Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Annnnddd there goes my season

Annnnddd there goes my season

I have A real bad case ADD. So sometimes I won't be paying attention when I should be at the track. And @ MX207 I found out the hardway.

Broke collar bone and separated my shoulder.... BUT DON'T WORRY ! Bike is alright.

On a side note its INSANE how much adrenaline can mask the pain. After the crash I got right up, thought nothing was wrong, went to reach for my bike and realized my arm wouldnt budge. At that instant my stomach just DROPPED and I realized I fucked something up badly. So I took off my glove, ran my hand over my sholder... everything was fine. Up and won my arm... everything was fine..... rolled it over the collar bone and felt this HUGE POINTY BUMP .

Well that bump was half the collar bone sticking up !. Clean break !

And then thats when the pain started shuttling in !

Went down the street a mile to a walk in clinic, did X-Rays ... etc the usual. Now Im waiting to see the surgeon to see if I need surgery.

but this is why i pay $400+ month for insurance nothing worse than being injured and worryings about payments

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by danny86; 08-31-11 at 02:30 PM.

Re: Annnnddd there goes my season

Bummer. I hope you can get back pn the horse quickly.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Riding "The Widow Maker" LiterR1's Avatar

Ouch
    Ohhhhh the Pain I hope it is not as painful as it sounds, you will be back before you know it

Quote Originally Posted by Danny500 View Post
    Talk about good riders... you are one fun guy to ride with!!

Welcome to the club. I'm a new member still pop'n perc's as needed. I'm saving some for the pain of the bills we're acquiring. Good luck!

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."

Sorry to hear it MX is a tuff game...I took a swing arm off the lower back and had 8-80cc vials drained and another 6 the next day...FunFun

Heal up quick...

Last edited by Pigman; 08-31-11 at 08:56 AM.

Crud, glad to hear you're upright after that.

Gotta ask, which jump did you in?

damn, heal up quick man!

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

After 3 shoulder surgeries.... here's my advice. DO SURGERY, go to someone with a specialty in active sports surgeries, and THERAPY, THERAPY, THERAPY.

Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT ignore your Physical Therapy. It is the single biggest key to getting you back on the track at 100%.

Good luck w/ your recovery.

CCS/LRRS #83

2WT

Quote Originally Posted by danny86 View Post
    I have A real bad case ADD. So sometimes I won't be paying attention when I should be at the track. And @ MX207 I found out the hardway.

Broke collar bone and separated my shoulder.... BUT DON'T WORRY ! Bike is alright.

On a side note its INSANE how much adrenaline can mask the pain. After the crash I got right up, thought nothing was wrong, went to reach for my bike and realized my arm wouldnt budge. At that instant my stomach just DROPPED and I realized I fucked something up badly. So I took off my glove, ran my hand over my sholder... everything was fine. Up and won my arm... everything was fine..... rolled it over the collar bone and felt this HUGE POINTY BUMP .

Well that bump was half the collar bone sticking up !. Clean break !

And then thats when the pain started shuttling in !

Went down the street a mile to a walk in clinic, did X-Rays ... etc the usual. Now Im waiting to see the surgeon to see if I need surgery.

but this is why i pay $400+ month for insurance nothing worse than being injured and worryings about payments
    I have a metal plate on my right clavical which was broken by a seatbelt in 1998. Be careful who you see for your doctors. Let me tell a short story

After the accident in 1998 I went to the hospital and they put me in a sling after taking xrays etc and said that it would heal up on it's own. Oddly enough about a month later I had NO PAIN at all and thought it was healed. I did think it was kinda funny though that I could grab my collar bone which was protruding upwards (like the OP said his was) and I could move it back and forth (think along the axis of your shoulder, not pushing in and out). Everyone was always grossed out about it but all of the doctors I saw said it was healed.

In 2000 I enlisted in the Marines and went to MEPS in Albany NY. When I saw the military doctor I asked them if the shoulder would be ok. They looked at x-rays and then asked if I could do a single push-up. I said sure and they said show me. I got to 10 they said ok stop you'll be fine.

After going through the first few weeks of training my shoulder started to ache. Especially when they had you run in place and drop into the push-up position. The impact of landing hurt bad and over the course of the first 3 weeks of training I was put to tears 4 times. Yea yea you can say haha a guy cried. No it was not me crying out of pain rather a reaction my body was forcing. I couldn't hold it back. Every time my Sr Drill Instructor asked what was wrong recruit I promptly replied there is nothing wrong with this recruit sir.

After the 4th time he said you don't want to tell me, go to med hall I'll find out.

When I was there it was a whole bunch of the Hurry Up And Wait. When I saw the doctor on Parris Island he took X-Rays and said well it looks like you will be going home.

My collar bone WAS STILL BROKEN! I muscle had moved between the bones so there was no pain as they were not hitting each other. Bone kinda grew over the split ends which they had to remove when they put the metal plate in.

I saw about 4 different doctors whom said it was healed before the one at Parris Island said it was broken. They sent me home on an Erroneous Discharge which I guess is neither good nor bad but that I shouldn't have been sent down
    in the first place. I have my DD214 but don't think I qualify for any military benefits, nor would I think I should be since I never passed through training.

Just make sure you go to a reputable doctor and do your research on them because I thought the first 3 I went to were.

Last edited by jcrawford; 08-31-11 at 11:44 AM.

apparently the docs said itll heal on its own ??? is that possible ? broken in 3 spots

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    After 3 shoulder surgeries.... here's my advice. DO SURGERY, go to someone with a specialty in active sports surgeries, and THERAPY, THERAPY, THERAPY.

Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT ignore your Physical Therapy. It is the single biggest key to getting you back on the track at 100%.

Good luck w/ your recovery.
    im a gym freak as it is but the docs said itll heal on its own ?? do i trust them ?
    they said its diff than shoulders.... as clavicles are a seperate case...

2WT

im a gym freak as it is but the docs said itll heal on its own ?? do i trust them ?
    they said its diff than shoulders.... as clavicles are a seperate case...
    read my post above GET A 2ND OPINION!

I dont see 3 breaks... is it 2 breaks, 3 pieces? hard to tell...

In either case, I've broken a clavical 3 times. They wont heal on their own if the pieces are as far apart as they look in the xrays.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrawford View Post
    read my post above GET A 2ND OPINION!
    Thats the thing....

I went to the walk in clinic in Maine and they said it'll most likely heal on its own...

I just came back from Boston Medical and the Dr said it'll heal on its own... i you could have surgery but it wont make much of a difference...

Im see th orthopedic surgeon on Friday to get his opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    I dont see 3 breaks... is it 2 breaks, 3 pieces? hard to tell...

In either case, I've broken a clavical 3 times. They wont heal on their own if the pieces are as far apart as they look in the xrays.
    Ya I meant 2. Im also on a shitload of oxycodene

Orthopedic Associates would be my suggestion who to talk to.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

It might heal on it's own, if you do absolutely zip and don't move your shoulder around at all, even in your sleep.... Opinions will be many, but I'm a firm believer in being proactive, having someone who knows what they're doing fix you up, and THEN doing as LITTLE as possible while it heals, followed by doing as MUCH as possible during PT.

CCS/LRRS #83

me ADDing out and then target fixating is how i ran into a guardrail last year and broke my collarbone and dislocated my other shoulder

Damn Danny. Sorry to hear. Get another opinion and don't rush it. Let it do it's thing fully.

apparently the docs said itll heal on its own ??? is that possible ? broken in 3 spots
    Welcome to the club. http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...went-down.html

I pretty much had the same injurie and it didn't require surgery.

Make sure you do good PT.

Last edited by Doc; 08-31-11 at 08:31 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

when i broke my collarbone, i broke it in two places and it was all sorts of displaced and the doctor said that it would heal on its own albeit a huge lump on my shoulder and all id have to do was wear a figure 8, or i could get the surgery and it would be smooth and id just have a gnarly scar.

Quote Originally Posted by ecd2004 View Post
    when i broke my collarbone, i broke it in two places and it was all sorts of displaced and the doctor said that it would heal on its own albeit a huge lump on my shoulder and all id have to do was wear a figure 8, or i could get the surgery and it would be smooth and id just have a gnarly scar.
    ?? you chose ??

Lifer

Get the second opinion and make sure to tell them what you do for work, hobbies, etc. 'Healing' to a desk jockey/couch potato is completely different than 'healing' to an active person...

I popped mine mtn biking - it was a double break that healed on it's own (sort of) I have the tell tale lump, but x-rays show the pieces bonded together. I wore a sling for a few weeks as needed - It really worked well to hold extra beers at parties!

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

?? you chose ??
    yeah, the doc said that there would be the same amount of healing time and i could go with either one. my collarbone was shaped like a "Z" and i didnt want it to be raised about an inch for the rest of my life so i went with the surgery

^ Docs said same to me for a severly separated shoulder (AC joint). I decided on no surgery and you can still see my collarbone stuck out above my shoulder but its healed pretty good. I gets sore sometimes but I'm not sure how much better it would be if I had the surgery, I was just sick of surgeries and took his word that it could heal as good without that. I got the same from several docs

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast