Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Dual Sport Tire Pressure

Dual Sport Tire Pressure

I was just reading the "Woods Tire" thread, and instead of going offtopic, I figured Id start a new thread.

I run like 25-30 psi in my 80/20 street/dirt tires

In that thread people were saying they run like 9psi in dirtbike tires?

Now, if im true dualsporting, dirt roads, tar roads, trails, id leave my tires alone

But I occasionally do some nasty trails with 2 friends that ride Yamaha 450 and 250 MX bikes with knobbies (I work my ass off and they have to wait for me), and the trails are very rocky, occasional deep mudholes, dirt trails, etc

If im going on a strictly dirty ride, should I drop pressure? or are on/off tires not really going to like that?

Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Dual Sport Tire Pressure

On your ATK? Airing down makes a big difference, airing back up can be a pain if you ride pavement to get to the dirt. A friend of mine bought a Slime brand battery powered air pump, removed the plastic case (cuts it's size in half) and it packs pretty small and runs off the bikes battery. I may do the same.

Yes, drop some pressure in the woods. They'll just wear a little faster during the pavement section you ride till you fill em back up. 12psi is "pretty much" the standard dirtbike pressure. With 80/20 tires I'd start at 18, and drop them a little at a time to see what felt best. I don't think I'd go down to 12, but you never know. It depends on the tire itself, the terrain, and the suspension.
    The worst damage you could do is pinch flat, or ding up the rim on a rock with a bad hit.
    Brap.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveMonkey View Post
    On your ATK? Airing down makes a big difference, airing back up can be a pain if you ride pavement to get to the dirt. A friend of mine bought a Slime brand battery powered air pump, removed the plastic case (cuts it's size in half) and it packs pretty small and runs off the bikes battery. I may do the same.
    Yeah on the atk, at 6'5" 250 I tend to ride it more than the xt225 lol

I wouldn't bother trying to air up/down in one trip for dirt/pavement, Im thinking if I go on a strictly dirty ride I would air down, I can leave for those trails from my backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Yes, drop some pressure in the woods. They'll just wear a little faster during the pavement section you ride till you fill em back up. 12psi is "pretty much" the standard dirtbike pressure. With 80/20 tires I'd start at 18, and drop them a little at a time to see what felt best. I don't think I'd go down to 12, but you never know. It depends on the tire itself, the terrain, and the suspension.
    The worst damage you could do is pinch flat, or ding up the rim on a rock with a bad hit.
    Brap.
    The tires are avons

The terrain is quite nasty, the rock climb section reminds me of a very weak "erzberg rodeo"

Bike has white power suspension, front forks were GMD rebuilt/stock spec, back shock is stock, and im sure not sprung for someone my size.

thanks for the advice though guys! Next trip Ill air down and bring the go-pro!

Lifer

Your ATK, shod with those Avon's, is pretty much a street bike, IMO. I probably would not bother airing down to 12-14 PSI like a real dirt bike. No matter what you do with tires like those, you are not going to have much grip under true of-road conditions. The weight of your ATK is the other big factor. High weight, combined with street tires = Relatively little forward motion, and sketchy handling.

"or are on/off tires not really going to like that?" - Yes.

JMO. I have owned 650cc Dual Sport bikes. Putting real dirt tires on them is the only way to actually enjoy riding them off-road.

I don't know man, I ride dirty with it all the time, and it isn't that heavy of a bike really.... Its air cooled, and there isn't much to it, and what there is is aluminum

Ive literally gone mudding with it lol

Edit: it only weighs 280 lbs with 50 hp

Last edited by xrocket21; 10-15-13 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    In that thread people were saying they run like 9psi in dirtbike tires?
    Everyone else already chimed in about your DS tires, but to get my pressure down to 9psi, I'm using a bias ply tire with stiff sidewalls and an ultra heavy duty tube which is easily 2-3 times the thickness of the tire carcass not including the knobs.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Like Greg said, those are far from dual sport tires. On a good day they're 90/10's at best. That is what is holding you back off road.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    Like Greg said, those are far from dual sport tires. On a good day they're 90/10's at best. That is what is holding you back off road.
    Oh ya, as I was getting roosted in the face from the 450 as I slipped around in the slimey mud, I was well aware. I don't plan to get knobbies, I was just wondering if it would be worth it to air down when I go on strictly dirty rides.

Lifer

The ATK 605 deserves good tires! At least throw a Kenda Trackmaster II on the rear, and a Pirelli MT-16 on the front (This should run you about $120). You will still be street legal (both are DOT approved), but you will be able to maintain a good pace off road, without risking your life! Bonus: You will actually have FUN! Instead of just trying to remain upright. Run 12-14 PSI all around.

Lifer

I did not mean to sound so condescending. Lowering pressures in those tires will probably not work very well, but you can try it. Your bike is *neat*!

Riding my TTR around on the street really showed me that DOT knobbies are a lot more street capable than one would believe. I would guess I'm on 90/10 dirt/street. I'm sure a 50/50 would be better on the street than expected.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube