Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hey, Paulie D, you bought too soon - New Hatfield Beta dealer

Hey, Paulie D, you bought too soon - New Hatfield Beta dealer

Awesome news.. .

Newest Beta Delear in New England Motoworx/Racetech

Motoworx/Race Tech would like to announce some exciting news. We have signed on with Beta and are now an authorized dealer of Beta motorcycles. We are very excited to have the opportunity to work with some incredible products. We enjoyed great success while testing them in the 2015 NETRA Harescramble and Enduro series and are proud to be aligned with them. We will have the option of selling all of their two and four stroke models. This lineup includes standard RR model, Race Editions, and the entire Mini trial lineup, X-Trainer, and EVO bikes.

We currently have a 2015 250RR Race Edition and 2016 X-Trainer available for demo rides at our Hatfield Massachusetts location. 2016 models should be arriving early December. If interested please feel free to stop by the shop or contact sales at 413.427.0846, and ask for Dave.

We will have a booth Set up at the Netra and JDay banquets. I also have Demo Bikes available now for test rides.

Thanks

Dave Dussault

Motoworx
    179 West Street
    West Hatfield, MA 01088
    Do you know this shop at all? I was just talking suspension service today... getting the winter maint list together.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Re: Hey, Paulie D, you bought too soon - New Hatfield Beta dealer

Yeah. I go there sometimes. It's really just a 2 bay garage and 2 guys. Good people though.

Paul_E_D

cool, prob take a trip out once they get set up.

Beta 200RR

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Yeah. I go there sometimes. It's really just a 2 bay garage and 2 guys. Good people though.
    edit: I stand corrected!

Last edited by scottieducati; 11-19-15 at 03:42 PM.

CCS/LRRS #83

To clarify. I think you are referring to bikeworx and Galen. Not the same place.

Paul_E_D

To clarify. I think you are referring to bikeworx and Galen. Not the same place.
    Ha, YEP!! funny how you knew exactly what I was talking about... my mistake!

CCS/LRRS #83

Lol. I raced with Galen and even bought an muz from him. A bit odd. But i never had a bad experience with him. He became a bit of a pariah.

Paul_E_D

Lol. I raced with Galen and even bought an muz from him. A bit odd. But i never had a bad experience with him. He became a bit of a pariah.
    Def. didn't want to drag it all back up in painful detail... I know very little of it, but I do know the reputation. My guess is folks with older bikes had nowhere else to go and typically these folks don't like paying for honest work since the bikes are old and of little value. It's not a very good business model and can surely lead to "issues."

Back to the OP, what is the big deal with BETA and what sets them apart from Husky / KTM / etc?

CCS/LRRS #83

Betas are kind of rare here making them that little bit sexy. Lol.

Paul_E_D

Surely, everyone watches this guy. The difference between Betty Beta and Katie M.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj9CFcySblU

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Back to the OP, what is the big deal with BETA and what sets them apart from Husky / KTM / etc?
    i love how "Husky" is a benchmark now thank you, Stefan, you crafty, rich, little devil you.. .

what's the big deal? test ride one, see if it's for you ... i'm deeply in love with mine for trail work (with the occasional track days thrown in) ... trials-type motor down low, mx'y up top, low seat height, light feel, top-notch build quality, the e-start actually works, tuff as nails, easy to work on, easy to get parts for, looks the sex, did i mention the electric start actually works? ... shall i go on?

these bikes won't be rare for long. price point is below Pumpkin Town (usually) and the fun factor / fit is a win for NE trail riders. if you're a Racer Boy, do the suspenders and minor motor mods. BAM! hot sauce.

Beta 200RR

the video reks95 linked is a great real-world comparo, love the vids that guys does, but if anyone is interested in what the big mags have to say... DIRT BIKE has a feature in the December issue on the 300RR. i haven't read it yet but heard they liked it a lot.

here's a few articles from Trail Rider magazine as well:

Trail Rider Magazine - Beta

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by reks95 View Post
    Surely, everyone watches this guy. The difference between Betty Beta and Katie M.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj9CFcySblU
    here's some accompanying words from 'betajuice' that he's been posting around. good stuff.

I've been asked so many times on Youtube about the Beta RR300 vs the KTM 300EXC that I figured it was time for a video.

KTM 300EXC vs BETA RR300: https://youtu.be/Dj9CFcySblU

I thought i'd post it here too to see what you guys think if you came across to Beta from one of the pumpkins and put a list together of the pros and cons of going red for anyone else trying to decide.

My personal conclusion is the KTM could have the edge for the professional racer, or a very experienced rider who is fast and hard core... but then the Beta RR300 will be the best bike for almost everyone else. But I don't think here's much in it and no one would be disappointed either way. Plenty of professional riders are doing great on the Beta, and there are plenty of trail hacks who are very happy with their KTMs.

Beta engine wins hands down. Far better starter motor, more user friendly, much better power valve adjustment, linear power for great traction, less likely to boil over...

The exhaust pipe is much higher and more tucked away on the Beta, so less likely to hit logs and rocks for us gumby riders.

