Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast

Ice Ice baby

Lifer

Re: Ice Ice baby

I would worry about things inside the tire causing damage to the tube. I had friends that had a lot of trouble keeping tubes from getting holes in them with some professionally built tires. In the end they decided that when the tube was inflated it was pressing against the liner enough to cause the screws to poke through and puncture the tube. They had to back out dozens of screws, file the tips flat and reinstall them.
    I could also see the edges of the liner being an issue.

My solution was to run ultra heavy tubes. Knock wood, I've yet to have a problem.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

You would not believe the inside of my fredettes. The inner liner is a water cut tire that is then bonded in place. the joints at the edge are super smooth. Screws do not poke though. There is a reason these things are pricey. But to me they are worth every penny.

Paul_E_D

does anyone use mousse instead of tubes? (i realize the install is BS)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

I'm trying to figure out how I can get the ttr on the ice just to experience it then decide if it's worth it to get good tires. I really need to get on a bike right now, road, dirt, or ice.

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

Lifer

Fredette tires are the ones we had problems with. I preemptively spent an evening backing out and trimming screws after the problems I saw Roland have. The liner didn't seem that special to me. I cannot remember if mine seemed bonded in place or just held by the screws. The edges didn't seem that smooth to my eye. Maybe they've upped their game.

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    No way you would get those in. Also, i run close to 40 pounds of pressure!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    No way you would get those in. Also, i run close to 40 pounds of pressure!
    Figuring out what size to use to accomplish the goals of ice riding and then seeing if they are even made in such a configuration could be a challenge forget about the mounting to the wheel lol.

If wheel sets were cheaper or you didn't mind re-lacing wheels and truing them maybe mount the ice tire on the wheel without a tube and fill it with either expanding or non-expanding foam like great stuff. Cheap rims laced to the hubs then foam it up, valve stem and rim lock holes to let expansion happen with the foam. When the tire is junk, typically takes a long time to happen if you treat them correctly, you cut the spokes and start over again. This was tongue in cheek but seems like it might actually work.

I'm going to look at it a bit more over the weekend and see what seems to fit and go from there I guess.

Next question. Which direction do the tires go? I've read some of you guys running them backwards before on accident, and also just read that some tires are built reverse of the tread direction on purpose. Hmm.
    The setup I've got are built with Fournier MF1 screws, which are basically cupped in one direction.
    I think I can kind of read the tire and figure out the angle of the screw for drive grip, etc, but is there a good way to know?

Lifer

I remember one set, the Fredette tires I think, had an arrow written on the sidewall in paint pen.

forniers are self evident as you said. fredette's are marked( rear is normal, front is reversed) Homemade ones suck either way. LOL

Day 1 in the books!
    Ice Ice baby-136978882_690593288322977_6170452625432530415_n-jpg

Paul_E_D

Nice! Looks like a good day.

Apparently an 18 inch bicycle tube does not equate to an 18 inch moto tube (diameter wise). Not even close to fitting around the wheel. So going to try squeezing the heavy duty one back in, and will see how it goes.
    Got half of the rear onto the wheel before I ran out of time today. Only one bloody knuckle so far.

Btw, looks like my rear is setup with normal tire direction, and front is opposite/reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post
    Nice! Looks like a good day.

Apparently an 18 inch bicycle tube does not equate to an 18 inch moto tube (diameter wise). Not even close to fitting around the wheel. So going to try squeezing the heavy duty one back in, and will see how it goes.
    Got half of the rear onto the wheel before I ran out of time today. Only one bloody knuckle so far.

Btw, looks like my rear is setup with normal tire direction, and front is opposite/reverse.
    I think kris said they used some 24in tubes. Not sure I'm remembering that correctly.

Paul_E_D

Got the heavy duty tube in the rear. Holy F. I don't think there's really enough room for it, but it's in there and we'll see what happens.

Have any of you guys run into clearance issues with the chain? I'm a bit nervous of the side snagging it, but don't want to run the rear wheel crooked. Might need to unscrew and try to re set that edge at a slight different angle.

They absolutely don't fit. It's likely folded in a few places. Only good thing is they may be too thick to pinch.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

I imagine the tire is going to seat where it seats. You could try to adjust the spokes to true the wheel away from the chain a bit, give it a little dish. (Or remove any dish it has.)
    The chain on my WR with cheater tires is very close. But I've never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I imagine the tire is going to seat where it seats. You could try to adjust the spokes to true the wheel away from the chain a bit, give it a little dish. (Or remove any dish it has.)
    The chain on my WR with cheater tires is very close. But I've never had a problem.
    Agreed, I've never had one touch, or heard of it.

Paul_E_D

Got the front mounted last night. What a bitch that was. Worse than the rear for sure.

Front seems good. Managed to play with the rear spokes a but and got a hair more clearance to the chain. At least it doesn't hit just by spinning it now.

Might take it to a pond just up the road for a shake down this afternoon.

There seems to be a group of guys that ride Lily pond in gilford quite a bit too, so might stop and check out their track soon. I go by it every day, looks nice. Any one know those guys?

rides bikes

Sorry for not skimming this thread to find the answer, but where can I see a schedule/calendar for ice racing events? Just looking to spectate (and inevitably get the bug to stud the tires on something). I keep seeing photos on IG after the fact.

They cancelled the entire ice racing season at Sturbridge. What you are seeing are likely just recreational guys riding.

Paul_E_D

rides bikes

What about up north? I’m seeing races in ME and NH

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    What about up north? I’m seeing races in ME and NH
    I don't know of any I nh. I think Maine may have some.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

rides bikes

Went up to Sabattus Pond on Sunday. They had a good crew of racers; about 4 guys on flathead Harleys, about 6-8 people on 2 stroke dirt bikes, a couple 4 stroke dirt bikes, and a few kids racing as well. Somewhat structured, but everyone was smiling. Sounds like they do it every Sunday.

It’s amazing how a family of beavers can alter a 30 acre pond. Over the summer I watched a beaver house grow almost by the day, which now stands about 5’ higher than the water level. Our prior years ice track went over it’s current location, this year the edges of the pond have 12” of ice while the center of the pond is open water in narrow strips leading from the house to the dam, and a couple leading to the shore. Surprising seeing the morning temps around 0 and seeing open water.
    Our other pond, it’s the first year it actually had water in it and it’s been frozen for a while. I haven’t been out on it yet, the 18” of snow pack getting to it has proven challenging. A thaw/refreeze would be ideal to get a couple ice weekends in this season on the smaller pond.

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    It’s amazing how a family of beavers can alter a 30 acre pond. Over the summer I watched a beaver house grow almost by the day, which now stands about 5’ higher than the water level. Our prior years ice track went over it’s current location, this year the edges of the pond have 12” of ice while the center of the pond is open water in narrow strips leading from the house to the dam, and a couple leading to the shore. Surprising seeing the morning temps around 0 and seeing open water.
    Our other pond, it’s the first year it actually had water in it and it’s been frozen for a while. I haven’t been out on it yet, the 18” of snow pack getting to it has proven challenging. A thaw/refreeze would be ideal to get a couple ice weekends in this season on the smaller pond.
    We are encouraged to actively shoot beavers on our lake. At the very least it's highly suggested that we call the maintenance crew if people are reluctant to do it themselves and they'll come dispatch them. Those fuckers can wreak havoc on small lakes & ponds.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I set out last weekend to carve out and plow a track on the lake. It's been a couple/few years since I've done it, but with the boy PLEADING with me to get the Raptor running and iced up I finally caved. My plan was to do something longer in length than in the past and I was shooting for a new layout. Once I FINALLY got down to the ice and it started taking shape, I was happy to see that it was indeed a larger layout than previous ones. But would you believe it? It's pretty much the same layout as the tracks I used to do! All I could do was laugh.

I tore it up a bit and the size of it compared to the past ones really opens it up for more speed. The boy had a couple buddies up w/ studded dirtbikes and he set out on the Raptor. They pretty much spent the entirety of last weekend out there. They only returned to warm up, get some munchies and fuel up. They had an absolute blast and already have plans for Sunday.

Sunday I'm also going to set out to plow a 1000' drag-type strip for sleds. I have a couple buddies that are set-up for ice drags and they're looking for a practice run with easy access. Queue Stonner! I may actually get the 900 SnoPro up & running and have a little fun with that too.

The downside to all this is I was getting the Rappy together and tuned-up & running again to sell it. The boy is fuckin' BEGGING me to keep it now, even though I plan to get him a sporty 400. And once the SnoPro is running, I'll probably never see him or it again. The trails around us are shit and most are closed again, but he'll disappear on our two lakes the minute I get it up & running.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?