Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

franklin vs wrentham

franklin vs wrentham

man just tried wrentham this past weekend. what a blast. so much bigger and more technical than franklin. really enjoyed it.

thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: franklin vs wrentham

never been to either. i aspire to get there someday...now that my trailer is on the road, a bunch of doors just opened. those that have ripped those places, compare to freetown as well. (man loop and parking lot side)

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

I like wrenthem Its big Very technical Not really fast. I go to franklin Cause its easy to get to from Cambridge. If you want REAL technical go to Foxboro on the otherside of route 1 That place is perfect (for a trials bike)

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Quote Originally Posted by gamorg02 View Post
    man just tried wrentham this past weekend. what a blast. so much bigger and more technical than franklin. really enjoyed it.

thoughts?
    How much of Franklin have you gone through? Im planning on riding there this weekend at some point. Either Saturday afternoon or Sunday after F1. Come on out its usually a pretty good time.

James

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK SQUIRREL View Post
    I like wrenthem Its big Very technical Not really fast. I go to franklin Cause its easy to get to from Cambridge. If you want REAL technical go to Foxboro on the otherside of route 1 That place is perfect (for a trials bike)
    hmm dually noted! once i get the XR carb issues figured out I will. right now its tough as off idle the carb sticks a bit, i guess due to the vacuum from the intake pulling the slide. got a spare carb to start swapping parts though. Also need to jet it properly for the snorkle missing (have jets)

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    How much of Franklin have you gone through? Im planning on riding there this weekend at some point. Either Saturday afternoon or Sunday after F1. Come on out its usually a pretty good time.
    saturday i'll be in CT playing rugby so thats out, and dependent on that I may try out franklin sunday. keep me updated which day you're going. i'd love to get the carb (re: above) figured out first though if i have the day off too.

what time were you thinking James?

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    what time were you thinking James?
    Like 2 or 3 on Saturday I have things to do in the morning. Not sure about Sunday. PK said he might want to go in the morning so Ill try and figure out a time.

James

Like 2 or 3 on Saturday I have things to do in the morning. Not sure about Sunday. PK said he might want to go in the morning so Ill try and figure out a time.
    ok, just post up and I'll likely join ya

Wirelessly posted (TELECA-/2.0 (BREW 3.1.5; U; EN-US; SAMSUNG; SPH-M810; Teleca/Q05A/INT) MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916
    ok, just post up and I'll likely join ya
    I can meet you at the water tower at 3 if you want to ride. Still not sure on a time for sunday

James

Saturday/3/water tower sounds good

I'll be on the bike that works (the XR)

what a fuckin blast. I'm still slow as all hell, and I was exhausted after only 1 short loop of the main forest, but man do I love getting in 3rd (and sometimes 4th) gear, standing up, weaving side to side to find the best line, and just bouncing over the rocky/rooted terrain at Franklin.

James left me in the dust but lead the way today on the CRF250. Thanks for waiting at intersections man

we did the main forest and the beaver pond loop, then I took a quick solo run to snap some trail photos...and ended up just riding for another hour before going home. Surprisingly, towards the end of the day, I enjoyed just cruising down the roads in 2nd gear, seated the whole time, and just enjoying the scenery.

I only ate it once

Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-01-10 at 01:56 AM.

what a fuckin blast. I'm still slow as all hell, and I was exhausted after only 1 short loop of the main forest, but man do I love getting in 3rd (and sometimes 4th) gear, standing up, weaving side to side to find the best line, and just bouncing over the rocky/rooted terrain at Franklin.

James left me in the dust but lead the way today on the CRF250. Thanks for waiting at intersections man

we did the main forest and the beaver pond loop, then I took a quick solo run to snap some trail photos...and ended up just riding for another hour before going home. Surprisingly, towards the end of the day, I enjoyed just cruising down the roads in 2nd gear, seated the whole time, and just enjoying the scenery.

I only ate it once
    looks like a blast guys! i know that rock in the last one. how do u get to the beaver pond loop?

man wish i coulda been there but too beat up from rugby. spent all day trying to jet my xr250. i'm getting pretty frustrated with it, anyone want to help?

Wrentham State forest sucks... Everyone keep away -
    and don't take the tunnel connector that goes under 495 to other trails....
    Lots of ledge with big steps everywhere...

I live in Wrentham :-)......

Seriously, if you go there don't use open pipes, don't let anyone going with you use loud pipes (houses on every side) - this will get the place off limits real quick -
    Also if your bike is not off road registered it will be impounded.

have fun

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

looks like a blast guys! i know that rock in the last one. how do u get to the beaver pond loop?

man wish i coulda been there but too beat up from rugby. spent all day trying to jet my xr250. i'm getting pretty frustrated with it, anyone want to help?
    not sure I can help...I don't know a whole lot about fine tuning, and my XR stalls if I go WOT, off-idle. And while I know the 2-smoke carb in and out, I'm not sure I can do much more than clean and change the needle position and swap jets on a 4-stroke carb

what do you mean by, "the slide sticks a bit"?

I also don't know how to get to the beaver pond loop...I could probably guess though...you want me to show ya sometime this week?

Quote Originally Posted by xsiliconkid View Post
    and don't take the tunnel connector that goes under 495 to other trails....
    Lots of ledge with big steps everywhere..
    in Franklin or is that in Wrentham?

also, how could you live so close and not be out there?? come join us!

not sure I can help...I don't know a whole lot about fine tuning, and my XR stalls if I go WOT, off-idle. And while I know the 2-smoke carb in and out, I'm not sure I can do much more than clean and change the needle position and swap jets on a 4-stroke carb
    yea i can do all that but having a hard time determining which way to go with the needle/jets etc. the slow jet was easy. i kept turning the fuel screw out and it kept liking it more, obviously needed a bigger jet. the mid/WOT is bugger. only at mid/high rpms too. wot off idle works.
    what do you mean by, "the slide sticks a bit"?
    there is a known issue where the slide gets used so much i guess it sort of wears in and sticks to the intake side and it takes more pull that usual to get the slide to go back on track. fixed that issue though...
    I also don't know how to get to the beaver pond loop...I could probably guess though...you want me to show ya sometime this week?
    yea looks pretty easy. just take beaver st or whatever there to the pond eh? or take the tracks down and around

yea i can do all that but having a hard time determining which way to go with the needle/jets etc. the slow jet was easy. i kept turning the fuel screw out and it kept liking it more, obviously needed a bigger jet. the mid/WOT is bugger. only at mid/high rpms too. wot off idle works.
    oops...maybe I don't anything about carbs!

I thought: adding pods = less restriction for intake = more air = add bigger size jet to compensate for increased air and supply more gas to get correct air/fuel ratio

I always thought turning the fuel screw out leaned out the air/fuel mixture...but I think it's reversed on some carbs. But yes, you should need a bigger pilot jet for the low end because you're getting more air regardless.

so for mid throttle: what's the response like? changing the needle position can help here

and at WOT throttle: what's the response like? changing the main jet will help here. If it's anything like a 2-stroke, then doing a WOT throttle run in a high gear with a fresh plug will give you an indication how the main jet should be jetted: if black, it's too rich and so forth.

did you adjust the float height properly, is the engine (top/bottom end) in good shape, how's your air filter, is the oil relatively fresh, and what color is the plug when you pull it?

oops...maybe I don't anything about carbs!

I thought: adding pods = less restriction for intake = more air = add bigger size jet to compensate for increased air and supply more gas to get correct air/fuel ratio

I always thought turning the fuel screw out leaned out the air/fuel mixture...but I think it's reversed on some carbs. But yes, you should need a bigger pilot jet for the low end because you're getting more air regardless.

i'm 99% sure these carbs, unscrewing the pilot screw is more fuel. so i agree with you that since the snorkel is removed, it needs more fuel as well

so for mid throttle: what's the response like? changing the needle position can help here

changed the needle from midway to all the way rich. didn't seem to help too much. i MIGHT be running lean at idle (fixed) but rich up top. ran out of daylight and patience to take the damn slide apart again but want to try the leanest setting too. at low rpms, middle throttle openings are good. at higher rpms or even some midrange it just goes pop pop pop. not necessarily a lean pop but like its stumbling...

and at WOT throttle: what's the response like? changing the main jet will help here. If it's anything like a 2-stroke, then doing a WOT throttle run in a high gear with a fresh plug will give you an indication how the main jet should be jetted: if black, it's too rich and so forth.

WOT, its the same thing as midrange, except after a few seconds it takes off. thinking maybe it was too fat and it was clearing the gas out....

ah yes, i want to do a plug reading but its a pain in the ass to pull to be honest and i thought i could do it by feel....

did you adjust the float height properly, is the engine (top/bottom end) in good shape, how's your air filter, is the oil relatively fresh, and what color is the plug when you pull it?

valves are adjusted, air filter brand new along with oil and filter. once again def need to pull the plug again. i should probalby do a compression test on her soon too. i jus tdon't think its engine b/c i can get the symptoms to move a bit depending on jetting.

i'd love some help sometime if you'd wanna give a hand. i live on a cul-de-sac with powerlines at the end so testing is easy, just making the changes def go quicker with someone who knows their shit (or at least pretends) and an extra set of hands. there would be beer involved as well for payment! hah

You wouldn't think jetting would be this hard. i just got done with my vmax and that wasn't bad. however i did have her on a dyno so we'd just run her, then i'd make the changes based on the a/f curve, which did eliminate the guesswork.

post above.

yeah, I'll come over...can't guarantee that I'll help, but I can drink beer!

when were you thinking? unless I get an last minute call-in for work, I have the next 3 days off

yeah, I'll come over...can't guarantee that I'll help, but I can drink beer!

when were you thinking? unless I get an last minute call-in for work, I have the next 3 days off
    well name your brand and i'll have some cold ones waiting

ideally, probably tonight, but if not maybe tomorrow night? then i got shit going on until sunday or so. hoping to get this figured out soon otherwise i may start looking into another dirtbike heh

oh man tried jetting again tonight. its almost popping like its lean but the plug is reading rich. def at my wits end....

tried 3 different mains and 3 different needle positions.

hmm...interesting...when you say "popping", do you mean backfiring popping, or a sharp popping noise when it's accelerating?

and how's the roll off under WOT to higher rpms's?

sharp popping noise. def not backfiring i don't think.

needle range is still shitty too. when i first fired it up today it was the best it had been, but still not great.

plug is reading rich, but the symptoms still sound lean to me. maybe pick up a new plug before i attempt again. you have any spare jets?

tried with varrying levels of gafers tape over the airbox inlet, to mimick a stock setup with stock jetting and its still similar to before. makes me wonder if there isn't something else going on. couldn't do a compression test as i said, and the decompress lever wasn't adjusting right from what i could tlel, so maybe that is playing a roll. but the low-mid range is just great, which makes me think if it was top end (as far as the engine) it would show at least slightly down there in that throttle/rpm range.

Last edited by gamorg02; 08-03-10 at 09:25 PM.

in Franklin or is that in Wrentham?

also, how could you live so close and not be out there?? come join us!
    I am at the race track for 10 days :-0

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

sharp popping noise. def not backfiring i don't think.

needle range is still shitty too. when i first fired it up today it was the best it had been, but still not great.

plug is reading rich, but the symptoms still sound lean to me. maybe pick up a new plug before i attempt again. you have any spare jets?

tried with varrying levels of gafers tape over the airbox inlet, to mimick a stock setup with stock jetting and its still similar to before. makes me wonder if there isn't something else going on. couldn't do a compression test as i said, and the decompress lever wasn't adjusting right from what i could tlel, so maybe that is playing a roll. but the low-mid range is just great, which makes me think if it was top end (as far as the engine) it would show at least slightly down there in that throttle/rpm range.
    check the exhaust flange carefully - where the exhaust pipe seats into the head.... make sure there is a tight fit/change the gasket.... this is a very common problem - air leaks in on the cam overalp and causes all sorts of strange tuning issues.

Last edited by xsiliconkid; 08-04-10 at 09:14 AM.
    Graham

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast