Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

All healed up

All healed up

So I am trying to get back into riding now that my shoulder is healed up and feeling better. Unfortunitly the kdx is not wanting to start now. I am a little confused by this as it ran perfect before said get off back in june. I checked the air filter and it was filthy so I cleaned it up and put a new plug in it. I have spark and the plug is getting wet with fuel, bike has compression. After spraying some carb clean down the cylinder it spark to life for a second or 2 and simply died again. I am wondering if I am maybe not getting enough fuel through the carb to keep it running. Anyone have any ideas? I am dying to go riding again.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: All healed up

That is what it sounds like. Along with needing a plug cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bgcj5 View Post
    So I am trying to get back into riding now that my shoulder is healed up and feeling better. Unfortunitly the kdx is not wanting to start now. I am a little confused by this as it ran perfect before said get off back in june. I checked the air filter and it was filthy so I cleaned it up and put a new plug in it. I have spark and the plug is getting wet with fuel, bike has compression. After spraying some carb clean down the cylinder it spark to life for a second or 2 and simply died again. I am wondering if I am maybe not getting enough fuel through the carb to keep it running. Anyone have any ideas? I am dying to go riding again.
    ethanol gummed up the carb, pull it and clean it.

1 trick to try first that usualy works on my wifes klx250s ( but thats a 4 stroke ) is to shut off the fuel , drain the float bowl (usually a small allen screw near the bottom of the carb ) then turn the fuel back on and try to fire it up .

all you need is fuel , spark and air , and if you say that the air filter is clean and the spark is good that only leaves 1 other thing .
    so its either stale fuel in teh float bowl or gummed up carb jets

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Spark is there because it does fire when primed. So it is a fuel issue. So how do you find the culprit. Easiest things first. Gas in tank? Petcock on? Pull fuel supply line off and open petcock. Is fuel flowing? Now drain the gas and put a gallon of new gas in tank. Drain bowl(s). Reattempt to start. Still no go? With bowl(s) off lift the float(s). Does fuel flow? No? Remove carb(s) and clean throughly.

Is a kdx a single? Good if so. Very easy then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Is a kdx a single? Good if so. Very easy then.
    yup

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Clean the pilot jets and go.

Paul_E_D

did you try roll starting it?

haha Im finally hitting the track for the first time inawhile after the motorcycle crash

we'll see how it goes tuesday, anyone else going to be at crowhill ?

The guys are right, pull your pilot jet and clean it, its blocked. Don't spray carb cleaner or starting fluid into the carb trying to start it, unless you want to replace the topend. I had a first this week with blocked pilots. Brand new husqvarna TXC250 with a blocked pilot right out of the crate. I was kind of surprised about that. Tim

Alright you guys were right the carb was filled with crud. I disassembled everything and cleaned it all up. Bike is running better than it ever has. Anyone up for some easy riding to get me back into the swig of things?