Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hodges Sat 4/28?

Hodges Sat 4/28?

i missed last weeks ride, bike issues. all set now...

anyone interested in hooking up at Hodges Sun 4/28? first ride of the season for me.

i'll post when i have a plan.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by typeone; 04-26-13 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Updated day/time
    Beta 200RR

Re: Hodges Sat 4/27?

want to change this title to Sunday? 7am.
    before all the illegals, err other riders show.

I wish I hadn't slacked on getting a mass ORV sticker for my bike, wouldn't mind getting out there on Sunday

Yamaha

You guys should ride Hodges on Sat and then ride the Bill Hallson Memorial Turkey Run on Sunday in Putnam, CT. I'll be there.

mike, yes, but not sure i can change the title (?)

mark, just do it online and print the temp tag. it's all I have for this wknd, still waiting for stickers.

B440, I'd love to do some Turkey Runs but no street reg.

Beta 200RR

Re: Hodges Sat 4/28?

the little goat is ready. new carb purrrrs. think im gonna like it.

loading up now so I don't have to think tomorrow. see you guys around 7AM. Chris is joining us.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

People call me nuts for keeping my bikes clean...has that thing ever seen dirt?

Yamaha

hah! shes got plenty of scars, we just have similar tastes in maintenance routines

are we going to see you tomorrow??? hint, the answer is, Yes.

Beta 200RR

My KTM still has the SuperMoto wheels on it, and I really need to stay home and concentrate on some of these projects. To answer your question, No...haha Maybe next time, plus I have to see if online registration works for out of state, my bike hasn't had a Mass sticker yet

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    My KTM still has the SuperMoto wheels on it, and I really need to stay home and concentrate on some of these projects. To answer your question, No...haha Maybe next time, plus I have to see if online registration works for out of state, my bike hasn't had a Mass sticker yet
    Let me know if that works, I need to do the same thing.

Typeone: What kind of carb is that?

Mark, bummer on tomorrow.

B440, I got tired of jetting the Mikuni TMXx, very finicky, so I'm trying a Lectron carb this season. it has an adjustable metering rod and powerjet rather than traditional jets.

super easy to set up so far.

Beta 200RR

Beautiful bike man! definitely let us know how the carb works out. I'm re-jetting 2 bikes today from winter settings. Not my favorite thing to do...

Awesome riding this morning. I'm spent!

Quote Originally Posted by McBiggity View Post
    Awesome riding this morning. I'm spent!
    agreed! great to hang with you guys today. weather was unreal, trail conditions perfect.

as soon as i got home i started laying mulch, just got in now. talk about spent!

Quote Originally Posted by slowkermit View Post
    Beautiful bike man! definitely let us know how the carb works out. I'm re-jetting 2 bikes today from winter settings. Not my favorite thing to do...
    thanks man, I love that little bike! It feels like a mtb with a motor

carb felt really great most of the day, super crisp in the morning, but my top end power issue crept back in later in the day. I'm really starting to think it is electrical... Once it starts to heat up real good, the high revs start to get weird, sputtery. I'm gonna try a different coil first then stator. If my PVs have moved again, that will be strange.

The carb itself is stupid east to adjust, simple twist of the rod (like a needle) for idle through midrange or twist of the powerjet for top end. So nice!

Beta 200RR

This pic gives me wood... lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    the little goat is ready. new carb purrrrs. think im gonna like it.

loading up now so I don't have to think tomorrow. see you guys around 7AM. Chris is joining us.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

When you do the coil, it should include the plug wire and cap. The cap is suspect as is the coil itself. I would think the stator wouldn't be heat related. This is a good thing. Coils are relatively cheap!

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    This pic gives me wood... lol!
    my pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    When you do the coil, it should include the plug wire and cap. The cap is suspect as is the coil itself. I would think the stator wouldn't be heat related. This is a good thing. Coils are relatively cheap!
    yes, i bought a complete spare ignition to test with for a whopping $70 shipped. new coil alone is $75. (still not bad)

planning to try the coil/wire/cap first. i almost swapped the cap before leaving but it was running so crisp through the whole range said f-it.

Beta 200RR

more thoughts for the tech geeks... so i'm not running lights anymore but i still have the regulator installed. think i can remove it? i've read yes and no. i still have the rest of the WR ignition so not sure it's smart to delete it.

also wondering about lead fouling from the 112. i read this can first show up as high RPM miss under load. hmmm. i should have swapped the new plug and headed back out yesterday. but that kinda doesn't make sense since i used the same plug during testing and the miss up top went away.

really seems like a heat related issue... just thinking out loud... wish i could go fiddle

Beta 200RR

Well, I'm not sure about running leaded gas if the squish has been set up for unleaded. Leaded setups can run MUCH tighter squish. I think it would more likely be a big problem to run unleaded in a leaded setup, but I dunno. I'd just try running 93 octane unleaded. You only need the high octane leaded juice if you're running .65mm of squish. .9mm and up is gonna run OK on pump gas

Paul_E_D

it's set up tight, i get ping with anything from 110 down i have not checked squish after the parts were worked over but the builder of the kit did have a few early kits cut too tight. i bumped the base gasket thickness from 0.4 or 5 to 0.7 but standard for this kit is 0.8. maybe i go with the 0.8 and try unleaded again (?) but i just love the SNAP!

also could try a little 50/50 mix race unleaded/pump now that i have this carb. might not have ping. they're supposed to be super efficient at atomizing fuel. many see spooge disappear, even swapping from perfectly jetted bikes. (i know you dont jet by spooge)

i should rip around the yard later on with NO changes. if the top end is OK, it's def heat related. but why no change at all in low -> mid?

too many variables. i need to step back and not tweak multiple things at once between tests. too hard to track at this point.

Last edited by typeone; 04-29-13 at 09:55 AM.
    Beta 200RR

Wirelessly posted

Yes. One at a time now. We could bring everything out to my track and work it out.

Paul_E_D

yeah, i need a testing day.

shoulda stayed a little longer yesterday and went back out for some readings and small tweaks. could have brought the coil with me too. hard to get on it over and over at home. too quiet out here.

Beta 200RR

Test the coil, but now I'm suspicious of squish settings. As the motor gets hotter, the chance of detonation from the squish band in goes up. Needs to be measured in the head. gasket size can't be determined until that measurement is established. It's pretty east to do.

Paul_E_D

it's a good point, but i dont think it's related to the sputtering issue.

before i went up to the 112, the motor would ping at all temps. fire it up, warm for a bit, take off and get on it... ping. the only combo that got rid of it completely was moving to a cooler plug (back to stock 9-series from 8), .7 gasket and the 112. havent heard it ping since. actually, now that i think about it, another guy was having the same ping issue with his kit. he threw the .8 in and the ping was gone. he mentioned a slightly softer bottom so i went a hair thinner gasket (although thicker than i was running) and higher octane fuel to cure it.

bike ran great for a while then right around when i removed my lights, we did some high speed stuff on the way out to your track and it's been coming back ever since. i kept thinking it was carb related but i cleaned that thing a bunch of times, tried different mains and now switched carbs completely. issue still cropping up.

i'll check the squish anyway because i am guessing on a lot of this, should have a record of that and compression to refer to.

i'm not very good with electrics so i could test a bunch of this stuff but havent done that yet either. the WR ignition is kinda stone age tech, analog and not very strong. could be that one part isn't up to snuff and away goes your high rev performance. swapping to the CR digital ignition is common. much better quality and performance. i like the heavy flywheel effect of the WR ign so i dont really want to make that change.

good thing i like to mess with all this crap it's the only way to PERFECT. (but i may or may not have brain damage though. my wife thinks i'm loony)

Beta 200RR

Get back to me with the squish #.

Paul_E_D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast