Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Gypsy Moth Enduro

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

Gypsy Moth Enduro

On Sunday 10/16 the Gypsy Moth Enduro will be held in Deep River CT. This a great first enduro. Sixty plus miles of easy trails, with only a few short challenging sections. This is what's known as a time keeping enduro. I will be bringing several friends for their first time and if any one is interested, I can help you get started. You will need a road registrered dirt bike, most guys use mildly converted CR's, YZ's, and KX's, etc. Call me for a definition of road legal...... You will need a valid M/C driver's license, head light, tail light, and spark arrester. I used a YZ 426 with a strap on head light ( honest it worked when I started the race!!!!) and a tail light ( lens....). It's one of the best first time enderos on the schedule.

www.netra.org has more info.
    I willbe riding with some friends teaching timekeeping and how to ride an enduro. We can do a short seminar the week before and I can get you all the parts and info you need. Call or shoot me an email me for more info

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

Gypsy Moth Enduro

I'll be there, just did the Tri-State TR last weekend. Front forks are sweet , three clics on the rearshock rebound and bike is working great.

Kevin

Gypsy Moth Enduro

Peter,

The GM enduro has been rescheduled, and if you're still doing it and the offer still stands, I would like to take you up on it. I've read up a bit on enduro time keeping, but it would be great if someone in the know could help me get started.

A question: I have a choice of a <230lbs two-stroke, or a >300lbs thumper. Both street-legal and registered in MA. Any reason why I shouldn't ride the thumper?
    --
    Ilya

Gypsy Moth Enduro

What kind of bikes, most enduros aren't dualsport friendly.

Gypsy Moth Enduro

Originally posted by KevinB
    What kind of bikes, most enduros aren't dualsport friendly.
    The two-stroke is a '99 ATK 260LQ. Actually, I think I got my answer about which bike to use. If the good stuff that we just did today at Beartown forest is reminiscent of the kinds of trails an Enduro is likely to run, I'm taking the ATK. It may not have an E-start, but at least I can lift it over my head in a pinch and carry it over a mud bog.

The other bike is a KTM 400R/XCe, and I could cerainly do those kinds of trails on it - just not at the same pace.

So, is anybody going on the 20th that I could tag along with. I may just need a few questions answered to get me going, and then I'll slowpoke it at my own pace. I'm easy going and bring my own tools. Pretty please?
    --
    Ilya
    LRRS #760

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

Gypsy Moth Enduro

I am taking my son to teh Pats game, so I won't make it, but here are the time keeping basics.

1) Set you watch to "Keytime" It should read the same as as the keytime watch to the second.
    2) To calculate your time remember this formula; RRW.... Row number + Route sheet = Watch. you simply take your row number (also called your minute) and add it to the time shown on the route sheet. If you are on time it will equal your watch, if you're late it will be higher, if you're early it will be lower.

For teh most part you can "Slime time" by asking some one with a computer what minute they are on. If they are not in your class usually they will let you follow to the next trail When you're in the woods just go as fast as you can, don't even look at the clock. Check your time at every reset, and any turn on a road section. beyond that just have fun and if you burn a check....so what...

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

Gypsy Moth Enduro

I'd take the KTM 400, not sure what year it is, but I think 4 strokes are easier to ride, and easier on the body. I'll be on CRF 250X. Not sure who I'm traveling with as of yet, but I'll try and give you some pointers to get you started. You should have Hand Guards(metal type), Route Sheet Holder and your protective gear.

Kevin

Gypsy Moth Enduro

Originally posted by KevinB
    I'd take the KTM 400, not sure what year it is, but I think 4 strokes are easier to ride, and easier on the body. I'll be on CRF 250X. Not sure who I'm traveling with as of yet, but I'll try and give you some pointers to get you started. You should have Hand Guards(metal type), Route Sheet Holder and your protective gear.

Kevin
    Kevin,

Please, don't take this as my ignoring your advise, but the KTM RXC is of the heavy LC4 dualsport variety, and can be a handful on muddy and rocky trails. It has about 30% less road clearance and weighs 30% more than the ATK (not exact numbers - just a guess). For example, I don't think I would have had the stamina to have pushed through even the first section of the back door to hell ride had I been on the RXC.

I have the sturdier plastic ACERBIS handguards on the ATK, have a road book holder and wouldn't ride in my neighbor's back yard without full protective gear (and a bulletproof vest.)

BTW, I seem to know quite a few people posting on this site, but I don't believe we've met. Any way I can locate you once in Deep River?
    --
    Ilya

Gypsy Moth Enduro

I agree with your choice of bikes, knowing more about your KTM, enduros aren't dual sport friendly. I think 4 stroke 450s are the bike choice for this type of riding. I'll either be in my van or in riding style in a friends new F350 towing a Triton trailer. I'll have a better idea later in the week.

Kevin

Gypsy Moth Enduro

Ilya

How was your first enduro?You passed me right before the exit ramp for Deep River, white electrical van. That was the hardest one I've done this season. There were a lot of tough, rocky ledges climbs that gave me alot of trouble.
    I managed to ride the whole thing, but I houred out before CK#11.
    Pete, must be smoking something, that was not a course for first timers.

Kevin

Last edited by KevinB; 11-21-05 at 09:50 AM.

Gypsy Moth Enduro

Kevin,

Kudos to you for doing the whole route. I didn't even manage to get through the first 20 miles. It took me a few hours to gather back enough strength to be able to puke. IOW, I had tons of fun, and have discovered a new standard for fitness, which I now will have to try to achieve.

Cheers!
    --
    Ilya "more humble than ever" Kriveshko