Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Dual sport riding in our area

Re: Dual sport riding in our area

Am I otherwise wrong or missing something on that??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

No. I think your description is right.
    The way I play it is if I find a gate on what I think is a road and it has a lock, I turn around; my assumption is wrong. If it has no lock, I open, go through and reset the gate.
    I've found exactly one unlocked gate and lots of locked ones, some with nasty signs threatening me with gigantic fines.

The NH DOT has road maps for all towns which you can find here: ftp://dot.city:streetmap@nhftp.admin.state.nh.us

They are not 100% gospel as towns can make changes throughout the year but they are a great starting point.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Tons of legal dirt roads in the Granville Mass area (Russell, Sandisfield, Otis, east and west hartland CT) with many many other legal and not so legal single track trails intersecting.

I'm not all wired in with GPS routing for these areas, but I know others are, and it is all well documented. Best bet for finding it is advrider or one of the clubs. Some of it is the trans mass trail...

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    That's also, in part, because you bought a house there. Why try and dualsport out of your house in Boston when you can dualsport out of your house in nh?

Mr Steve: many, if not all, of the unpaved roads in Plymouth are ok to traverse with a sple street reg. The exceptions are in MSSF, and are gated, and marked for no motorized vehicles. Street and trail.
    My understanding in NH is if it's a road, on a map, you're allowed to ride it with a treet reg. You need their sticker to ride their actual trails (just like here in mass). In nh class 6 roads may be gated by landowners, but they are required to be open. So you can legally let yourself in and out, just put the gate back how you found it.
    Some landowners are pissy about this. The law is the law though. They cannot stop you from using an actual road.
    A few of my buddies in snh have taken to looking at maps at the local townhouses prior to exploring, so they know ahead of time what's fair game and what isn't, in that respect.
    Thanks, this is pretty much what I figured. If it doesn't tell me not to ride on it and it shows up on my GPS as a road, it's fair game.

Also, I'm not ripping it up on any of these roads on my behemoth VFR1200. I figure the likely worst case is I apologize and admit I got a bit lost.

Lifer

I've not experienced it, but I've been threatened that the "worst case" is much worse than that. Trespassing charges and some pretty hefty (downright unreasonable I'd say) sounding fines.
    My belief is that was a cranky ass-hat bike hater being a cranky asshat.. but. You know. YMMV I guess.

Redistribution Supplier

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspeed View Post
    Are there areas in MA or NH that you can ride at your own risk legally?? I'm trying to figure out if a duel sport is worth it or just get an off road bike. Is a duel sport required in some areas because it is registered? Basically I want to ride for free on land that it is ok to do on.
    I just put lights,signals etc on my 450 XCR-W this season,and I wish I would have done this years ago.Wrentham/Plainville I am on pavement a little bit so it is nice to not be paranoid about being on the streets.Local to me,I am about 6 miles from Leominster dirt.I also have the Ultimate Motorcycle Carrier that I use to transport the bike when I am going anywhere but Leominster.

Am I otherwise wrong or missing something on that??
    No you're not wrong, I was just adding to your info. I.e. if you see a class 6 road in NH that has a sign "subject to gates and bars" (I've seen a couple of these in my area), it means there might be a gate closed but you are legally allowed to travel the road so long as you close the gates after you pass through them. If the gates have locks, its usually because of a crotchety abutting land owner that has no legal right to do so.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I've not experienced it, but I've been threatened that the "worst case" is much worse than that. Trespassing charges and some pretty hefty (downright unreasonable I'd say) sounding fines.
    My belief is that was a cranky ass-hat bike hater being a cranky asshat.. but. You know. YMMV I guess.
    Possible, if it is in the statute yes. Likely, I would say far less so. It's a calculated risk.

I'm not on a rip it up, roost up grooves bike. I'm not on a loud bike. I'm a 57 year old guy puttering aimlessly down an un-maintained road. I'm not intentionally trespassing or ignoring posted signs. If I wander onto a road that is not permitted for street plated vehicles AND am pulled over, I believe the likelihood of "I'm sorry, what's the quickest way back to pavement" far exceeds "substantial fines".

From a risk management perspective I believe it is far more likely that a deer will jump out in front of me on a two lane.

Lifer

I get it. I'm just sayin'. Unfortunately some-especially in my area-don't see the difference between a harmless 57 year old guy puttering aimlessly and donald trump in a shark suit with a flame thrower spreading radioactive, non-recyclable candy bar wrappers.. Just the way the world's gone nowadays.

That's ridiculous. The Donald ain't never roosted on no dirt bike

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Thanks, this is pretty much what I figured. If it doesn't tell me not to ride on it and it shows up on my GPS as a road, it's fair game.

