Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Ice Ice baby

Re: Ice Ice baby

I would worry about things inside the tire causing damage to the tube. I had friends that had a lot of trouble keeping tubes from getting holes in them with some professionally built tires. In the end they decided that when the tube was inflated it was pressing against the liner enough to cause the screws to poke through and puncture the tube. They had to back out dozens of screws, file the tips flat and reinstall them.
    I could also see the edges of the liner being an issue.

My solution was to run ultra heavy tubes. Knock wood, I've yet to have a problem.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

You would not believe the inside of my fredettes. The inner liner is a water cut tire that is then bonded in place. the joints at the edge are super smooth. Screws do not poke though. There is a reason these things are pricey. But to me they are worth every penny.

Paul_E_D

does anyone use mousse instead of tubes? (i realize the install is BS)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

I'm trying to figure out how I can get the ttr on the ice just to experience it then decide if it's worth it to get good tires. I really need to get on a bike right now, road, dirt, or ice.

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    LRRS #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

Fredette tires are the ones we had problems with. I preemptively spent an evening backing out and trimming screws after the problems I saw Roland have. The liner didn't seem that special to me. I cannot remember if mine seemed bonded in place or just held by the screws. The edges didn't seem that smooth to my eye. Maybe they've upped their game.

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    No way you would get those in. Also, i run close to 40 pounds of pressure!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    No way you would get those in. Also, i run close to 40 pounds of pressure!
    Figuring out what size to use to accomplish the goals of ice riding and then seeing if they are even made in such a configuration could be a challenge forget about the mounting to the wheel lol.

If wheel sets were cheaper or you didn't mind re-lacing wheels and truing them maybe mount the ice tire on the wheel without a tube and fill it with either expanding or non-expanding foam like great stuff. Cheap rims laced to the hubs then foam it up, valve stem and rim lock holes to let expansion happen with the foam. When the tire is junk, typically takes a long time to happen if you treat them correctly, you cut the spokes and start over again. This was tongue in cheek but seems like it might actually work.

I'm going to look at it a bit more over the weekend and see what seems to fit and go from there I guess.

Next question. Which direction do the tires go? I've read some of you guys running them backwards before on accident, and also just read that some tires are built reverse of the tread direction on purpose. Hmm.
    The setup I've got are built with Fournier MF1 screws, which are basically cupped in one direction.
    I think I can kind of read the tire and figure out the angle of the screw for drive grip, etc, but is there a good way to know?

I remember one set, the Fredette tires I think, had an arrow written on the sidewall in paint pen.

forniers are self evident as you said. fredette's are marked( rear is normal, front is reversed) Homemade ones suck either way. LOL

Day 1 in the books!
    Ice Ice baby-136978882_690593288322977_6170452625432530415_n-jpg

Paul_E_D

Nice! Looks like a good day.

Apparently an 18 inch bicycle tube does not equate to an 18 inch moto tube (diameter wise). Not even close to fitting around the wheel. So going to try squeezing the heavy duty one back in, and will see how it goes.
    Got half of the rear onto the wheel before I ran out of time today. Only one bloody knuckle so far.

Btw, looks like my rear is setup with normal tire direction, and front is opposite/reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post
    Nice! Looks like a good day.

Apparently an 18 inch bicycle tube does not equate to an 18 inch moto tube (diameter wise). Not even close to fitting around the wheel. So going to try squeezing the heavy duty one back in, and will see how it goes.
    Got half of the rear onto the wheel before I ran out of time today. Only one bloody knuckle so far.

Btw, looks like my rear is setup with normal tire direction, and front is opposite/reverse.
    I think kris said they used some 24in tubes. Not sure I'm remembering that correctly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D