Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Dirty bike buying question

Dirty bike buying question

OK, so I'm looking around at dirty bikes, and have a question. Being from NH (no sales tax), do I have to pay sales tax if I go to VT or MA to buy a dirty bike? Or do you pay the tax when you register them like street bikes and cars?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Re: Dirty bike buying question

As far as I know, RI is the only state in the northeast that makes you pay sales tax on offroad toys if you're from out of state.
    I've bought dirtybikes and ATV's from Ct and Mass and did not have to pay sales tax at the dealer.

Yamaha

When I bought my 09 RMZ450 the guy said just give a N.H residence when you purchase the bike and you won't have to pay sales tax.

Granted you can't register the bike for on the road use, it never mattered to me as I only use it for tracks.

Btw what bike are you looking for ?

My brother bought a 2006 RMZ250 and used like about 4x before he joined the military and is now selling it.

$2300. Thing is practically new.

Good info, thanks guys. I'm keeping my options kind of open right now. Buying a house in the near future then buying a bike. I've got my eye on a KTM 250SX right now. Done the 250F, done the 450, thinking I'll like the light weight of the 250 2-smoke. Plus for racing it gives me my choice of 4 classes (250, 450, Open, 30+). And at my skill level, the extra power of the 450 isn't going to make a difference in where I finish.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Wirelessly posted (TELECA-/2.0 (BREW 3.1.5; U; EN-US; SAMSUNG; SPH-M810; Teleca/Q05A/INT) MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Im a MA resident and last dirt bike I bought last year I had to pay sales tax at the dealer. I think I could have got away without paying at the dealer but I would have still had to pay when I got my off road plate.

James

+1 ^

ya, if you go NH->MA, although I can't find it written anywhere, my understanding is that it just needs to get paid by the time you put an ORV plate on it

(James correct me if this was not the case for you) So if you paid the tax when you bought it from a dealer, you bring the proof of that sales tax payment with you to the ORV office to prove that you paid it, and you get a plate. But if you bought it private party, you have to pay the sales tax online and bring that receipt before getting a plate. However if you buy it used from a private party (from any state) and don't register it ORV or street (using it only on private property or tracks), you never *have* to pay a sales tax on it.

I'm hoping that's the way it works. From looking around I'm probably going to have to go outside NH to buy the bike, since the KTM dealers here are sold out of them. And I may as well go for a drive myself rather than try to have them get me one, since they are all over an hour away from me to begin with.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

I worked in the F&I department for a few years at Land Air in Vermont so perhaps I can shed some light on the laws, at least in VT. The only way we could get away with NOT charging sales tax was if the bike were being delivered out of state! If delivery was to taken at the dealership, we had to charge vermont state sales tax. If we were driving it over to NY or NH we did not have to charge sales tax.

Again, it was a few years ago that I worked in F&I, but I believe the rules are still the same.

I still do work at Land Air and we are a KTM dealer. If you're interested I could see what we've got for SX models. All of us at the shop ride KTM, but we are all fourstrokers at this point!

Brad

Brad - that would be cool if you could check for me. That sucks that I would have to have it delivered.....

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Quote Originally Posted by danny86 View Post
    When I bought my 09 RMZ450 the guy said just give a N.H residence when you purchase the bike and you won't have to pay sales tax.

Granted you can't register the bike for on the road use, it never mattered to me as I only use it for tracks.

Btw what bike are you looking for ?

My brother bought a 2006 RMZ250 and used like about 4x before he joined the military and is now selling it.

$2300. Thing is practically new.
    may have a buyer for your bros bike... pm me more details/pics