Also, I'm not ripping it up on any of these roads on my behemoth VFR1200. I figure the likely worst case is I apologize and admit I got a bit lost.
    I believe in MA, that is legally correct as well. If it wasn't obvious that it wasn't a road, you were fine to assume it was. My read on foot traffic is that you can basically go anywhere you want unless instructed otherwise, and you can even carry guns to go shooting until told to leave, but the woods with a motor vehicle you are by default not allowed. With an exception for when it wasn't obvious that it was now a private way. I find it interesting how different the laws of these are written... almost like the history slowly shifted from 'ya, it's the woods, of course you use it' to 'herp derp muh propertah even if it's 300 miles from my house'.

Is there any MA law that specifically addresses foot traffic through unimproved land? Section 120 linked above seems to address everything except. I'm curious if you could ever be no-trespassed from it even if posted. Am I missing something?

nedirtriders.com

Cool great info here. I'll be sure to get any necessary stickers. Bought a bike at a NH dealership and picking it up tomorrow. I'm thinking they can get me a NH OHV sticker. If so I'll have to check out some trails this Sunday! I won't have any street registration yet though.

Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

you are required to share which bike you've purchased so we can tell you how to spend more of your money.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

you are required to share which bike you've purchased so we can tell you how to spend more of your money.
    Haha! I got a ktm exc-f 350. I was originally after the wr250r but the deal I couldn't pass up and also I factored in the aftermarket I'd end up putting into the wr. I figure this bike just needs a skid plate and real hand guards. Thats it! Oh and like any other oem rubber, new tires. I know myself and will eventually try dirt trackdays so why not get the bike I won't ever regret or out grow.

Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

I'll let the shock wear off before I start with upgrades for that.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I'll let the shock wear off before I start with upgrades for that.
    Yeah anything suspension wise will be a learning curve here. I haven't looked into what is good for sags yet for dirt. I'll adjust it for my weight and see how it goes. 225lb rider here so typically bikes need heavier springs. Edit: but for the time being, it should be fine for now.

Last edited by Jayspeed; 08-11-17 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspeed View Post
    Yeah anything suspension wise will be a learning curve here. I haven't looked into what is good for sags yet for dirt. I'll adjust it for my weight and see how it goes. 225lb rider here so typically bikes need heavier springs.
    For sure. The good news is, even stock, it's better than most (if not all) other factory dual sports and at least on par with any other factory woods bike.
    The list is actually pretty short for upgrades. You've done well, IMO.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Great bike! Do it all!!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

350 EXC-F would be right at the top of my short list were I shopping right now. A fine choice.

I've never put springs into a bike and regretted it. 230 lbs rider here.
    Plates n' hand guards and that jazz first though.

Do you guys think the 350 is a better choice than the 500?

Quote Originally Posted by TwelveGaugeSage View Post

Depends if you can ride or not. I'd launch a 500 into the trees in no time in the woods!

If I ever upgrade off the WR it will probably be to the 350.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    350 EXC-F would be right at the top of my short list were I shopping right now. A fine choice.

I've never put springs into a bike and regretted it. 230 lbs rider here.
    Plates n' hand guards and that jazz first though.
    That EXC-F is sooo dammmn sexy. One day I'll drop the coin on a new dual sport and the 350/500 will be first on my list of test subjects!

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Lifer

I've ridden both the 350 and the 500. The 500 is a lot. I'd save the few lbs (only a few) and be happy with the 350. Or maybe the 450 exc. somehow more tame than the 500.

I also want to try a beta 390. On paper I think it might be the perfect dual sport.

Quote Originally Posted by TwelveGaugeSage View Post
    I'm a 500 owner with plenty of seat time on the 350. Both are phenomenal bikes and will serve you well in the woods. There are tons of threads on the internet debating these 2 bikes that usually boil down to both being great for just about everything with a nod to the 350 if you will be living on tight single track and a nod to the 500 if you'll be doing more dirt roads and dual-sporting.

Handling wise, both bikes are nearly identical. The 350 feels ever so slightly more nimble than the 500 but that's not to say that the 500 is a slug. I'm not light enough or skilled enough to take advantage of any difference between the two in that regard. Apparently the 2017 350 has an even lighter engine which could improve this aspect.

The biggest difference between the bikes is how they deliver power. Engine wise, both bikes are way more powerful than necessary for single track riding. The 500 does make a good deal more power than the 350 but it doesn't hit like a 450 MXer and is very manageable in the woods. As you click off gears, it just keeps accelerating and accelerating. It has lots of low RPM torque which can be nice in slow technical areas. Both bikes like to rev, but the 350 requires more revs to keep going. There are small differences in gearing to account for this however. The fuel injection on both engines is excellent. Fuel mileage is marginally better on the 350 but nothing to write home about. Both have vastly better mileage than carbureted 2-smokes.

Where the 350 has an advantage in the tight technical trails due to its weight and how it carries it, the 500's advantage is on dirt and paved roads where its extra power and taller gearing are welcome.

If ever our paths cross, you are more than welcome to go for rip on my 500. If you have OK throttle control, it is no where near as intimidating as people make it out to be.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast