Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Enduro, Scramble, Turkey Run, etc....

Enduro, Scramble, Turkey Run, etc....

This spring I picked up an '01 CR125 because I was jonesing for a dirty machine after selling my 450 last year. I am too old to get back into MX, so I am trying to find out what these off-road races are all about. I went to the NETRA site which was pretty good for a listing of all the events around, but I am looking for some more basic info I guess (I honestly have no idea what the difference is between an endure and hare scramble, what the requirements are, what to expect, etc).

I appreciate any links, suggestions, advise, insults..thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Enduro, Scramble, Turkey Run, etc....

I am sure Chippa will chime in and give you DL.........or PM him he is the enuro hare scrambled eggs KiNG

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

www.nedirtbikes.com is a more dirt oriented reference that you could check out while waiting on replies here.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

i'm no Chippa but raced off-road for a bit. some coins for now...

with your CR, if it's not road reg'd but has a spark arrestor, you can race hare scrambles. basically a closed course woods race to the finish. some are dead engine starts meaning bike off, gun fires, kick and go. some are LeMans style starts where you run to the bike, fire and go. (pretty fun). i'm not sure what type of starts NETRA events have, i did most of my racing in Florida. races were ~3hrs long (C-class). what to expect? rip through the woods as fast as you can yes, it's grueling but super fun.

enduro and turkey runs will (most likely) need a road legal bike. enduro = timing type stuff. i think turkey runs are more like dual sport spirited 'routes' or rides. haven't tried either of these type yet so not really clear.

i'm sure Chip and crew will chime in with better detail.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Clinton pretty much nailed it ^.

All the netra scrambles I've been to have been dead engine. Actually, all the woods races I've been to, period, have been dead engine. As he said, you need a street reg for enduros, and almost all the turkey runs. They both use road connector sections. A turkey run is essentially a trail ride (not a race at all, cept maybe you verse your buddies). Some of the trs use the local enduro course entirely, some use parts of various woods loops as optional "hero" sections.

There's a short course scramble series PSTR puts on, 2-40m motos, combined score for overall, which is a pretty fun format. And there's jday around too. He's got a great following with his format of 2-30min motos, of combined trails/fire roads/some mild mx (all either rollable or go around)/some enduro-X type obstacles too.

With the 125, I say, make sure it has a spark arrestor (some events will turn you away) and maybe a flywheel weight, and have at it. It's a lot of fun, it's physically punishing, and a great excuse to stay reasonably fit.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I will be trail riding soon in Maine. I see your from Augusta. I planning a trip to Blue Mountain State Park with one other guy. If you wanna trail ride meet up with us. If you wanna race just pass me & its on.

As a new off-road rider, I can say it's pretty addicting. It's been covered but, I second the short course type races as a good way to start. I recently found out that a full length enduro is no joke. It fucked me up for days after. And, the closed course hair scrambles are riding with no breaks for 2-3 hours and 30-40 miles. The PSTR short courses are awesome! It's 30-40 minutes around a reasonably rideable woods course that you lap 5-10 times depending on the course. It's nice because you can actually get to learn the course and ride harder than new trail constantly. As far as J-Day, everyone sais it's smooths flowing woods riding with man made obstacles like jumps and log crossings. You tube is a great source for that.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I forgot to add that netra c class scrambles are 1.5hrs.
    C class enduros are typically shorter mileage too (not this past one jc, you earned that shit)

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Thanks for the info, looks like I will only be able to do the scrambles with an MX bike..no steet reg.

Hare Scrambles - You vs. the other riders and the terrain. Balls-out race to the finish

Enduro - You vs. the terrain (and maybe a rider stuck in a mudhole). Timed race with scoring like golf.

Turkey Run - You vs. your friends if you bring them. Relaxed trail ride in places you normally cannot ride.

Dual Sport Adventure Ride - Long (100+ miles) easy/beginner ride that big (400lb+) bikes can navigate

Generally, only HS and J-day allow non-registered bikes, with a few exceptions like the Toys for Tots run with PSTR.