KTM probably still has the edge for hard core riders with more suspension travel and the forks are probably still better although the rear isn't as good as the Beta. Early Sachs suspension was holding the earlier Betas back, but as of 2015 it's working quite well once set up correctly - see this guide here: Beta Riders Club Discussion Forum ? View topic - SP Suggestions for Tuning Your Beta Suspension I had my Sachs set up for my weight by a suspension tuner, they put the rear shock on a dyno and said it's one of the best stock shocks they've seen and could only make minor
    improvements on the valving. They said the forks were good but did get more of a plush feelon the initial stroke with a revalve. The Beta has a rear linkage, KTM persists with the PDS which can be good for clearing logs and rocks, but takes more work to get a nice action.

Ergonomics and weight. Later model Betas are better in these respects... lower, narrower and while the claimed weights put the Beta at 2kg heavier it feels lighter. That lower seat height is a real god send for shorter riders, but of course it does mean slightly less ground clearance so tall or experienced riders might prefer the KTM if they'll be hopping over a lot of logs and rocks. Ergos on the Kato DO suit tall riders quite well.

Both bikes handle well, KTM has reduced that twitchy front end but it still deters some and the Beta is more confidence inspiring, at least for us everyday riders.

Price wise, the Beta is cheaper... close to a thousand dollars in many countries and about $2000 cheaper in Australia!

Beta parts are cheaper, and way cheaper than most KTM parts. Of course KTM have the edge here with availability since there are far more dealers around, but Beta's solution is a very easy to use ordering system on every dealer's website and rapid postage works well. Personally I love how Beta is up front with their parts prices, KTM seem to hide theirs.

Along with the cheaper price on the Beta is a bit of extra bling on the standard model... billet triple clamps, FMF exhaust, Galfer discs. Nice if you are into that sort of thing whereas you'll need to buy KTM's premium model to get similar gear.

KTM still has the bigger fuel tank, important if you are into longer rides or into enduros with some fairly long legs between fuel stops.

There are more aftermarket parts available for KTMs but the gap is closing fast, there's a lot around for Beta now.

The KTM has a slightly lighter clutch, handy if you do a lot of clutch slipping in tight technical terrain.

BETA RR300 KNOWN ISSUES:
    - In some climates the carby is too rich, consult Beta's excellent jetting chart to lean it out
    - Float level is usually set a tad too high and can dribble fuel till adjusted
    - Seat base can rub on the positive battery terminal, zip tie a bit of rubber or plastic on
    - Frame protectors don't extend high enough, boots can rub paint off the frame
    - Bigger-sized boots tend to rub the decals off the side panels
    - A few report the two engine breather hoses can come off, zip tie them tight
    - Wiring behind headlight can rub on the head stem - zip tie out of the way
    - Side stand end is too small and sinks in soft ground, it needs a wider base
    - Swingarm/mudflap edges rub on swingarm, epoxy small rub blocks to areas, or trim it.

KTM 300EXC KNOWN ISSUES
    The starter motor is the main one... a terrible bolt-on setup to save production costs,
    it usually needs a lot of maintenance and parts can wear or break quickly if you use
    the starter a lot. The bendix is very prone to breaking, although they claim to have
    reduced this with the 2015 batch. Consider the Slavens wet mod to increase longevity.
    The twitchy front end is much better than it used to be but some riders still complain about
    it. The exhaust sits lower on the KTM than all the other two strokes, it needs protection.
    The KTM tends to overheat easier than the other two strokes, many riders install a fan
    for hot weather and/or riding in slow technical terrain.
    After that, it's just the usual sort of things that you'll find with most bikes:
    - low air cleaner box can drown the engine in deep water
    - switches on handlebars can be unreliable as they get older without regular cleaning
    - new bikes are set up too rich and need rejetting
    - stock suspension tends to be too soft unless you are a featherweight
    - re-route the gearbox breather to avoid getting water in the oil.

Beta 200RR

one more

ride review from Jimmy Lewis at Dirt Bike Test

2016 Beta 300RR - Dirt Bike Test

Beta 200RR

Lifer

The exhaust pipe is much higher and more tucked away on the Beta..
    Made it this far and said to self "sold"!

Biggest problem with a new Beta is a used KTM. One of you cats posted up their cross trainer newbie bike. I was very interested in it, 'cept for the price tag and availability.

They put automagic oil injection on the 300? That's tits.

hear you... the good thing is more and more used bikes are hitting the market as they gain popularity and advance to the latest model year. trouble is they're scattered throughout the country. many of the shops will ship for ~$300 though.

i bought mine new, but got lucky and stole it. (aging leftover)

Beta 200RR

That new Beta looks awesome... but the orange monster in my garage hasn't pissed me off yet so it stays.

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    what's the big deal? test ride one, see if it's for you ... i'm deeply in love with mine for trail work (with the occasional track days thrown in) ... trials-type motor down low, mx'y up top, low seat height, light feel, top-notch build quality, the e-start actually works, tuff as nails, easy to work on, easy to get parts for, looks the sex, did i mention the electric start actually works? ... shall i go on?
    That's the rub, never been in the dirt before. Looking for something that'll do it all (learning, trails, flat track, ice) and nearly bought one of JC's old KTM's, I really haven't a clue what I'm looking for but going new in all reality is probably out of the question. Shame though, as I really dig everything you have to say about it.... we'll see once spring comes, if I'm able to move a couple of street bikes I could see making the investment as I plan to dabble more in off road and reallly want to be able to ride a bit in the winter.

CCS/LRRS #83

Well, the never been in the dirt part can get fixed before you have a bike: Show up at a gathering and bring a bribe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Well, the never been in the dirt part can get fixed before you have a bike: Show up at a gathering and bring a bribe.
    You read my mind, as I was just eyeing the dirty rides thread.... not sure if I have my sh*t together to do this weekend though...

CCS/LRRS #83

Lifer

I would have positively hated myself if I had crashed a new bike as much as I have crashed either the dual-sport or the dirt-bike I've bought in the last 2 years.

There is no one size fits all solution. There are general purpose bikes that are kind okay at almost everything, and then specialized bikes that are the beez knees at one or two things. Then a few that slot somewhere in between. But none perfect. Pick your poison.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

That's the rub, never been in the dirt before. Looking for something that'll do it all (learning, trails, flat track, ice) and nearly bought one of JC's old KTM's, I really haven't a clue what I'm looking for but going new in all reality is probably out of the question. Shame though, as I really dig everything you have to say about it.... we'll see once spring comes, if I'm able to move a couple of street bikes I could see making the investment as I plan to dabble more in off road and reallly want to be able to ride a bit in the winter.
    IMHO the biggest thing to do is identify what you will be using the bike for first and then buy the proper bike for that. New, used doesn't matter so much as the right tool for the task.

MX bikes are really good for one thing, MX. Not so good at woods riding, ok on the ice and SM, too much of a pain to get road registered for other applications.

Woods/enduro bikes can be the jack of all trades bikes, ok at everything but not really spectacular at any one thing other than woods riding.

Dual sports again, jacks of all trades masters of none, typically heavier though than woods/eduro bikes.

My choice would I be in the market right now would be a larger displacement, road registerable, enduro/woods bike. I would likely go four stroke to avoid mixing fuel on longer trips like turkey runs and long trail rides though a big displacement 2 stroke would be just as fun. Suspension would be set up for me to do woods riding as that is what I do the most. One set of wheels for trail riding duty. Spare wheels for ice tire set up 21F/18R. Another spare set of wheels for SM applications 17F/17R. Possibly (not high on my list as an additional smaller bike would be just as fun and probably less money than converting the big bike) another set of wheels for flat track, pretty sure they should be 19F/19R

This set up would allow me to use one bike for a lot of different applications and be relatively good at the ones that I would choose to do. That is just me though. Something along the lines of the KTM 500EXC/Husqvarna FE501S

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    IMHO the biggest thing to do is identify what you will be using the bike for first and then buy the proper bike for that. New, used doesn't matter so much as the right tool for the task.

MX bikes are really good for one thing, MX. Not so good at woods riding, ok on the ice and SM, too much of a pain to get road registered for other applications.

Woods/enduro bikes can be the jack of all trades bikes, ok at everything but not really spectacular at any one thing other than woods riding.

Dual sports again, jacks of all trades masters of none, typically heavier though than woods/eduro bikes.

My choice would I be in the market right now would be a larger displacement, road registerable, enduro/woods bike. I would likely go four stroke to avoid mixing fuel on longer trips like turkey runs and long trail rides though a big displacement 2 stroke would be just as fun. Suspension would be set up for me to do woods riding as that is what I do the most. One set of wheels for trail riding duty. Spare wheels for ice tire set up 21F/18R. Another spare set of wheels for SM applications 17F/17R. Possibly (not high on my list as an additional smaller bike would be just as fun and probably less money than converting the big bike) another set of wheels for flat track, pretty sure they should be 19F/19R

This set up would allow me to use one bike for a lot of different applications and be relatively good at the ones that I would choose to do. That is just me though. Something along the lines of the KTM 500EXC/Husqvarna FE501S
    I dig that line of thinking and after earlier talks w/ some folks I'd settled on a mid-size 2 stroke, although I could be easily swayed. KDX200/EXC300 or this here Beta. I'm not sure something bigger would be the best place for me to get my feet wet though...

CCS/LRRS #83

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

I dig that line of thinking and after earlier talks w/ some folks I'd settled on a mid-size 2 stroke, although I could be easily swayed. KDX200/EXC300 or this here Beta. I'm not sure something bigger would be the best place for me to get my feet wet though...
    Agreed the larger displacement thing is just a personal preference. The mid displacement road registerable woods/enduro bikes are where it is at if the displacement doesn't enter into the picture.

There is no do it all dirtbike. If you want to practice/learn flattrack, a crf150 is the ticket, MX, a 250F, woods you have more options, but the suspension has to be so soft you can't ride other disciplines. Street legal bikes are usually not that good at anything, but the 250 class bikes are small enough to be good for play riding, just generally gutless.

You need 3 dirtbikes!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and smaller is always better for learning. YMMV

Paul_E_D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast