Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Franklin on 12/12

Franklin on 12/12

Hit up franklin yesterday, it was fun. Does anyone know if they actually 'close' the place, lock up the parking area or anything? Parking was still available.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Franklin on 12/12

All the mass state forests are closed for the season

Yamaha

define 'closed'?

Quote Originally Posted by gamorg02 View Post
    define 'closed'?
    ORV season ends the end of November. Not legal to ride there while it's closed..and you could jeapardize it being closed for good by riding there in the off season?
    Do you need more definition than that?

Yamaha

Zzzzzzzzing!

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

how about the areas that aren't technically part of the main forest?

if you get caught out there, you're technically not violating the rules of the state forest...but I figure any environmental law enforcement will lump that violation into the same category as grounds for closing the forest off to ORV's

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    ORV season ends the end of November. Not legal to ride there while it's closed..and you could jeapardize it being closed for good by riding there in the off season?
    Do you need more definition than that?
    i follow

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Zzzzzzzzing!
    thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post

if you get caught out there, you're technically not violating the rules of the state forest...but I figure any environmental law enforcement will lump that violation into the same category as grounds for closing the forest off to ORV's

good question. like what if i parked down near beaver st somewhere and just did the railroad lines and the loop from there?

Do you have permission in writing to be on the propertys that aren't technically part of the main forest? If not, you're riding illegally May be tollerated to a point, but not legal.
    One thing to keep in mind when riding in and around the state forests when they are closed to ORV use for whatever reason..the Mass DCR is looking for reasons to close the forests to ORV use, not keep them open.

Make the trip to Hodges, that's open year round unless posted..or get a street plate and head to Pachaug State forest

Yamaha

gamorg's already plated, but I'm getting there...got the tusk kit and DOT tires in the mail

pachaug's open year round?

and gamorg: I'm going to be out of town this weekend, but after Monday I'll have the days free for about a week and a half...do you get some of the weekdays free?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-13-10 at 11:15 PM.

Do you have permission in writing to be on the propertys that aren't technically part of the main forest? If not, you're riding illegally May be tollerated to a point, but not legal.
    One thing to keep in mind when riding in and around the state forests when they are closed to ORV use for whatever reason..the Mass DCR is looking for reasons to close the forests to ORV use, not keep them open.

Make the trip to Hodges, that's open year round unless posted..or get a street plate and head to Pachaug State forest
    didn't realize hodges was, did that once it was pretty fun will have to do it again, thats great its legal year round.

my bike is plated but CT is about 2x as far as hodges, any reason to go there specifically?

gamorg's already plated, but I'm getting there...got the tusk kit and DOT tires in the mail

and gamorg: I'm going to be out of town this weekend, but after Monday I'll have the days free for about a week and a half...do you get some of the weekdays free?
    yea 'plated', we'll use that term loosely hah...

nah i'll be heading home probably around that time, but sometime between the holidays or afterwards i might be available, depends on weather and work. my gear consists of the same thing u saw me riding in in the summer just more layers, haha.

Yup

didn't realize hodges was, did that once it was pretty fun will have to do it again, thats great its legal year round.

my bike is plated but CT is about 2x as far as hodges, any reason to go there specifically?
    There's a 62 mile NETRA loop in Pachaug legal for street registered bikes that takes 4-5 hours depending on pace. It's worth the drive there IMO

Yamaha

Yup

There's a 62 mile NETRA loop in Pachaug legal for street registered bikes that takes 4-5 hours depending on pace. It's worth the drive there IMO
    whats the difficulty level like?

whats the difficulty level like?
    Depends if you ride the entire loop. There are difficult sections for sure (powerline trail and the ledge step-up trail to name the popular ones) but there are ways around them. With a season as dry as we just had, the trails were in great condition. In an average year, the mudholes never dry up...and they create another added challenge. Of the 62 mile loop, there's about 12 miles of public roads connecting the trails.
    I would say an average rider would have a good time on all the trails and not need to skip the hero sections.
    The ledge step-up trails is one of my favorites

Even Supermoto friendly if it's dry

Yamaha

Depends if you ride the entire loop. There are difficult sections for sure (powerline trail and the ledge step-up trail to name the popular ones) but there are ways around them. With a season as dry as we just had, the trails were in great condition. In an average year, the mudholes never dry up...and they create another added challenge. Of the 62 mile loop, there's about 12 miles of public roads connecting the trails.
    I would say an average rider would have a good time on all the trails and not need to skip the hero sections.
    The ledge step-up trails is one of my favorites

Even Supermoto friendly if it's dry

hmm sounds pretty nice, will have to think about it.