Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help me decide!

New 500 EXC

I've been looking at the KTM 690 Enduro-R for a while and now that the finances are where they need to be, I simply can't find one. I get the same story from every dealer. We don't have any and don't know when we will. As a result, I've started entertaining the 500 EXC as an alternative which is readily available. It's at least 50lbs lighter, only marginally less powerful than the 690, is higher off the ground, and has more travel in the suspension. My concerns focus around the maintenance of the high strung engine. Does anyone have any experience with servicing them? I'm confident in my ability to fix anything but I don't want to buy a bike that's going to require constant repairs.

It's taken me a long time to consider something other than the 690 but KTM doesn't seem to want to sell me one.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 04-07-13 at 08:05 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Re: Help me decide!

Well I decided on my own and put the money down on a 2013 KTM 500 EXC. It's currently being resprung to handle my weight, aluminum hand guards and a skid plate are being installed, the evap system is being removed, and it will be reprogrammed with the XC-W's map to fix the lean fueling. I should be able to pick it up next week!

It's been a long time since I've had a dirty toy and I can't wait to start trail riding again. The fact that it's street legal is an added bonus.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Your decision is null and void because NESR did not recommend a 'Bussa before you made your decision. Regardless, the bike sounds awesome. I just found a KTM dealer near me... I still need a new street bike, but there are some amazing tracks and trail riding spots around here... Anyway, pics, or it didn't happen!

I just saw this now. If its a trail bike you're looking for, you'll be MUCH happier with the 500 than the 690. If its something you wanted to ride across the country, you better get some vibration dampening stuff.

The "maintenance whore" thing is a bit of a myth. Those motors demand a frequent oil change and air filter cleaning like...you guessed it...every other mx type 4t, and I have heard of zero people complaining about the shim/bucket valve train. Get on ktmtalk and lurk a bunch in the forum for that gen motor. Enjoy.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by mrezra View Post
    Your decision is null and void because NESR did not recommend a 'Bussa before you made your decision... Anyway, pics, or it didn't happen!
    I already have something more powerful than the Busa and I'm certainly not getting rid of it! I'll have pics as soon as I pick it up. If all goes well it will be this Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I just saw this now. If its a trail bike you're looking for, you'll be MUCH happier with the 500 than the 690. If its something you wanted to ride across the country, you better get some vibration dampening stuff.

The "maintenance whore" thing is a bit of a myth. Those motors demand a frequent oil change and air filter cleaning like...you guessed it...every other mx type 4t, and I have heard of zero people complaining about the shim/bucket valve train. Get on ktmtalk and lurk a bunch in the forum for that gen motor. Enjoy.
    A dirt focused dual sport with road legs is what I was initially after and the 690 would have filled that spot perfectly. Try as I might, I could not find a new one around here. The dealership I've been working with said their KTM Rep didn't have any and had no idea when or if they would. Once I accepted that I wouldn't be able to get one, I started looking at the 500 much more closely and really liked what it offered. On road manners are definitely not as good as the 690 but in exchange I get a big step up in off road performance.

That's true. If you want road manners, I'd start with the seat, then tires. Knobs can be fine if balanced.
    I ran my lc4 up and down the highway no probs on a 606 front and 908 rear, I just had to get some wheel weights to get it close to balance.

Like I said, keep the oil fresh, the air filter clean, and it should last forever.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

The bike will be ready to go on Monday but a business trip for work means I can't pick it up until Friday. On the upside, my wife will register it and pick up plates while I'm gone so I'll be able to play as soon as I get it home.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Congrats, I put a deposit last week on a 500 EXC and should have it early next week. There is a 690 in CT at Manchester Honda KTM if you change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    There is a 690 in CT at Manchester Honda KTM if you change your mind.
    I knew one would pop up after I committed to the 500!

That thing looks sweet. Congrats

+1 congrats! lotta shiny new Pumpkins popping up on here.

Beta 200RR

I have the 450EXC and love it...

but I am not so sure the 690 was really in the same class of bike? I think they are designed with two completely different focus in mind.

Personally, I hate my bike on the street (other than a couple of miles if I have to link up some trails). But I love it once the pavement ends.

Enjoy! Hope it ends up being the type of bike you wanted.

Help me decide!-bike1-jpg

Last edited by TTD; 04-02-13 at 08:06 AM.
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

I finally got it home this weekend and was able to put some hours on it in all kinds of terrain. It's been several years since I've been active in dirt riding and I never had anything even remotely approaching the height of the new KTM so I was cautious when I first set out.

Saturday I rode it over to the Fremont end of the Rockingham Recreational Rail Trail. While it's plenty quick on the street, the knobbies make for a pretty harsh ride when you keep your ass on the seat. When I started down the trail, I kept the speeds pretty slow since my mind didn't like the feeling of the bike moving all around underneath me. This initial trip made me feel like a complete noob on 2 wheels which is a feeling I haven't had since I was little. I quite liked it!

The end of the OHRV section of the trail ends at Rt. 28 in Derry. The looks I got as I cruised by nearly a dozen people and took off down 28 was priceless! I hadn't gone more than a tenth of a mile when I realized I was right next to Seacoast Cycle in Derry so I stopped in to browse.

Leaving Seacoast, I headed back up the trail but this time I forced myself push the bike harder and trust the tires. I was able to maintain significantly higher speeds and this is where the bike really shined. It was absorbing ruts, bumps, and mud like they weren't even there. I'm still breaking in the engine so I'm not hammering it yet but it lifts with partial throttle in the first three gears in loose gravel. The trip back on the trail went a long way towards getting me comfortable on the bike.

After leaving the rail trail I headed back towards Raymond NH and decided to test it out on the highway from exit 6 to 5 on Rt. 101. The bike has no problem maintaining highway speeds but the unbalanced knobbies had the bike shaking so much that I pretty much couldn't see a thing until I got off at exit 5. I won't be doing that again with dirt tires but I'm happy to know that it won't have any problems hanging in traffic on the highway once I get 17" wheels and street tires for it.

Today (Sunday) I took it on a lap around my town to heat up the engine before I did the first oil change. I ended up hitting a couple of class VI roads along the way which put me through some serious terrain including rocks, snow, ice, deep mud, and deep water. I was impressed at how easily it made it through the obstacles especially a couple mud/water holes that where my front axel was submerged. Just stay on the power and it motors right through without much fanfare!

The front of the bike still looks fairly clean because my legs, ass, and torso blocked the mud from coming forward!

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    Enjoy! Hope it ends up being the type of bike you wanted.
    I still would love something along the lines of the 690 but I'm completely thrilled with 500. I wasn't originally shopping for a high end off roader but I have no regrets so far.

Lifer

Man, that thing looks like fun!

I'm loving mine too. Did same type of mud, rocks and ruts Sunday. Bike soaked up everything I threw at it.

Lifer

So.. how's this thing treating you? How's the maintenance thing playing out?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Just do it. You won't regret it.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

It's awesome to the point where I've been neglecting my street bikes. 250ish pounds and just shy of 60HP is a hoot to say the least. Maintenance so far has been very easy. Everything on the bike is designed with service in mind which makes it a pleasure to work on. The piston change interval would probably be coming up some time next year for me but I plan on running it longer since I'm not using it as a race bike.

Knowing what I know now, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Lifer

Makes the 690 an easy pass? Or a 2-smoke like the 300?

250 lbs x 60 HP is better than a DRZ on both counts.
    Shame about the cost.

Wait, wait.. piston change interval?!

A 300 is not a dualsport.
    Ask me how I know.

Yeah, motor internals, they get replaced sometimes.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

A 300 is not a dualsport.
    Sounds like the 500 isn't either. Sounds like the 500 is a 4-stroke version of the 300. ... Or something.

What's KTM's DRZ killer? Don't tell me, don't tell me.. any KTM is a DRZ killer.

I wouldn't call it an easy pass. The 690 and 500 overlap in just about everything they do but in the end, the 690 is better on the road and the 500 is better on the trails.

If you intend to put lots of miles on it around dirt roads and some of the more abusive class VI roads, the 690 Enduro is the better machine. It's heavier, has more torque, doesn't sit as high, has better highway gearing, pretty sure it has a cush drive, passenger pegs, longer maintenance intervals, etc. I even think the new one has ABS which can be shut off. Tight single track is not what it was designed for but it will still go just about anywhere.

The 500 EXC is basically KTM's big bore 4T racing enduro (500 XC-W) with headlights, blinkers, horn, and some emission control equipment to make it 50 state legal. It's a dirt bike with enough horsepower to be an effective dual-sport. The first 4 gears are pretty low and close ratio and cover just about any woods environment you would run into. 2nd and 3rd are what I use most often in the woods with 1st for crawling. 5th is good for bombing around local roads at reasonable speeds and 6th is a highway gear good for a little over 100MPH with the stock sprockets. The seat works for the woods but is uncomfortable for any long term street use.

Sounds like the 500 isn't either. Sounds like the 500 is a 4-stroke version of the 300. ... Or something.

What's KTM's DRZ killer? Don't tell me, don't tell me.. any KTM is a DRZ killer.
    Are you saying that just because there's a factory piston change recommendation?
    You've been reading too much "ktm's are maintenance whores" and the likes from adv, if so.

To answer your ?, the 500 is the next step beyond a drz (an all arounder for light street/trail use). Except the 500 is likely better at just about everything except keeping money in your pocket. For sure it's a better bike in just about every aspect.
    The 690 is more of a back country traveler IMO. Or more of a Swiss Army knife bike, one motorcycle to sort of rule them all. Ie: not enough room in the garage for a street bike, a dirt bike, and a klr

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

Are you saying that just because there's a factory piston change recommendation?
    This. I haven't read the adv threads. I'm not sure I care to.

I think I need to demo a 690 Enduro someday.

Well, I tripled my factory service projection on the 300. Lots of people do.

I'm not 100% on the latest gen 4ts, but the rfs was ridiculously rock solid as a trail bike.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast