Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Hour/tach meter problem

Hour/tach meter problem

I picked up a left over 07 CRF250 a few weeks ago. I also bought a Moose hour/tach meter for it to keep track of the maint. Installed as the directions say it didnt seem to work. At the very least it wont register the rpm. At first I thought it could be a faulty meter. I installed it on my YZ125 and it worked perfectly. The rpms came up on the meter when I gave it gas. I then went back and installed it on the CRF and it doesnt register the rpms. Has anyone had similar problems or have suggestions on how I can get this working? The only thing I can think of is the spark plus wire is insulated more on the CRF then the YZ.

The odd thing is on both bikes it will pick up some rpm, it seems to be between 10 and 50 without the bike on and without me kicking it over at random times. I think this could be caused because I just had it hanging and wrapped around the bars so I could test it. Either way it works on the YZ and not on the CRF so any suggestions would be great.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

Re: Hour/tach meter problem

With some of those the number of times you wrap it around the spark wire will affect them. Sometimes more wraps work better and sometimes less wraps works better.

2004 Honda VTR
    1998 Honda VTR (Track Bike )
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350
    http://www.ftmsnh.com

Re: Hour/tach meter problem

Found the answer on thumper talk. Honda put the coil on the CRF in the plug cap whereas the YZ donest have that. So I had to wrap the cap instead of the wire. Works perfectly now.

James