Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast

Ice Ice baby

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Re: Ice Ice baby

noticed this AM on the 18 degree MC commute the Charles is icing up nicely in Medford!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Ok, to give you guys something to debate again (and so I don't have to go flipping through threads)...

I know a lot of you guys have ama studs, or Canadian studs, etc. What should I be looking for? I don't think I'm going to pull the trigger this year, but planning for next.

I rode ice this past weekend for the first time. My buddy has a 690 set up with tires he put screws in himself (Kold Kutters or something similar). It hooked up pretty well, but looking to see what the best way of going is. How many of you guys build your own tires?

I've got a 2014 200xcw. Just casually starting to look for wheels, etc.

Oh, man, that 2hunny will make a sick ice ripper. Wow, a 690 with home built cold kutters ain't gonna last long. I always recommend buying tires built by a pro. For recreational use the "canadian" screws are the sweet spot. these are just an 1/8" taller heads than the AMAs and they dig into snowy ice better. These are not the insanely long spikey screws. Those have goofy amounts of grip, but tear up the ice in a very short time and really don't teach you about traction management.

Pro tire builders include Bill Rowe and Jeff Fredette. There are others but I don't know them.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

For once, I agree with Paul. Kanadians for rec riding : enough meat to cut through piles of chips without so much that you can't easily slide the bike.

I have them on my '12 200 XC. Aside from wishing for more power on bigger tracks, it's awesome. Mine are Fredette/FRP built tires. Can't say enough good things about them.
    Tune the power valve for the most top-end, most knarly hit. Shift a lot and beat the bag out of it.
    You can fit older front wheels with a older front axle and an adapter kit KTM sells. I can maybe find the P/N somewhere if it helps.

FWIW I also have a WR450F with Marcel "cheater" screws. Totally different animal. Can drag pegs, go knee down, wheelie constantly and various other parlor tricks. Have to be going stupid fast to get the bike to slide much. On the upside they don't care how chewed up the ice is.. still grip.

Central MA. Pond is in my backyard. Neighbors dont mind as long as we are running obnoxious four strokes with modified exhaust. Quiet is key.

Ice Ice baby-img_20190117_084945_509-jpg
    Ice Ice baby-screenshot_20190114-150441-jpg
    Ice Ice baby-screenshot_20190114-143459-jpg
    Ice Ice baby-img_20181211_170322-jpg
    Ice Ice baby-20180218_100400-jpg

You want some 21/18" AMAs?? I have two sets not being used. Toasted ones for free, mint ones for... not sure yet. I am underwhelmed with AMAs unless riding on a clean (and constanly cleaned) surface with others on the same screws. You will fall down if pushing beyond moderate lean, but with skill can back it in and hang it out hugely. The 0.185" tall head and dense rear pattern only work on clean ice.

I would go with Canadian .250" tall head on a somewhat open pattern dirt tire. Freddete Racing does Motoz Tractionators with Canadian screws. Pricey, but definitely the style (even if you made them) I would do if starting over. Liners to screw into are necessary if you want to keep screws and avoid flats.
    Moto Z ice tire with 1/4" Canadian screws for sale in Beecher, IL | Fredette Racing Products (708) 946-0999

I currently run Fourniers (cut Canadian screw on a sand type tire) and they're really too much. Rough on the pocketbook, tire wraps, the ice, and the bike because you have to push so hard to get any slip. But leaned over corner wheelies are special.
    Ice tires | marcelfournier.ca

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

I have that motoZ fredette. I think it's the best tire made for recreational riding. Mine's 4 plus seasons old and still works perfectly!

Paul_E_D

First time ever Paul has agreed with something I've posted. My work here is done.

In all seriousness though, I had a hard time learning ice riding because the tires I started with were so bad. I'm stubborn, and eventually moved to Fourniers which you almost can't break loose unless you lever the back end off the ice by leaning until the frame touches.

We have more info about screw position and tire mounting if you want to not learn the hard way. I mounted my first tire backwards even with much research. Sucked.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Either you guys are learning, or I'm getting soft in my... middle age. LOL.

Paul_E_D

I was out checking my ponds today as well, about 4” of clear black ice.

Ice Ice baby-1d6939a2-0bbb-41a4-a480-bfa71c2278e0

Ice Ice baby-96ee4d7c-4cf4-4816-82d4-a9118d485d3b

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with this weekend storm, I’m hoping for a switch to rain here to avoid plowing the ice. If all goes well, I’m going to set up a track next weekend

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

That looks awesome. I'd rip it before the snow, just in case.

Paul_E_D

Thanks guys.

The rear on the 690 was holding together fairly well so far, but the front already had a few pull outs (but he had used a used tire for the front).

I think the 200 would be a lot more fun, since it weighs a ton less. That and I'd be more comfortable pushing it.

And clear on the studs now. For some reason I thought the ama and Canadians were a different type of studs than a screw in one. But I get it now.

I thought I remember some thought about Canadian in the front, ama for the rear. That worth considering? Or just Canadians for both.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post
    I thought I remember some thought about Canadian in the front, ama for the rear. That worth considering? Or just Canadians for both.
    I have the set up you describe with the AMA rear and Canadian front. Though it is good when track is maintained I would prefer to have Canadians on both ends as when the track gets snowy from the other people running Canadians and Fourniers the rear of my bike is all over the place due to traction being harder to find.

Had a great day on the ice Saturday with the neighbors, we clocked close to 50 miles on the ice tracks. Let's hope this warm up is followed by another cold spell

Ice Ice baby-img_20190202_140147-jpg

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Is that on your property? very cool. I missed this round of ice due to home renovations... Blah!

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Is that on your property? very cool. I missed this round of ice due to home renovations... Blah!
    Yes, well most of it. I own 30 acres of a 40 acre pond. Couple areas were thin ice, so we shortened the track a bit at first, but got more brave at the end of the day and started using most of the pond

Yamaha

Wow, 40 acres is a huge area of ice.

Paul_E_D

Some friends rode Pascoag Reservoir in RI yesterday. Didn't go due to family obligations, but looked like fun. 150 and 250 trail bikes and then a CRF450 MX'er. Maybe next time.

2013 ZX6R-636

Ice Ice baby-img_20191208_143224-2-jpg
    They said it was 8 inches, but it felt more like 6.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Ice Ice baby-img_20191208_143224-2-jpg
    They said it was 8 inches, but it felt more like 6.
    That's snowy. I'm hoping things freeze up smooth after this warm rain event. Mounting tires this week.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    That's snowy.
    Assuredly, just as much snow as ice. If I had common sense tires that allow skills to be learned I would have been home on the couch. Still looking for the right snow removal solution.

Anybody got a quad with a plow for sale??

The cheater tires have their place for sure. I don't have a plow solution either. So I wait for natural conditions to allow.

Paul_E_D

It's been a really weird season, but we are finally getting out on the ice lately. Ice has been between 4 and 8 inches. Not sure what's going to happen this week, but last week I scored great conditions thursday friday and saturday. Well, saturday was a little warm, but still fun. I have to admit I was wary of going on some spots where it looked like some melt has happened. All's well that ends well.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Last edited by typeone; 02-12-20 at 08:24 AM.
    Beta 200RR

Ahhhhh...our "new" NH legislature...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?