Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

State Forest Riding Requirments - Massachusetts

State Forest Riding Requirments - Massachusetts

NESR hasn't let me down, yet. Looking to get back into some trail riding and hoping some of youze can help me out? No street riding at all - trailering to where I am going.

Off Highway Vehicle Registration: Looked on Mass.gov site, clarify - do I just need a headlight/ taillight, bill of sale to register for OHV registration?
    Do I need to plate/ inspection sticker it?
    Do I need to title it?

Do I just need an OHV Reg for riding on state permitted land (state forests)?

Any direction is appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: State Forest Riding Requirments - Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by 7470racer View Post
    NESR hasn't let me down, yet. Looking to get back into some trail riding and hoping some of youze can help me out? No street riding at all - trailering to where I am going.

Off Highway Vehicle Registration: Looked on Mass.gov site, clarify - do I just need a headlight/ taillight, bill of sale to register for OHV registration? I wouldn't worry about the lights, the greenies will only be looking for zee papers.
    Do I need to plate/ inspection sticker it? No
    Do I need to title it? No

Do I just need an OHV Reg for riding on state permitted land (state forests)? Yes

Any direction is appreciated.
    You need to get the boat/orv stickers. Which will come with a little registration card (this is to remain with you/the bike).
    To get a sticker, you need to go to one of the few registrys (not dmv) that give out these things. I'm only familiar with the branch in Fall River, so here's how it works: the dcr (I think that's who it is, so I'll just use dcr for instructional purposes) wants to see that you've paid sales tax on said vehicle. Conveniently, the state department of revenue is directly across the hall at the Fall River branch. So, you bring your bill of sale into the dor office (or street reg if it's a plated bike, because that has a line showing you paid sales tax at the dmv) and either pay sales tax to them, or get a slip proving they know you've already paid it (either way, they give you a piece of paper) and walk back across the hall to dcr with that paper and a check for 40$ and they'll give you the boat stickers.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Hopefully gman will chime in with how he made out logistically at the Boston branch.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

What Chip said. I followed his plan and it works. As far as extras? You do not need any headlights/ tail lights, flags, or any of that nonsense.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    What Chip said. I followed his plan and it works. As far as extras? You do not need any headlights/ tail lights, flags, or any of that nonsense.
    Even in state land? This where I am fuzzy.

Yeah, marked woods trails are marked woods trails. I've never seen anybody looking for lights. Named fire roads might be something else if you were planning on just riding those, but as far as the woods loops go, game on.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

ugh...let me find my post

edit - found it:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916
    back in the older days, you only really needed to register the bike if you were riding on state or federal OHV areas. "illegal but tolerated" areas, your own backyard, or MX tracks - don't bother. But within the last few years, the MA orv office found a new way to get revenue from anyone with an ORV vehicle: (I believe that...) As long as you own a dirtbike or ATV (even if it's a bike in a bunch of parts in your basement), and even if you ride it ONLY on your own property, you need to register it. It's retarded. But fortunately they don't have a way of enforcing it.

to read up on "how" to register the bike, just go here:

Boat, OHV and Snowmobile Registration Bureau

here are the steps:

1.) bring your bill of sale
    -OR if you never got one, have a friend make one. If the bike was never registered as an OHV in MA, and you don't have a title, then there's no way for MA to verify who the last registered owner was. So if they don't know, make up a bill of sale for whoever you want.
    -back in my day, there was no formal bill of sale...nowadays they have one on their website: http://www.mass.gov/eea/grants-and-t...aleatvsnow.pdf

2.) pay the sales tax online: https://wfb.dor.state.ma.us/WebFile/...axDefault.aspx

3.) print out the proof that you paid the sales tax (ST-6) from the DOR website above

4.) bring the ST-6, money order or check (no credit cards or cash!!) to the OHV office, fill out a form, and you'll walk out with the ORV stickers to affix to the left fork
    -back in my day, you filled out the application in the office. Nowadays you can download the pdf:
    http://www.mass.gov/eea/grants-and-t...itlingform.pdf

those stickers allow you to ride in any of the 8 state park trail riding areas:

Off-Road Vehicles

and the federal area:

http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/Missio...illageDam.aspx

The state lands close in november and open in may. The federal area is open year round.

the only way that your registration is checked, is when the rangers do periodic and random inspections of bikes in the parking lots

I don't know if it's actually valid, but back in my day those stickers "technically" made it legal to ride on frozen ponds and lakes too...not sure if it's still true

and I believe the registration requirement technically applies to MX tracks too...but as I understand it, nobody actually does it if they just ride mx

other than that, you can ride at the dirt track in winchendon
    that will be $49.99

should make 3 dirty stickies -
    1.) registration info/where to ride (separate posts for each state)
    2.) rides
    3.) "what did you do to your dirtbike today"

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-04-15 at 02:04 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

I tried searching posts, NETRA, Mass.gov again and the internet - nothing is clear.

I just called the DCR, which transferred me to OHV registration, which transferred me to Marine, Snowmobile and ATV (?), which transferred me to enforcement, which transferred me to someone else in enforcement, which transferred me to someone else in enforcement - who couldn't answer my question. "Great question", was exact quote. Pissa.

"Great question" "Thanks bro, I was pretty proud of it myself"

there is nothing else to know except what the current list of legal areas are. as these guys have stated, all you need is an OHV Reg sticker (and bike that isn't obnoxiously loud).

list of spots to come.. .

Beta 200RR

@ op - just follow the steps in my post...I updated most of the links too (minus the hodges website - couldn't find it w' a 30 sec google) & added that they don't accept cash anymore...just check/money order

@ typeone - where else besides these?

does this cover it?

Massachusetts ATV Trails

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-04-15 at 02:15 PM.

a quick 'n dirty repost of MA ride spots

off-road w/ ORV sticker... Freetown SF, Wrentham SF, Franklin SF, Hodges Village Dam, F. Gilbert Hills SF, Tolland SF, Pittsfield SF, October Mt. SF, Beartown SF

----

if you are trying to ride 'state land' with an ORV sticker that isn't on the list above... it's not legal.

----

other options in MA + clubs

motocross closed course, no sticker... Atwoods MX, Capeway Rovers MX, Crow Hill MX, JJs MX Park, MX 365 (maybe?), Rockwood MX, MX338 Southwick, Thunderbowl MX

clubs w/events... New England Trail Riders Assoc., Berkshire Trail Riders, Greylock Riders Motorcycle Club, Hoosac Valley Motorcycle Club, King Philip Trail Riders, Knox Trail Riders, Minuteman Trail Riders, Norumbega Trail Riders, Pilgrim Sands Trail Riders, Springfield Motorcycle Club, Tri-State Trail Riders, Wachusett Valley Riders

Beta 200RR

Nice!!! I think I've found my answer, thanks.

I live real close to Foxboro and Wrentham. Those were my main local destinations. Time and finding a worthwhile ride is my only obstacle now. I have about $1,000 if anyone has any leads. Not looking to sink huge investment, hopefully something a little older, maybe needs a little TLC and solid. Thinking 125 or 250. Rode a KDX 175 back in the day - loved that beast. Since, mostly street/ track for 20+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    @ typeone - where else besides these?

does this cover it?

Massachusetts ATV Trails
    that site has been hit or miss for a while but looks to be pretty up-to-date now. (i think)

Horsepower Hill Farm in Uxbridge is another spot to keep on the radar. private land, small party invitation only but fun trail system. (owned by a JDay racer family)

Beta 200RR

nh plated exc in the classifieds for sixteen hundo??

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...y-rebuilt.html

ring a ding ding ding

I'd buy that...exc is awesome for franklin...

the way the used dirtbike market works is - does it run? then any year b/w 1984-2003 people think it's worth $1,000...and it can be in mint condition or a ragged out POS. don't take the risk, just spend $1,600 and get a bike that has all the work done to it

but if you want to spend less, deals are out there you just gotta you just gotta hunt...I live in socal where people make a living flipping dirt bikes, and I still seem to find deals (2000 yz250 for $800, 2003 YZ450F for $1,000, etc.). But you do take a chance on bikes where you don't know the history...and you might end up spending more when you do all the maintenance/repairs to get it up to snuff.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-04-15 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    nh plated exc in the classifieds for sixteen hundo??

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...y-rebuilt.html

ring a ding ding ding

I'd buy that...exc is awesome for franklin...

the way the used dirtbike market works is - does it run? then any year b/w 1984-2003 people think it's worth $1,000...and it can be in mint condition or a ragged out POS. don't take the risk, just spend $1,600 and get a bike that has all the work done to it

but if you want to spend less, deals are out there you just gotta you just gotta hunt...I live in socal where people make a living flipping dirt bikes, and I still seem to find deals (2000 yz250 for $800, 2003 YZ450F for $1,000, etc.). But you do take a chance on bikes where you don't know the history...and you might end up spending more when you do all the maintenance/repairs to get it up to snuff.
    I hear you. Started off the same as always. "Maybe I can find something $500-800, nothing too much - something to beat on." Reality sets in and what you talked about here. Next thing I am at $1,000 and not seeing sense in spending that much as I may only ride it 4-5 times in the summer. Your point is valid, but I know extra $$ doesn't always = better condition. I am patient and will see what happens. Thanks for your $.02, though. I like that KTM - always a fan.

The apocalypse is here: I got a call back from the Massachusetts Environmental Police.

Very clear and asked several different ways - got the same answer. No lights are required on state permitted forest/ land for OHV use, unless riding at night. The parks close at sunset anyway, so no big deal. No ATV, only two-wheelers. Has to have OHV sticker and reg card on-person. Proper safety equipment (he wasn't very clear on this - but I get it) is necessary. This opens up my options and am positive my wooded excursion would not have the cloud of the EPD around the corner.

Grip it and rip it.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I just looked on CL for you. There are a couple of 2000 YZ 250's on there. The one on Norwell might be worth checking out. JUst stay away from the one in Dedham listed as "dirtbike", that sucker is stolen for sure. ( If anybody is missing an 01~03 YZ250 it's in Dedham)

I have sent e-Mail or text to so many of them all over S. New England. Only a couple have got back to me. Craigslist can be so frustrating.

I just went through registering a few years ago. Paid the sales tax online, then brought proof of this with the bill of sale and $40 (seems this went up since then) to the Environmental Police office in Boston. They gave me stickers to put on both sides of the bike and a registration card that you're supposed to carry with you.

I'm 99% sure that you're also required to have a US Forest approved spark arrestor. Other local riders at that time mentioned that the rangers would ticket for not having one. I bought one just in case and it was $130 for my bike.

I only rode Wrentham and Foxboro. Foxboro is only one loop that is pretty tight and technical if you're into that. Some steep rock climbs and the narrow, rooted trail kept the speeds pretty low and I didn't really have much fun there. Wrentham was pretty decent for legal riding. They had a few different trails/loops. The first time there I followed some guys into some areas that were cool, but I'm not sure they were actually part of the state forest.

I would still like to check out Franklin and I heard Hodges Damn is pretty nice, but I let my registration expire last year since I hadn't ridden dirt for a couple years.

Good luck with your bike search, btw.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by stanga5o; 02-08-15 at 10:43 PM.