad" dance.
    done this once, never again!

Yamaha has got the easiest parts system by far. Great schematics/drawings to find exactly whats missing. All online too. Your in luck. Click and learn

http://www.ysppart.com/

Last edited by Rambunctous; 01-27-13 at 06:41 PM.

Need some help.

Mines a '99 WR400. I haven't done much to it besides a valve adjustment and some minor tidbits. If I can be any help just let me know.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Wrong! The little lever is a decomp lever used only to find TDC after the compression stroke. You will need this every time you start the bike. Some say it was a pain, but I found the bikes with a decomp lever to start eaiser than the bikes with auto decomp...2003 and up YZ450's went to an auto decomp and the lever on the bars became a hot start
    The hot start on the 426 is the little red knob on the carb that looks like a choke, I hardly ever had to use that on mine
    Whoops.

Good news, it's a Yamaha. That means there are a metric ass-ton of years that have parts that'll swap right on.

On wheels: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/546...hat-fits-what/

99 to 2008 rear wheels from any of the YZ125/250 or YZF250/400/426/450 or WR450 machines will all drop in, just make sure you're using 2000 rear wheel spacers.

As you ID the bolts, etc you need, do reverse part number searches to see what other years/models use the same PN, that'll help you cast a wider net when scouring eBay. In some cases, it's cheaper and easier to just get a bunch of stuff new from someplace like Rocky Mountain ATV, etc than trying to deal with individual used crusty bits on eBay. Sometimes, eBay wins by a mile. I've been down this exact road before with my 92 WR250R and would be more than happy to help.

Thank you all for the help, it is much appreciated. I ended up scoring a nice rear wheel from an 07 with rotor sprocket and bearings on ebay for cheap money. I didn't realize Yamaha dirtbikes were so interchangeable. I've been ordering parts left and right as i come across them cheap but what i really need is a set of nuts and bolts for the whole bike. Trying to scrounge around ebay for one oddball bolt is getting tiresome. Does anybody make bolt kits for an entire bike?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast