Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Can anyone help me with registering my dirt bike in MA? Need opinions.

Can anyone help me with registering my dirt bike in MA? Need opinions.

Hi Guys,

I recently just bought a new to me well used 2008 Ktm 250XC. (2 stroke). Its my first dirt bike...but have been riding street bikes and atc's and atv's for most of my life. Been slowly trying to fix this up, as it seems she was always put away wet and dirty, and normal maintenance was never done. It runs good though, just looks crappy, and all bearings need to be replaced. (working on that now)

My riding buddy has a Ktm 450 that is street legal. He keeps on telling me to just get a plate for my bike, Does having it on the road (without having a valid inspection sticker) better that just registering it for off road use? Or do you need to have both, offroad registered and street legal plate on enduro bike in massachusetts?

I dont have lights, directional, all that fun jazz on my bike, nor do I want them. Thats what my motorcycle is for. I would just like to not be hassled if I have to ride down the road a bit from trail to trail. So does having a street legal plate trump being registered for off road use?

Next question. I have the original Certificate of Origin....but its been signed a bunch of times on the back. Is this useless as far as trying to get a title from it? (im like the fifth owner)

Im trying to figure out my best plan of action. I wont be taking trips to work, or the store on this thing. But there are a lot of trails i ride that i need to ride down, and across some streets to get to the next one.

If my Certificate if origin is no good to help me get a title, can someone PM me details on what to do? I have a brother in law who lives in NH,heard I could sell it to him, and have him get it street registered there, and then I buy it back from him.???

Just looking for some advice. Ive been riding street bikes for almost 20 years, but feel like a pussy on my dirt bike. LOL. I also realized Im no longer as fearless as I once was.

Thanks
    Jay

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Can anyone help me with registering my dirt bike in MA? Need opinions.

If you want to ride it on the street you will need to make it street legal.

If you don't want to make it street legal you will be riding on the street at your own risk.

If you decide to make it street legal we can approach registration options. If you decide not to make it street legal, no reason to discuss street registration.

My plan was / is to ride it on the street for the short sections in between trails (like 300 feet or so) I would like to get a title, and get it on the road as it seems like it adds to the value of the bike. (at least when I was looking, anything with a title was alot more money)

I guess what I am asking is there anyone in Mass, that has it street legal, but not inspected? I dont see the benefit to putting lights, blinkers, horn, mirrors..etc etc that Mass wants you to do.... for just 300 feet at most of in between trail riding...and in the off chance that a cop sees me, at least I would have a plate.

If you are street registered, is that fine for going offroad too?

Thanks for the help.

Jay

Yeah... if you are not going to put lights, directionals, etc.... then no need to get street plate. You cannot get it inspected so you won't really be legal on the street anyway.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Technically, you need the off road mass registration now also ... but that really only applies for the legal off road areas.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

If you want to ride it on the street, it needs to be street legal. Street legal includes registered and inspected. The benefits of putting things like lights on it are that it contributes to it being street legal.

If you want to ride it on the street "a little bit" do so at your own risk. Legally it is required to be registered and inspected. As Tony mentioned, you are also required to have an off road registration.

If you are Street registratered, that has nothing to do with being trail registered. You need to do both if you want to ride both streets and trails.

Due to the states tie in of all computers, even if you did title and register it, they would know whether it was insured and inspected from running the plate number. So its either all the way or nothing. Now when I say all the way there are very easy ways to tuck in turn signals, swing away mirror(s), horn and alot of choices of street legal knobbies. All of this comes with a cost. But it also comes with a benefit of the increased value and everywhere ride-ability. I can tell you from experience, when you pull out onto the road from a trail and don't have to look over your shoulder for the cops it sure is nice.

Thayer

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    My plan was / is to ride it on the street for the short sections in between trails (like 300 feet or so) I would like to get a title, and get it on the road as it seems like it adds to the value of the bike. (at least when I was looking, anything with a title was alot more money)

I guess what I am asking is there anyone in Mass, that has it street legal, but not inspected? I dont see the benefit to putting lights, blinkers, horn, mirrors..etc etc that Mass wants you to do.... for just 300 feet at most of in between trail riding...and in the off chance that a cop sees me, at least I would have a plate.

If you are street registered, is that fine for going offroad too?

Thanks for the help.

Jay

Me. My 300xc is plated. With just the oem headlight, and a taillight with brake lite.
    It's just enough for enduros. Is it legal, technically no. Do I accept the risk? Yes.
    I also don't use it to commute with. Like you said, just for skipping from trail to trail.
    Also, if that's all you're planning to use it for, don't bother with dot tires either.

Edit: you'll see almost every bike is set up like this at a netra enduro. Head/tail/brake and that's it.
    There are one, maybe 2 bikes with the full dot light requirement.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 09-28-14 at 12:27 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

If you're really only going 300ft, It seems silly to worry about it. If you plan to ride some more and want to street reg it get a light and brake light. My 250 is like chips. It's street registered, plated and insured but not inspected. If a cop sees you on the street without even a brake light he is probably going to still pull you over.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

don't bother...too much money for 300ft...just runnnnnnn!!!!!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

Somewhere on a MA RMV site is the detailed manual on exactly what is inspected during a safety check. I've flipped through it once, but I couldn't find it for you right now. Anyway, I thought street bikes don't require turn signals because they can use hand signals, only need one mirror (left side), and I think a bicycle horn bolted to the handlebar will count. Visible smoke from the exhaust I think is a failure point, but I think that's subject to the inspector to decide if what you have counts. Same with exhaust noise.

In other words, a headlight and tail light kit, a bar-end mirror, and a mildly friendly shop might be all you need to be legal-ish for quick rides to the trail. I'd expect scrutiny if you wanted to daily-ride this setup, but that also greatly depends on the town's level of enforcement on this type of stuff.

nedirtriders.com

Vermont

get insurance no insurance is a misdemeanor in some states
    hang some lights and signals..... cost me about 175 from Amazon

fill out forms pay tax or proof of tax they mail you a plate

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Vt or SD.....

You want a plate if you ever want to try a NETRA event, like the Turkey Runs.

Quote Originally Posted by B440 View Post
    You want a plate if you ever want to try a NETRA event, like the Turkey Runs.

Hare scrambles do not require a plate. Turkey mike runs and enduros do.
    The hvd/Jack Frost does not require it either, just the mass off-road stickers.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

True, but it's his 1st dirt bike. I don't think he wants to dive into Hare Scrambles head first. A Turkey Run would be more appropriate.

Sportsman class?

Eventually any of the above would be appropriate. Re-reading the first post, homie needs some seat time first, before diving into anything other than a nervous novice or the Jack Frost that has different skill level loops. .02 and shit.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet