Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Is expensive gear more durable?

Is expensive gear more durable?

I've got 3 sets of Alias MX gear. Now, I like to crash a lot, so the gear takes a bit of a beating. But every set of gear is in poor shape -- the jerseys seem to rip easily, and the hot exhaust has melted through the pants when I've gotten stuck under the bike for even a second.

Are the more expensive brands more durable? Fox, Klim, etc.? They're more expensive, certainly, and at this point I'd pay more if the stuff would last longer.

Is expensive gear more durable?-img_8515-jpg
    Is expensive gear more durable?-img_8516-jpg
    Is expensive gear more durable?-img_8517-jpg

Again, I realize that I'm not kind on my gear, but I've worn this stuff less than 10 times each.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Re: Is expensive gear more durable?

IMO, the important key parts like Helmets, boots, and padding (knee/elbow/back, etc) is worth the extra cash and seems more durable. There aren't many pants that won't melt when they touch an exhaust, and most jerseys will rip easily. Jersey and pants are more about look vs protection as far as spending $$ goes

Yamaha

I think that Klim stuff is another level as far as money but I've got a set of Fox jersey and pants, pretty sure I'm going on season three with them. No rips and the material is pretty good as far as wicking moisture away while riding.

The fox gear wasn't that expensive...I bought it in person at cycle gear because I wanted to try it on, and I don't do the ol' "use the brick and mortar shops service and then screw them out of a fair profit for the added value they provide by ordering what you tried on from someone else online to save ten bucks" routine

yeah, most of it is pretty similar unless super thin/cheap but the key thing to remember is the more "durable" it gets, the heavier and hotter it gets too. especially when soaked in mud.

i think you're better off just wearing what's comfortable and fits well on top but like Mark says, spend the bucks on the under protection. hot pipes and wrecks with jagged shit or prickers in the woods are going to destroy stuff no matter what. jerseys and gloves are pretty disposable. good pants will last if the leather coverage on knees is longer than usual and you don't snag sharp metal.

keep a few fresh sets on hand to spread the wear, even part way through a day, the stuff will last longer (under normal use). i've mentioned i like TLD, there is def a difference between the GP line and SE line. SE is much heavier and more sturdy, pants mostly, but i always go back to the GP for lighter weight. 5th season on my go-to GP set!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Lifer

The secret is to not end up under the bike when you crash it

10 riding days seems a little brief for that kinda damage. Is most of the damage from melting?

Aren't there iron-on cover patches that could be used to salvage some of that?

nedirtriders.com

this is number9 we're talking about... lend him gear, it comes back soaked in blood that's how they do it in Maine.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    IMO, the important key parts like Helmets, boots, and padding (knee/elbow/back, etc) is worth the extra cash and seems more durable. There aren't many pants that won't melt when they touch an exhaust, and most jerseys will rip easily. Jersey and pants are more about look vs protection as far as spending $$ goes
    I have an Alias helmet. It's nice enough, but I think next time around I will spring for something higher-quality. I have Gaerne boots, which need some TLC but offer fantastic protection. I have a Fox Titan chest/arm protector, which is great, and Fox Titan knee/shin guards, which are kinda crappy. I should upgrade those sooner rather than later.

I didn't go too expensive in gear when I started out in case I didn't like dirt riding. Turns out that's not a real concern anymore..

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    I think that Klim stuff is another level as far as money but I've got a set of Fox jersey and pants, pretty sure I'm going on season three with them. No rips and the material is pretty good as far as wicking moisture away while riding.
    I got a used Klim jersey from a friend, but I've never worn it. It definitely feels thicker, maybe I should give it a try? Looking at their prices, it really is next level. You can easily pay $120 for a jersey and over $200 for pants..!

The fox gear wasn't that expensive...I bought it in person at cycle gear because I wanted to try it on, and I don't do the ol' "use the brick and mortar shops service and then screw them out of a fair profit for the added value they provide by ordering what you tried on from someone else online to save ten bucks" routine
    I think I'll try Fox next, and yeah, I'll probably do what you did and get it from a store.

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    yeah, most of it is pretty similar unless super thin/cheap but the key thing to remember is the more "durable" it gets, the heavier and hotter it gets too. especially when soaked in mud.

i think you're better off just wearing what's comfortable and fits well on top but like Mark says, spend the bucks on the under protection. hot pipes and wrecks with jagged shit or prickers in the woods are going to destroy stuff no matter what. jerseys and gloves are pretty disposable. good pants will last if the leather coverage on knees is longer than usual and you don't snag sharp metal.
    I guess I'm more upset that the pants have suffered so easily; jerseys and gloves ripping I suppose I can live with. Luckily it's been a few weeks since a bike has fallen on me with a hot exhaust

keep a few fresh sets on hand to spread the wear, even part way through a day, the stuff will last longer (under normal use). i've mentioned i like TLD, there is def a difference between the GP line and SE line. SE is much heavier and more sturdy, pants mostly, but i always go back to the GP for lighter weight. 5th season on my go-to GP set!
    That's a good point about keeping fresh sets. Do you think TLD is more or less durable than say Fox?

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    The secret is to not end up under the bike when you crash it

10 riding days seems a little brief for that kinda damage. Is most of the damage from melting?

Aren't there iron-on cover patches that could be used to salvage some of that?
    Yeah, most is from melting. That's the joys of the CRF, which has pipes on both sides of the bike!

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    this is number9 we're talking about... lend him gear, it comes back soaked in blood that's how they do it in Maine.
    Haha, that was an awesome day. I still owe you for that!

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Jerseys are pretty much disposable. That said, I find Thor to be a bit better quality than other brands in the price range.

I've had really good luck with overpants rather than regular MX pants, but I don't find myself under the pipe very often so burn holes will likely still be an issue.

If you shop closeout MX gear you will save enough to buy multiple sets, I never buy the current years' "bold new graphics" at the stupid retail prices.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I guess I'm more upset that the pants have suffered so easily; jerseys and gloves ripping I suppose I can live with. Luckily it's been a few weeks since a bike has fallen on me with a hot exhaust
    can you wrap that section of the exhaust with some heat tape? it will be a constant maintenance thing but might help with burns. i've always had the same problem with 4-strokes, burns and melted holes unless there is thick leather protection.

That's a good point about keeping fresh sets. Do you think TLD is more or less durable than say Fox?
    no, most gear at the same price point will be very similar in construction. the more expensive end of the spectrum tends to be thicker unless it's the new 'athletic fit' stuff with less protection and more stretch.

maybe give Klim a try? you can find deals so look around before paying full price. the XC line will be closer to MX style gear. i've only worn the Dakar and Mojave lines but they were built well.

Haha, that was an awesome day. I still owe you for that!
    that was a good day... minus the wrecks and ambulance thing

Beta 200RR

I just got back from a week of riding at Hatfield McCoy. My nice new Klim pants burnt just like the cheap Fox ones. They're nice pants, so I think I'll send them out and have a leather patch sewed where my right leg gets burnt. I tried to wrap the header, but it's one of those fuckin power bombs, and nothing clamps to a cone to well.

I also had some new Gaerne SG12 boots to break in. Really nice, a little creaky but the ankle had just the right amount of flex. These replaced the Tech 8's I bought in '03, so maybe they're the last boots I'll ever buy.

Got some Leatt knee guards too. Very happy with them, but they are a little on the tight side. I was at the top of the range for XL, and should have got XXL because the strap left blisters on my calf. If they don't stretch some I'll have to sew on a piece of velcro to let them out a bit. Or get less fat.

mmm, Hatfield McCoy some day i will twist wrist down there. what bike did you ride? very jealous.

good idea on leather patches, never thought of that for pants but a friend just had boots (Sidi) repaired in an unconventional way with rivets 'n hide. solid now.

on the SG12s, throw a little loctite on the tiny screws, they loosen up all the time but otherwise my boot forever too. curious if the new slimmer toe box is too slim for my slabs.

+1 on the Leatt knee guards, my straps are almost junk but def buying another set. (or try their brace style)

back on the pipe wrap... did you try the fiberglass stuff or the metallic/reflective sticky tape? i've done both, neither stay long on a dirt bike but worked OK. the fiberglass covers better but it's not so great to leave it, can make the metal brittle over time ... soak the tape then wrap slowly, stainless ties wherever they will secure. i'm mixing sumo and dirty experience so not sure i would do this long term. leather patched pants = betterer.

Beta 200RR

Spend it!!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

My older expensive thor pants have big leather panels. Best pants ever. But tjey don't seem to make the good stuff anymore?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

I have a pricey pair of Klim off-road over the boot pants. I managed to tear some of the fabric in the rear and wrecked one of the plastic D-rings used for adjusting the waist in a crash.

My expensive Vanson leathers have slid on the street and aren't any worse for wear.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 06-03-17 at 08:12 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909