Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Honda CR125

Honda CR125

I have a guy interested in my KLX300R. He has a 98 CR125 he is talking about trading.

Or he might just buy it outright.

My questions.

Do you think the CR is going to be a good bike for me?

I like that it is lighter and would hopefully be easier but I wonder if it will be too down on power and I wouldn't be used to the 2 stroke.

Will it do ok in the trails that I ride with Highsider?

Anyone got one for sale? (Alex?)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Lifer

Honda CR125

a CR125 is plenty of bike and plenty of power.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Littering and........

Honda CR125

Congrats - you might actually make a *smart* trade.

A CR125 is a cool little bike, should make good power, and will work fine in the woods. Wont have the torque your KLX has, but 2 smokers are fun.

Honda CR125

If you're light, the CR125 will work. If you're fast, the CR125 will work. If you're into trail plonking like a mountain goat, it will require quite a bit more power management to maintain traction. Plan on putting a fresh top end on it, and fresh reeds.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Honda CR125

Wow people are actually not shooting me down on this one!

So... Do you think it is a fair trade? Or should one of us get money as well?

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Littering and........

Honda CR125

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Wow people are actually not shooting me down on this one!

So... Do you think it is a fair trade? Or should one of us get money as well?
    You should get some money. Not much, but something. The motor in your KLX is new and fresh, the CR is a 2 stroke that will need rebuilding soon. (Because they always need rebuilding soon.)

Lifer

Honda CR125

there's no telling with dirt bikes. They could need everything or nothing, and it's not hard to drop a quick $1000 plus fixing what needs to be done. i don't know what your bike is worth or what that one is worth.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Honda CR125

Quote Originally Posted by hessogood View Post
    there's no telling with dirt bikes. They could need everything or nothing, and it's not hard to drop a quick $1000 plus fixing what needs to be done. i don't know what your bike is worth or what that one is worth.
    New Car Prices | Used Car Values - Official Kelley Blue Book Site

The KLX is like $1800 and the CR is like $1600

I have my lil XR100... 125 doesn't seem that much bigger?

As EVERYONE knows I only paid $1000 for the KLX.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Lifer

Honda CR125

You really can't compair the XR100 and the CR125. The XR is a learner bike, and a fun trail toy for smaller riders and kids. Very forgiving, 4 stroke, etc. The CR 125 is a race bike for MX. If it has been set up for racing, it will be a tough ride for plogging through the woods. To race a 125 you have to ride them like you're mad at them, wring the snot out of them. They really only make power in the upper ends. You can buy yourself a little headroom by putting a bigger sprocket on the rear. Good Luck...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Lifer

Honda CR125

If that XR was a 250 that might be somewhat comprable. Two stroke is power every stroke, 4 strock is every other. do the math. Blue book doesn't mean squat on a dirtbike. I've dropped over a grand last year on fixing things that had been neglected on my KX and it could have been worse.

The power on the 125 is plenty. Ask Joel, who is not a light weight guy. Kates also rides a 125, and does not need to rev the hell out of the engine, quite the opposite, he spends a lot of time just belching it in the low revs.

Honda CR125

My CR125 is MORE than enough nut for any and all trail riding and MX riding.

I'd be happy with it being smaller on the dimension side since I'm a smaller guy.

They can be had cheap if you look hard enough. I got a schmowkin deal on mine, a 2001, all original (including tires and motor) that needed nothing but a spark plug to be mint for an even grand. Just make sure it's a tight bike. Like Jay said, it's very easy to need to dump a bunch of cake on a dirtbike.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Honda CR125

Good advice. Sounds like the 125 will be more than enough for me.

I know the KLX runs great, Maybe I can swap and get a little cash as well. At least that is what I will try to do.

I will get some pics and see what you guys think.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Lifer

Honda CR125

Pics don't do much. Check the sprockets and chaine, the brake pads, rotors. See if the swingarm bearings and wheel bearings are tight or if there's play in it. See if the kickstart is solid, the more square the knobs are the better, rounded need to be replaced, run it and let it get hot. Look for loose, rusted, bent, and stuff like that.

Honda CR125

I still think you are better off sellin the KLX. Trades just irk me.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Honda CR125

The CR is a sleek, well build, and badass dirtbike. While MX focused they can work just find in the woods. A topend job on a tiddler is a 45 minute, $75 job (piston/rings).

Really isn't a comparison, I'd make that trade in a second.

If you just plan on poking around the trails of Vermont thou, keep the KLX, that's what it's built for and it's more mild mannered. If you plan on hitting up a MX track once and a while, go CR.

Boston --> San Diego

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Honda CR125

Quote Originally Posted by hessogood View Post
    The power on the 125 is plenty. Ask Joel, who is not a light weight guy
    Hey now.....you'd think I weighed somewhere upwards of 300 lbs or something the way you guys talk about me. Jeeesh

Actually, I do weigh upwards of 300 lbs and I will be the first to say that the POS 91 CR125 that I bought last summer is plenty of fun in the woods and can haul me around just fine. I have taken a spin or two on the smaller four stroke stuff and there is no comparison.

As has already been said the smaller four stroke stuff make great learning tools and steady dependable fun in the woods without the rip snorting excitement that the two strokes offer. There is nothing like a two stroke getting on the pipe and making some power (kinda scary sometimes when you are on a tight trail and all of a sudden you are going much faster than you were a minute ago)

All that being said, IMHO I don't think it would be a bad trade for you to make as long as the CR isn't going to need a whole lot of maintenance in the near future.

Joel

Honda CR125

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Honda CR125

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I have a guy interested in my KLX300R. He has a 98 CR125 he is talking about trading.

Or he might just buy it outright.

My questions.

Do you think the CR is going to be a good bike for me?

I like that it is lighter and would hopefully be easier but I wonder if it will be too down on power and I wouldn't be used to the 2 stroke.

Will it do ok in the trails that I ride with Highsider?

Anyone got one for sale? (Alex?)
    If Tlrs25 can ride a 125 your all set!!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Honda CR125

I made the trade.

I do like the power delivery of the 4 stroke but I think the 300 was a little heavy for me. I haven't been back in the dirt long and I want to be better able to "toss it around" if I have to. Plus picking up a lighter bike form all the falls would be better to.

It ended up being a 97 but I think it is in good shape, rotors and brakes look good, started easily, seems to have some upgrades... The guy that traded it is an older guy and I got a good feeling from him. I was gonna ask for $200 with the trade but the KLX needs tires so...

I am happy with it. Makes me all Honda now. (Except for the Ducati) I'll miss the sound of that KLX but the CR should be a good fit.

Ring a ding ding ding ding ding!

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Honda CR125

Lets ride!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Honda CR125

Anyone know of a forum for cr125's? I am looking for more info on them.

What changes were made in 98? ETC.

Found out the 98 was the upgrade year. (I knew the 98 was better for some reason.)

Last edited by Doc; 03-19-07 at 11:55 AM.
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X