Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

finally!

finally!

Getting my winter maintenance done. Got the new knobs mounted, new rear wheel bearings, took a link outta my chain, rebuilt my rear brake caliper. Still having trouble getting the system bled. I need new brake pads, but I had replaced them not too long ago. Bummer.

Bike is still filthy.

I hear people riding around my town, but with this rain, I think it'll be a few weeks before it's not a soup bowl.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Re: finally!

Fun times. I've been ordering stuff like crazy. Got most of my friend's garage cleaned up last night, probably start working on the bikes this week. I've got a new chain and sprockets, tires, air filters, preprinted backgrounds, FMF exhaust, quick-adjust fuel screw, oil change, and general check/grease/tighten everything to do. And the first race is in 2 weeks. This could be tight.....

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Sweet, I cannot wait to get on the bike...my bike is actually ready to go besides a roached rear tire. My bike is waiting on me to friggin heal.

LRRS #399
    MX #505

nice! i am failing badly in Winter Maintenance class gotta carve out some time soon!

Beta 200RR

Just did rear wheel bearing on the KTM and while going over it I snapped the kickstarter bolt off.

It's soaking in PB now. Wish me luck. I'm hoping not to have to remove the side cover.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

I moved it from one side of the basement to the other.

Still has gas in it from the last ride I went on in the fall.

I'll air up the tires and check the oil. Then she's ready to ride, old gas and all.

God damn do I love Honda's

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I'll join you guys (well sort of, since I'm not doing it all myself).

The RM's getting fork seals/bushings replaced, steering head bearing, front & rear wheel bearings, linkage pivot bearing, rear shock bearing, and I'm having the frozen rear brake pin removed so I can put in a clean rotor and new rear brake pads (the current ones are down to the metal).

Then when I get the frame/motor back I'm replacing the current, grooved clutch basket with a new Hinson basket and swapping out the PWM36 with a PWK36, so hopefully it'll idle...

Idling is nice, but I wouldn't invest money in it! If the bike rolls on cleanly from the bottom, then be happy.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Idling is nice, but I wouldn't invest money in it! If the bike rolls on cleanly from the bottom, then be happy.
    I agree, and on the clutch basket as well, if you can file down your old one then do that, better than throwing hundreds of dollars at an older bike..unless ofcourse you plan on keeping it for years.

LRRS #399
    MX #505

hmm...I might not be seeing things clearly

used PWK36 carbs are ~$50-$70 on ebay...and I could also turn around and sell the carb I have for about that much (maybe even more if I make a pretty ad)...not worth it? I really hate that the bike can't idle in the woods (especially when I emergency clutch/brake/stop).

Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post
    I agree, and on the clutch basket as well, if you can file down your old one then do that, better than throwing hundreds of dollars at an older bike..unless ofcourse you plan on keeping it for years.
    yeah...I learned my lesson this time around. So far I've doubled the purchase price and I haven't even peeked into the motor yet

the basket has been filed down in the past and the transmission is getting a beating (almost no slip...the bike gets "slammed" into gear)...I got a new hinson basket on fleabay for ~$100 shipped...too much?

ah I see, no 100 bucks isn't bad at all...especially if it is needed

LRRS #399
    MX #505

So far i've bought the case oil but havn't changed it yet, new airfilter, bought a bunch of plugs and some new gear....thats it.

I still need to do tires, new front brake lever, get the rear shock rebuilt, and inspect the chain and sprockets

...luckily my streetbike really just needs an oil change.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Got the bike started last night. Checked the air filter (it will work for another ride), put air in the tires, lubed the chain, and put the new exhaust on. At least it's a start.......

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    So far i've bought the case oil but havn't changed it yet, new airfilter, bought a bunch of plugs and some new gear....thats it.

I still need to do tires, new front brake lever, get the rear shock rebuilt, and inspect the chain and sprockets

...luckily my streetbike really just needs an oil change.
    Well, just ordered a new rear shock, rear tire, new front brake lever, and a whole mess of gear....should be good to go in a Week.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Looks like I gotta pull the cover and the starter gear, get it into the vise and heat the living fuck out of it.

I'm ready to go!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Ne wpads in today, burped some air outta the MC. Funny, my last set of pads, the outer pad wore at a pretty sharp angle. 5 or more degrees. Strange as the pads don't really have that much freedom to move? There was a heat shield thingy in there carbon and metal layers. Do you guys even run those, or just pad against caliper puck?

Paul

Paul_E_D

Ne wpads in today, burped some air outta the MC. Funny, my last set of pads, the outer pad wore at a pretty sharp angle. 5 or more degrees. Strange as the pads don't really have that much freedom to move? There was a heat shield thingy in there carbon and metal layers. Do you guys even run those, or just pad against caliper puck?

Paul
    Depends on the brand, but the short answer is no, don't bother with the heat shield. Useless.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Yeah, I kinda think the heat shield caused the pad to wear at an angle.

Paul_E_D

Took the 125 out for a little shake down and some practice drills. I realized I have more winter maintenance to do! Head bearings need replacing (I forgot to check them) and I didn't get enough pressure in the rear brake.

Did some standing figure 8s, tight throttle slaloms, sitting figure 8s, and some jumping practice. I'm trying to learn to whip. I can only occasionally get the back to come around. I am getting a little more comfortable with all sorts of take offs though. The dike out here provides SX style ramps, but there's not a lot of distance to be had.

Paul_E_D

Nice. I got the jetting changes made that I wanted and installed the fuel screw. Still need to put the new tires on and a million other little things. Hemonds and MX207 open tomorrow!

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Oh yeah, I put new Kenda Washougals on there. I like them a lot better than the Kenda Millevilles I tried last time. Especially the front is a lot more predictable. I was always sketched by the front milleville sticky.

Paul_E_D

Washougal sticky is waiting to go on the front of my bike, maybe tomorrow.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Goin out again today. Is there any risk in riding with loose steering head bearings? I mean to the bike...

Paul_E_D

Goin out again today. Is there any risk in riding with loose steering head bearings? I mean to the bike...
    can't you tighten it down as hard as you can? I guess you could ovalize it but if you are going to put new bearings and races in then you should be good to go

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Not sure; I'm guessing as long as they're not at the edge of failure there wouldn't be a risk of hurting anything.

Rode yesterday at a friend's track. Felt pretty good aside from some arm pump (I always hold on too tight). Feel WAY better today than I usually feel after the first ride of the year. May ride at another friend's track a little today, definitely need to change the air filter before I do. Who would've thought that the biggest problem with riding in northern NH and VT in the middle of March would be dust?

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast