Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 161

Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

  1. #126
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,389

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Kind of a swing and a miss for us on this one. I was hopeful it would work but it was a tough morning. It was really my daughters first time trail riding (and on a brand new bike) and the terrain was harder than I thought for her, the continuous roots were tough. We ended up going too slow and my sons bike overheated multiple times. It took us an hour to do the 2.2mi pee wee loop! I ran it one more time by myself and we just left before noon. We ended up getting home and riding here for an hour lol. Kids were hyped to ride but that wasn't it. The mix of adults and beginner kids on single track was a bad combo. Nice to meet you typeone! We were bummed your kids couldn't ride. Overall, all smiles from the family though and beautiful weather so it was a pretty good day.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #127

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    sounds like an adventure your family won't forget

    I kinda wanna see this pee wee loop now

    and ya the roots getchya...and the more it's ridden, the more they're exposed; usually closer to the parking lot

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R**

  3. #128
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,389

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    sounds like an adventure your family won't forget

    I kinda wanna see this pee wee loop now

    and ya the roots getchya...and the more it's ridden, the more they're exposed; usually closer to the parking lot
    honestly it wasn't THAT hard, it was just tough on the little bikes, and without enough speed, they kept getting hung up and spinning tires. My son went down 3 times, my daughter went down about 8 times.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #129
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    MA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    38,304

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Kind of a swing and a miss for us on this one. I was hopeful it would work but it was a tough morning. It was really my daughters first time trail riding (and on a brand new bike) and the terrain was harder than I thought for her, the continuous roots were tough. We ended up going too slow and my sons bike overheated multiple times. It took us an hour to do the 2.2mi pee wee loop! I ran it one more time by myself and we just left before noon. We ended up getting home and riding here for an hour lol. Kids were hyped to ride but that wasn't it. The mix of adults and beginner kids on single track was a bad combo. Nice to meet you typeone! We were bummed your kids couldn't ride. Overall, all smiles from the family though and beautiful weather so it was a pretty good day.
    Ah shit, that's too bad. We were wondering what prompted the early departure. Had we known the situation I bet we coulda brought you over to the north side of the park with fewer people and a couple of easier sections.


    Sylwia and I rode in a little after 10. She did the Pee Wee loop about 5 or so times during the day, as did I, along with one lap of the medium loop. Was hoping to do the big loop before we left but I was starting to run low on energy and everyone else I was with was ready to bounce at that point. I prob coulda knocked it out but I didn't wanna go that far riding "solo" when I was already starting to get tired.

    Anyways... tell your kids, to not get discouraged! That "PeeWee" loop was actually pretty challenging!

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by OreoGaborio; 10-31-22 at 08:23 AM.
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #81 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  5. #130
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    i was bummed to see your rig gone when we popped back out of the woods but i'm glad to hear no one got injured, it was a slick morning for sure! in past years the pee wee loop used more of the basic 'oval' out there, which has the long straightaway. glad we got to at least say hello in the AM, James! that was a long haul for you guys.

    there were a few stories of peeps hitting the deck quick in the morning, i was waiting for my turn took it real gingerly through the initial roots sections. and yeah, the blonde ice is fun once the bark is gone on the adult/pee wee mix, there was too much overlap between the loops skill/difficulty wise putting everyone in the same sections (mostly entry and exit). the young guns don't like to turn it down in a mixed family event, which can suck. most people we encountered of all skills were respectful but had a few make 'passes' like we were in a harescramble. lame, but it's always going to happen.

    had a blast just wish i had more time, early trick or treat for our town so i had to get home but got all 3 loops in + a medium loop to cap the day. think we rolled out around 2pm. two more big loops would have been nice, the weather was just too perfect and conditions were starting to tack up a tad.

    great to see everyone that made it out! hope to meet up more often with those who are local ... and Chris, hope the hand is OK today!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  6. #131
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    Ah shit, that's too bad. We were wondering what prompted the early departure. Had we known the situation I bet we coulda brought you over to the north side of the park with fewer people and a couple of easier sections.
    man, that would have been a fantastic idea, could have rode straight out the railroad bed. bummer.

    Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    And I agree, the pee wee loop was actually reasonably challenging... so tell your kids, don't get discouraged!
    huge +1 to this. props for grinding through it!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  7. #132
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,389

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    Ah shit, that's too bad. We were wondering what prompted the early departure. Had we known the situation I bet we coulda brought you over to the north side of the park with fewer people and a couple of easier sections.


    Sylwia and I rode in a little after 10. She did the Pee Wee loop about 5 or so times during the day, as did I, along with one lap of the medium loop. Was hoping to do the big loop before we left but I was starting to run low on energy and everyone else I was with was ready to bounce at that point. I prob coulda knocked it out but I didn't wanna go that far riding "solo" when I was already starting to get tired.

    Anyways... tell your kids, to not get discouraged! That "PeeWee" loop was actually pretty challenging!
    I think I saw you and Sylwia ride by in the morning. Ill let the kids know it wasn't just them that thought it wasn't too easy! They will have some stories to tell today at school for sure!

    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    i was bummed to see your rig gone when we popped back out of the woods but i'm glad to hear no one got injured, it was a slick morning for sure! in past years the pee wee loop used more of the basic 'oval' out there, which has the long straightaway. glad we got to at least say hello in the AM, James! that was a long haul for you guys.

    there were a few stories of peeps hitting the deck quick in the morning, i was waiting for my turn took it real gingerly through the initial roots sections. and yeah, the blonde ice is fun once the bark is gone on the adult/pee wee mix, there was too much overlap between the loops skill/difficulty wise putting everyone in the same sections (mostly entry and exit). the young guns don't like to turn it down in a mixed family event, which can suck. most people we encountered of all skills were respectful but had a few make 'passes' like we were in a harescramble. lame, but it's always going to happen.

    had a blast just wish i had more time, early trick or treat for our town so i had to get home but got all 3 loops in + a medium loop to cap the day. think we rolled out around 2pm. two more big loops would have been nice, the weather was just too perfect and conditions were starting to tack up a tad.

    great to see everyone that made it out! hope to meet up more often with those who are local ... and Chris, hope the hand is OK today!
    I felt bad just taking off, I really wanted to get out and ride with you guys so bad! But we were sitting by the trailer and everyone was just kinda over it, so I said, well, we don't have to sit here, we can just go home, and the answer was a resounding yes definitely. Everyone was happy and everyone had fun despite the difficulties and my daughter is loving her new 100, like I said we unloaded the bikes when we got home and rode another hour here. That was a LOOONG drive though for the kids to ride 2.2 miles and me to ride 4.4 miles!!!!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xrocket21; 10-31-22 at 08:48 AM.

  8. #133
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,389

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    man, that would have been a fantastic idea, could have rode straight out the railroad bed. bummer.



    huge +1 to this. props for grinding through it!
    They weren't really discouraged at all, so that is good!

    We have the Southwick J-day next weekend and we are all pumped for that. My daughter wants to start racing too! I told her she isn't ready this year, but next year she will be 11 and can still get a year in as a pee-wee (Under 12), Now I gotta start getting her some gear.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #134
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    MA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    38,304

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Hey Clinton!

    You remember that tough (for me ) trail that you took Paul, Chris and I up that started on the west side of the road goin up the hill? Yeah, the one that had me doubled over gasping for air by the time I finally got to the top of???

    Well I hit it with Steve Heider this past Sunday & ROCKED IT! Still had a few little hiccups along the way, but I reached the top in probably half the time with half the traction (slimy day) using half the energy.

    We also found the trail that goes around the back (West) of the pit to the South side.

    Felt so good I went home & went on a spending spree... Bought myself a new dirty lid (Bell MX9 Adventure), some goggles, some pants, a Klim Nac Pak, a couple of jerseys and a Sena 50S duo pack.

    Just need to upgrade my boots & get a couple more pairs of gloves.

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by OreoGaborio; 11-18-22 at 07:47 AM.
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #81 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  10. #135
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,389

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    Hey Clinton!

    You remember that tough-ish trail you took Paul, Chris and I up on the west side of the road that had me doubled over gasping for air???

    Well I hit it with Steve Heider this past Sunday & ROCKED IT! Had a few little hiccups along the way that slowed me down a little, but I reached the top without being completely gassed.

    We also found the trail that goes around the back (West) of the pit to the South side.

    Felt so good I went home & went on a spending spree... Bought myself a new dirty lid, some goggles, pants, Klim backpack & a couple of jerseys. Oh and a Sena 50S duo pack.

    Just need to upgrade my boots & get a couple more pairs of gloves.
    Whatcha lookin at for boots? I need a new pair for next season....

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #136
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    MA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    38,304

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Undecided... trying to keep my budget down, but boots are also one of those "buy once cry once", "spend money to save money" kinda items, so I'm trying to find that best bang for the buck zone.

    Alpinestars Tech 7's, maybe? Leatt 5.5 Flexlock? Gaerne Fastback?

    Alpinestars make a waterproof Tech 7 with an enduro sole....... Found some for 380 on Amazon...

    I would've gotten some Forma's as they used to be a sponsor of ours (ECK Racing), but they stopped answering our emails and it also looks like they stopped making the boots I wanted (Waterproof Terrain TX)

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by OreoGaborio; 11-17-22 at 04:51 PM.
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #81 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  12. #137
    I hardly know ‘er Spooler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    41
    Posts
    855

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    Undecided... trying to keep my budget down, but boots are also one of those "buy once cry once", "spend money to save money" kinda items, so I'm trying to find that best bang for the buck zone.

    Alpinestars Tech 7's, maybe? Leatt 5.5 Flexlock? Gaerne Fastback?

    Alpinestars make a waterproof Tech 7 with an enduro sole....... Found some for 380 on Amazon...

    I would've gotten some Forma's as they used to be a sponsor of ours (ECK Racing), but they stopped answering our emails and it also looks like they stopped making the boots I wanted (Waterproof Terrain TX)
    I’ve been thinking about the Leatt 5.5 boots, they’re super cheap right now. Reviews I’ve seen have been kind of all over the place... I generally put a lot of faith in Leatt gear though.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

  13. #138
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    44
    Posts
    13,123

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    I mostly love my Leatts, though damn are the buckles getting STIFF to lock in.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #139
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    Hey Clinton!

    You remember that tough (for me ) trail that you took Paul, Chris and I up that started on the west side of the road goin up the hill? Yeah, the one that had me doubled over gasping for air by the time I finally got to the top of???

    Well I hit it with Steve Heider this past Sunday & ROCKED IT! Still had a few little hiccups along the way, but I reached the top in probably half the time with half the traction (slimy day) using half the energy.

    We also found the trail that goes around the back (West) of the pit to the South side.

    Felt so good I went home & went on a spending spree... Bought myself a new dirty lid (Bell MX9 Adventure), some goggles, some pants, a Klim Nac Pak, a couple of jerseys and a Sena 50S duo pack.

    Just need to upgrade my boots & get a couple more pairs of gloves.

    YESSSS! nice work, man, knew you'd progress fast. you kept saying the trail was killing you but you always made it through!

    so are you talking about the gas line hill (wide open view) or the mid-state through the 'dark trees' at western end? both of those will connect to the trail that goes along the back side of the quarry that i always call 'the river bed'. it floods nice in spring, great practice riding straight through. i'll have to show you guys some other hills that are tech but fun. good stepping stones.

    love it on the spending spree!

    on boots, cry once with GAERNE. can't believe i've had my SG12s for 9 years and i'm sending them out for their first resoling this winter. nuts. i'll prob throw new buckles on for the hell of it.

    look forward to hooking up with you guys out there more next season!

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  15. #140
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I think I saw you and Sylwia ride by in the morning. Ill let the kids know it wasn't just them that thought it wasn't too easy! They will have some stories to tell today at school for sure!

    I felt bad just taking off, I really wanted to get out and ride with you guys so bad! But we were sitting by the trailer and everyone was just kinda over it, so I said, well, we don't have to sit here, we can just go home, and the answer was a resounding yes definitely. Everyone was happy and everyone had fun despite the difficulties and my daughter is loving her new 100, like I said we unloaded the bikes when we got home and rode another hour here. That was a LOOONG drive though for the kids to ride 2.2 miles and me to ride 4.4 miles!!!!
    missed this post ... awesome to hear the kids took it in stride but yeah, woof, long drive for 2.2/4.4 miles. was still great to meet you and the fam in person! i'm hoping my work schedule isn't as shitty next season so we can make some trips north. was bummed we weren't able to hit Jericoh again, kids had a blast there (even though i wish there was more singletrack).

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  16. #141
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,389

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    missed this post ... awesome to hear the kids took it in stride but yeah, woof, long drive for 2.2/4.4 miles. was still great to meet you and the fam in person! i'm hoping my work schedule isn't as shitty next season so we can make some trips north. was bummed we weren't able to hit Jericoh again, kids had a blast there (even though i wish there was more singletrack).
    not to talk toooooooooooo much shit, but it was kinda dumb of us to leave rural Maine to check out Massachusetts version of "good" trails lol. We have better trails in our backyard! The roots were so tough on those little 10" kids wheels, and the roots were relentless.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  17. #142
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    not to talk toooooooooooo much shit, but it was kinda dumb of us to leave rural Maine to check out Massachusetts version of "good" trails lol. We have better trails in our backyard! The roots were so tough on those little 10" kids wheels, and the roots were relentless.
    hear that, not much flat going on around here. rocks 'n roots is your standard menu. BUT, it's a shame they didn't use more of the smooth roads for the peewees. back oval + railroad bed would have been perfect. or even some small loops off the railroad bed would be a fun challenge for them. straight into a rooty, off-chamber trail then even bigger roots was a mistake.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  18. #143
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,389

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    hear that, not much flat going on around here. rocks 'n roots is your standard menu. BUT, it's a shame they didn't use more of the smooth roads for the peewees. back oval + railroad bed would have been perfect. or even some small loops off the railroad bed would be a fun challenge for them. straight into a rooty, off-chamber trail then even bigger roots was a mistake.
    kids were great sports about it though. My daughter was on her brand new bike for the first time, and it was also her first time on a course with other fast riders!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  19. #144
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    52
    Posts
    14,712

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Ha! I hate to agree, but the trails here blow. Riders have taken to acting like they enjoy jarring climbs and dragging bikes over obstacles. but seriously, there really aren't ANY beginner trails in MA despite what the locals say.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  20. #145

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Yeah, kinda agree…it’s kinda meh. But if you live close to there, the options are limited.

    The “good stuff”, people don’t post or talk about.

    Any chance you guys wanna fly out west and ride?

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 11-18-22 at 11:50 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R**

  21. #146
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Ha! I hate to agree, but the trails here blow. Riders have taken to acting like they enjoy jarring climbs and dragging bikes over obstacles. but seriously, there really aren't ANY beginner trails in MA despite what the locals say.
    Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Yeah, kinda agree…it’s kinda meh.
    i don't agree with either of you, we've got some super fun loops in the legal spots around here. are there better, larger systems elsewhere, sure, but i don't live there. thankful for what i have, just wish the MA laws weren't so strict so that i could get my boys down to HVD legally.

    the technical stuff (within reason) is a blast to me, the usuals i ride with would say the same, it's all about the challenge and adventure. def not a good time for everyone though new england can be frustrating if you don't enjoy rough terrain to extend your ride time but it will certainly make you a better off-road rider.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  22. #147
    Member DirtDawg21892's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Nashua NH
    Age
    30
    Posts
    104

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    How late in the year is HVD open? I'm not really that close, but ride Hop Ev a few times a year and like it. down for ADV stuff too, would love to get out with you guys sometime.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  23. #148
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    MA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    38,304

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Well... Only thing I could find on that was here where there's a statement saying it's open year round for outdoor recreation... That doesn't necessarily mean there aren't restrictions specifically for dirt bikes, though I couldn't find any.

    I'm willing to ride up until studs are needed. Don't have any of those. I DO have ice tires, but not studded tires.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by OreoGaborio; 11-28-22 at 09:55 PM.
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #81 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  24. #149
    Member DirtDawg21892's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Nashua NH
    Age
    30
    Posts
    104

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Cool! I went and did over 100 miles worth of the flatlander on Black Friday. the water crossings are pretty cold, but it's still pretty good riding.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  25. #150
    Powered by Kurtz theducman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Branford CT
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,570

    Re: Hodges Village Dam, Oxford, MA

    Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    Well... Only thing I could find on that was here where there's a statement saying it's open year round for outdoor recreation... That doesn't necessarily mean there aren't restrictions specifically for dirt bikes, though I couldn't find any.

    I'm willing to ride up until studs are needed. Don't have any of those. I DO have ice tires, but not studded tires.
    Can always come to my place Pete, open year round and I have a key to the place lol. I just got a trials bike so I will be messing around with that soon

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki
    USCRA# 772
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •